• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Who is fishing the ALS this weekend?

Ill be up there trying to get Jason Manning on some fish. Past few years we havent had much luck so I hope we at least get our 6 eyes.

Hey steve good luck sat. I here it could be interesting. Floating docks and docks under water. Lake from 3' low to way high go figure. They were saying today they cant open the dam because the rivers cant handle more water.

The way the Island lake dam has been run the last few years it'll probably be 3ft low again soon.

It's 3" high right now, so it's not way high. Last year it was at full pool, year before that 4' low, year before that full pool. With the exception of 2010, when we had a very early thaw, I think they are doing a fine job of managing the water levels.

Fishing has not been too bad actually on Island for me. Fish are biting. common theme was fish deep! 20 to 25 feet best success. Slip bobber and leach, or jig and half a crawler. Good Luck! Remember Island Lake is not a "lake". It is a reservoir designed to produce hydro electric power first, recreation second. The way the water levels are handled these days are so much less volatile than they were before the 1990's. 10 to 15 feet below the normal water level mark was not uncommon.

Theres fish all over from what Im hearing. It will be a real challenge to see where the nicer fish are. Im guessing we will do the old shallow early and deeper after 9 deal. We will let the fish tel us what they want. I just hope I can find some 16-20" eyes and not a bunch of them island lake 11"ers. wink

Wasn't able to make the event this year, but I am curious to see how it went. How did ya do? What was the winning weight? How much money was raised this year for Als?

That's good to hear. It just seems like over the last few years either the landings were under water, or you couldn't use them because there wasn't enough water. Maybe I've just been going out there at the wrong times. Either way I hope everybody had a good tourney. Nice to see people doing things for others.

It's a great event for a great cause. This year the final tally was $155,000! A new best for the tournament. Weather was awesome. First place was 10.8. Biggest fish caught was 3.0lb. Jmiller and myself didn't do to hot, threw everything but the kitchen sink at them. It's fun to be out there and support a great cause.

Ya we blanked as well. Lots of dinks but no keepers. Had 1 nice one on that would have taken big fish but oh well.

It was my first time and I had a blast! It was a well run and a great tournament for a great cause. Fishing was tough but we weighed 1 fish and I threw back one was probably legal but didn't want to chance it. And it was good to see you too Steve!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• jparrucci
      Very low, probably 2 feet lower than last year at ice out.
    • mbeyer
      what do they look like this spring?
    • SkunkedAgain
      I might have missed a guess, but here are the ones that I noted:   JerkinLips – March 27th, then April 7th Brianf. – March 28th Bobberwatcher – April…. MikeG3Boat – April 10th SkunkedAgain – early April, then April 21st   Definitely a tough year for guesses, as it seemed to be a no-brainer early ice out. Then it got cold and snowed again.
    • mbeyer
      MN DNR posted April 13 as Ice out date for Vermilion
    • Brianf.
      ^^^45 in the morning and 47 in the evening
    • CigarGuy
      👍. What was the water temp in Black Bay? Thanks....
    • Brianf.
      No, that wasn't me.  I drive a 621 Ranger. 
    • CigarGuy
      So, that was you in the camo lund? I'm bummed, I have to head back to the cities tomorrow for a few days, then back up for at least a few weeks. Got the dock in and fired up to get out chasing some crappies till opener!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Lots of ice on the main basin, but it is definitely deteriorating.  Some anglers have been fishing the open water at the mouth of the Rainy River in front of the Lighthouse Gap.  The rest of the basin is still iced over. Pike enthusiasts caught some big pike earlier last week tip up fishing in pre-spawn areas adjacent to traditional spawning areas.  8 - 14' of water using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring has been the ticket.  Ice fishing for all practical purposes is done for the year. The focus for the basin moving forward will be pike transitioning into back bays to spawn,  This is open water fishing and an opportunity available as the pike season is open year round on Lake of the Woods. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. With both the ice fishing and spring fishing on the Rainy River being so good, many are looking forward to the MN Fishing Opener on Saturday, May 11th.  It should be epic. On the Rainy River...  An absolutely incredible week of walleye and sturgeon fishing on the Rain Rainy River.     Walleye anglers, as a rule, caught good numbers of fish and lots of big fish.  This spring was one for the books.   To follow that up, the sturgeon season is currently underway and although every day can be different, many boats have caught 30 - 40 sturgeon in a day!  We have heard of fish measuring into the low 70 inch range.  Lots in the 60 - 70 inch range as well.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  Open water is continuing to expand in areas with current.  The sight of open water simply is wetting the pallet of those eager for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th.   A few locals were on the ice this week, targeting pike.  Some big slimers were iced along with some muskies as well.  If you like fishing for predators, LOW is healthy!  
    • Brianf.
      Early bird gets the worm some say...   I have it on good authority that this very special angler caught no walleyes or muskies and that any panfish caught were released unharmed.        

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.