• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Never said it would fix all but some yes. any money they would gt from it would be more money than they are getting right now. and you never know you start getting some "city" folk to drive down main street on the way to the access, you might get a few new business owners out of the deal....its all hypothetical, But so is the "the muskies will kill everything" argument.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smeese

• luckycrank

• Yooperguy

• hawkeye43

It aint about the "fish". People aren't worried about that fact. It is the Musky "fisherman" they are worried about. I can't say that I blame them either.

I don't think the stocking will take place. There are just too many people in this area that are against it.

It aint about the "fish". People aren't worried about that fact. It is the Musky "fisherman" they are worried about. I can't say that I blame them either.

I don't think the stocking will take place. There are just too many people in this area that are against it.

Dont be to sure. There are a lot of people against abama care and look what happened there...

Quote:
We dont need or want the high filunting muskie crowd&their big 200hp boats&attitudes in our small community.Let them stay on french&other muskie lakes,the people of waterville,who live here fish,here,should have a say in this.

Quote:

Not sure what to say that hasnt been said a million times before, but cmon. Really, your gonna lump all musky fisherman into "that" category? I like to fish muskies. I also like to fish for bass, panfish, walleye, even an occasional carp. I dont fish out of "a big 200HP boat". I like to think I dont have an "attitude". I dont classify myself as a "muskie fisherman". I do consider myself a fisherman in general and have respect for all other fisherman and the individual fish they target, regardless of if I fish for them or not. To lump "muskie fisherman" into a category that degrades what these guys like to do shows a complete lack of respect. On a side note, I have seen many "walleye fisherman" running around in 200 HP boats. Does that lump them into the above mentioned group?

Lol. This is downright funny. Musky "fisherman"? Feel free to enlighten me on how im a different "fisherman" when I put my lindy rig away and cast a bucktail? Or is it about when I put my 17 foot crestliner away and pull out the magic 21 foot ranger that every musky fisherman has in his arsenal.

Btw thsts a great business model the people of Waterville have adopted. Keep people away. Not sure ive heard of that one before. I will certainly make sure after reading the viewpoints on this thread, that when I get over that way in a boat, or with the ice shack, or for any other reason.....ill spend my money before I get there. If this musky "fisherman" isnt welcome, its all good, any other town around there will welcome the business im sure.

Not sure I have even posted anything that ignorant. I thought catfishermen were the bottom feeders around here :)the people in the area really do not matter as the lake is not a private lake by any means, although they may think they own it and think they know whats better for it. The DNR will take the steps they need to, to make it appear they care for all parties involved and then they will do what they want to do. Hopefully your still around when the final decision drops, but it will take more then a couple ornary old timers opinions to stop the inevitable. Again lets not get this thread locked but come up with some sensible conversation.

See this is your Vocal minority, I too in the last 2 years have made sure that I get every thing I need be for going to Waterville. I don't feel wanted there but the lake is PUBLIC property. It belongs to EVERYONE! If I ever get to fish muskies out there I'll try not to inconvinance everyone with my 16ft boat with the 25 horse Yammy. Just wondering, what do you guys think of the bass guys or the guy out there with the 454 inboard that flies out there at about 60 mph?

I fixed my quote....how big was she?

I've said it before. I'll say it again. I've caught a musky in Tetonka.

Mighty comical you guys are. Doesn't take much to get ya riled up either.

The folks in the area only like smoothie fisherman. Don't you know Waterville is the bully capital of the world?grin

I know not all musky fisherman are bad. Of course they are not. It is just maybe a stigma that comes with the territory of Muskies and you all know what I mean.

The DNR will not just toss them in there or they would have already. The reason it hasn't been done yet, is cause people are/were against it.

Yooper, noone likes an dum-dum with alot of power(454) buzzing around the lake. No matter which one it is.

Not everyone in and around Waterville is against Musky fishermen and stocking of muskys in Lake Tetonka.I have fished in all parts of mn., The missori river and central Canada. Never have I run into people in these areas who are against stocking of any spieces of fish, except Waterville.

Your not gonna be able to get me riled up....I just don't see why you so strongly believe that the opinion of the little town of waterville is going to keep the stocking from happening. I am surprised it has managed to delay it this long. I will certainly sit and chat with a couple of cane poles if you want to fish for them bullheads. You can have mine and I will bring the crawlers. Sorry if I seem stubborn headed about the subject, but I hope we can all fish happy someday. PS Willy if you want to go hook into a couple let me know. I know where some have been hanging out and they are right in your area ;)You can even use my gear.

The green slim has alot to do with the curly-leaf pond weed that has died off. Those weed grew most of the winter with little snow cover and the beds, I thought were thicker than ever this year. The weed keeps spreading from seeds, every year the slim will keep get worse with more curly pond weed there is.

I never have or ever will be in favor of the spraying of the weeds in a lake because the spray kills all weeds, you need the native weed for the balance of a lake. I have never sparyed the weeds in front of our property. Just like PCB and mercury, what will the spray do to the fish and us when we eat them.

Just like milfol and zebra mussels, curly leaf pond weed is an invasive species that was brought from other lakes because someone didn't clean their boat and trailer. We all are getting that education now too late.

Yooperguy, you said if you people put more effort into water quality issues as fighting muskie stocking you might have that problem. Maybe if more people like you would put more effort into fight more about water quality than you do about muskie stocking, we all would be better off. The lakes belong to everyone, but not everyone wants to help make the lakes better. Everyone wants a party, noone stays to clean up.

I got a great idea. Lets have the DNR stock muskies in every lake in MN, just like they do with walleyes and northerns. than all would be right in the world.

For what its worth I am always collecting trash from others both on the ice and at the access, last winter I took a car battery off of Tetonka and this summer before the river went back up I pulled some tires out of there with my Kayak, Its ok to be passionate about something you like especially if it is not an easy thing to do on a local level due to lack of lakes available. No one wants em in every lake, Tetonka is just a great candidate do to forage, structure, etc....I grew up on the Cannon Lake shore and still often travel back to Cannon, French or go to Fox on occasion. I am really just curious as to why they are so disliked by so many in your area and can't get a straight answer from anyone, just a bunch of stereotypes. Anyways if you don't know us you don't know how much effort we are putting into area cleanup or conservation.

Thats the best thing I could have heard sounds like there is another size class to last for some years. Lots of 40"ers and some over 50 but this is the first smaller one I have heard of thanks for the report

Wasn't more than a pound and a half...but indeed a ski.

That is about the perfect eating size. grin

It had a great mayflies hatch this week. Very hard on walleyes, but did get some nice small mouth. The fish we caught were full of mayflies.It got very windy on Thursday, downed some very large trees and knocked out power and telephone. I would like to go back again. Did have a great time with the family and got to know my son's future bride better.

I was out on tetonka this weekend, and noticed dead carp floating all over. Any theories as to why?

i saw all the dead carp too. did you notice they were all the same size. about 15" if i had to guess. maybe scott can tell us why.

If they were all of the same size, its a good guess that they all occupied the same ~water depth. Most likely shallow and with high heat and weeds dying off i could see low O2 being the cause.

If they were all of the same size, its a good guess that they all occupied the same ~water depth. Most likely shallow and with high heat and weeds dying off i could see low O2 being the cause.

Bingo. Likely going to see more, especially in the lagoons. Water is crazy warm right now and the curlyleaf is dying off and using oxygen in the decomposition process.

ya the water temp toinght was 86 and 87 in some spots. walleyes and northerns didnt seem to mind it in less then 10 feet though.

ya the water temp toinght was 86 and 87 in some spots. walleyes and northerns didnt seem to mind it in less then 10 feet though.

Went out to throw some lures last Sunday and moved a couple fish. Caught a nice 35" Pike......fatty too, you will never guess what it bit on.....Walleye colored Bulldog.....just sayin wink

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:
In your opinion what percentage of area anglers fish for muskies? ?

in your opinion how many dont ?

In your opinion how do you think that percentage would change with stockings In Tetonka ? my guess is very few over the long term.

To the first Q, It is a silly one at that. I think Less than 1 percent of "area fisherman" fish for Muskies. Less then 1 percent of area lakes have Muskies.

Q #2 I think "area fishermen" would fish for them more often if they are in the lake.

Walleyes are just another fish!!!!!!

For people like me who have pretty much got the Walleye, Northern Pike, Bass thing figured out. We would like a new challenge in this area.

So what percentage of local fisherman do you think target Smallmouth Bass on a given day on local lakes?

Quote:
86 and 87 in some spots

Once water reaches that kind of temp it cannot hold oxygen well. So if you find them shallow there will be deep water nearby. Plus we are talking surface water temp.

I am the original poster. Looking to see if I can get some answers that are back on target to the topic on hand. I have been hitting tetonka in early morning this past week. Gone out twice and each time have had great success. 1st time we got a 20 inch, 18 inch, 17 inch and 16 inch walleye along with two large large mouth bass.

The second time we got a 23 inch and two 18 inch walleye. I have been fishing from 5 30 to about 8 30 am. So my question is this. what happens at 8 30. do they just stop biting or are they moving somewhere else. what can I do to keep catching them, or are they just shutting off all together? thanks for any insight.