• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Flipper not to burst your bubble or start any thing... but if you follow that cannon river...technically its connected to the Mississippi River a natural body of water for Muskies. Muskies like muskgrass(chara) to reproduce. Who knows when or if this natural resource(ideal for natural reproducing muskies) became extinct or ever existed within the cannon river system. Unless you've been here B.C. then I understand. :-) My main point is follow that cannon river all the way towards Red Wing on Google Earth and you'll see they connect. laugh 2cents

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smeese

• luckycrank

• Yooperguy

• hawkeye43

The good thing is they can't reproduce like carp if 20 years down the road we find out they have a negative impact on a lake.

I did see that they didn't stock northerns since 2002 for 7 years until 2009, I wonder why?

I did see that they didn't stock northerns since 2002 for 7 years until 2009, I wonder why?

hawkeye, you must have missed the MDAA meeting where this was addressed. For yours and others benefit, you should know that stocking is linked to division of waters numbers (DOW#) for record keeping purposes. So when pike fry are stocked into Gray's pond or other upstream adjacent waters, they won't show up for Tetonka's DOW# (40-0031-00) as those adjacent waters have their own DOW#.

I'll give another example to illustrate the point. hawkeye pointed out that Tetonka on Lakefinder only shows pike stocked in 2002 and 2010, when they've been stocked in alternating years for the past decade. Clear lake in Waseca has been stocked annually for the past decade. The MDAA has partnered with the DNR to help stock transplants when winterkill is imminent on Goose Lake so they can vouch for the fish being stocked. Fish stocked to Goose or the wetland behind Keisler's campground or any of the other marshes that drain to Clear will show up under their respective DOW#s; a closer look at Clear on Lakefinder only shows pike stocked in 2011.

There was no fix on Tetonka to stop pike stocking just as there was no fix on Clear or any of the other lakes. The problem with fish stocking reporting on Lakefinder is known and is being worked out by the DNR's website information team and fisheries management database record keepers.

Both Clear and Tetonka as well as numerous lakes in south central Minnesota have been the beneficiaries of northern pike fry stocking. The Waterville fisheries office has had to make cuts to programming but one thing they refused to cut, and they are quite proud of this point, is northern pike fry stocking. It's cheap, takes little time right after ice out, and has been effective.

From gillnet catches, to angler reports, to the logs from the MDAA winter derby, Tetonka has been pumping out some nice sized pike and decent numbers.

Sorry for the book report but the clarification was needed.

Scott, Some times we need to listen to the book reports better, I was at that meeting when that was talked about that,just didn't remember about that the stockings didn't show up if they were in tributares. What blows me away is the numbers of pike that gets put into Clear Lake from Goose Lake every year. Thanks Scott

Quote:
who's angry? just stating my opinion. I have a passion for the lake and fishing it , its and amazing fishery and I don't see the need for muskies in it. Everything we do in life has pros and cons Nothing is one sided not evan muskie stocking ...except maybe my opinion on it!

Let's see. There is only one Muskie lake in this (large) area and that is one to many?

I'm from LeCenter and there are 50 lakes within 20 miles. Only one has Muskies. To get to the landing on French may put the lake over 20 miles away. French only has one boat landing with a small parking lot and is bordered with no trespassing signs. In most summers you have to walk your boat out 100yds before you can put your motor down. Washington has two nice landings, Madison has three landings and other lake accuse. Tetonka has two landings + accuse from The state park. So for French to be one of south central Mn s best lakes, it sure is a "fatherless male child" to get on the lake. In my opinion French is a semi private lake. The only reason it has a landing is so the DNR will stock it. IMHO!

So are you saying the DNR stocks a lake that no one can fish because of access conditions? money well spent then !

maybe the DNR should consider spending that muskie funding on access conditions on area lakes.

Do you feel that muskie anglers from central and northern minnesota would

travel to Tetonka to angle for muskies, when the qaulity of muskie fishing in those areas is far better than what is the southern part of the state ?

In your opinion what percentage of area anglers fish for muskies? ?

in your opinion how many dont ?

In your opinion how do you think that percentage would change with stockings In Tetonka ? my guess is very few over the long term.

Once again I am not angry. It just doesen't seem right to me. call it as you see it

Im changing my tune a little bit. Ive said im not a musky guy. I wasnt until 2 weeks ago until I had the action I did on Vermilion. So......i still really dont care if they stock Tetonka or not. What I will say is that being so close to the Mississippi you wont see me drive twice as far to Tetonka to fish walleyes. BUT.....if there were skis in there I would venture over that way.....i think im hooked. I certainly would find myself taking a break from chucking and try for some eyes.....meaning I would need crawlers and leeches....meaning thats money spent in Waterville that wouldnt normally be. And im sure that im not the exception. And that doesnt count stopping before or after the lake for food and/or sodas ect ect. I know ALOT of people here in Rochester and the surrounding area who venture to the metro or to French who would all certainly put Tetonka on their lists. So if the people in that area want to keep that growing segment of people away.....well that just truly boggles my mind.

Being I troll for 90% of my walleyes, hooking a musky is a huge bonus. The DNR knows very well what they are doing when it comes to stocking species in lakes.

P.S. Pat...take me out fishin!!! smile

Let's see. There is only one Muskie lake in this (large) area and that is one to many?

So for French to be one of south central Mn s best lakes, it sure is a "fatherless male child" to get on the lake. In my opinion French is a semi private lake.

+1 I think it would be cool if we kept the Muskie stocking on the hush for Tetonka so that there wouldn't be the increase of traffic in 8-10 years. I think that is one side where I agree with the lake shore owners! But with the fishing you always have to look for the future which is why I am conservative when it comes to catching and releasing. This lake has proven that it can produce a fish of a lifetime. Let the legend continue!!

I see where your coming from I guess.

In a perfect world I suppose it could generate business for waterville area ,

I go to the lake prepared with food and drink, live bait , before I leave my house and seldomly stop.

largly because I am on the water before any business in waterville are open.

p.s Matt why would you wanna go with me ? I cant troll, I fish for BASS mostly,you would probally not feel safe that close to the water with out gunwhale up to your arm pitts.. and your line is not strong enough for the BIG S@#! I catch LOL! grin Ill take you to a spot and if you dont go back you have no pulse!

but anytime bro! besides I think I might be able to convert ya into a bass guy!

I understand the love for the fishery but this is a huge opportunity for southern Minnesota! We have 3 fishable waters with musky in them. Fox lake near Fairmont, French, and Zumbro lake north of Rochester. The DNR is seeing an opportunity it can't pass up as it has already proven to produce trophy sized fish. Look at the smiles and jitters this fish creates. This is no Common Carp or stunted Pike. This is the Elusive Musky that MANY chase. Having the population of Mankato (94,149) and Rochester (106,769) equaling 200,000 people. You are giving them opportunities of memories that will last beyond a lifetime. If there was a way to get Madison Lake or Lake Washington stocked I'm fine with that because those are both unique lakes in themselves but the opportunity at this time is Lake Tetonka and we have to take advantage of this.

I got my first musky rod combo when I was 13 at Christopherson's Bait & Tackle. My uncle and I went to Lobster Lake in Alexandria I was pitching a shallow crank bait and hooked a 27 inch muskie... I was hooked ever since! I Caught a 40" Ski the next year on the fourth of July with speed boats cruising all around. This was because I have a cabin in Alexandria with the lakes of opportunity around me. 10 years later I now I have plenty of pictures and stories to tell friends and family. Nothing makes me happier than being on the water pitching for Ski's. It is now my turn to pass this opportunity to someone else!

You ask why Tetonka... to see a musky following your prop as stated in an earlier post. You'd be lucky to see your prop in French lake with the water clarity. Half of the fun is seeing these beasts follow and know where they hang out. Attached is a Ski' from Tetonka. Vote Muskies you won't be disappointed. full-34733-21626-bestpointmusky.jpg

If you read the fishing report from this weeks Outdoor News the Muskies have been biting on Tetonka. wink

I was on the lake today, Tell me how it is to see any fish in the blue-green water thats there??? The lake will be like this until turns over in fall and we haven't even got to the dog days of summer yet. But the good thing is the smell is down a little, but the heat this week will take care of that, great thing is I will be up on Lake Vermilion for 5 days.

I was on the lake today, Tell me how it is to see any fish in the blue-green water thats there??? The lake will be like this until turns over in fall and we haven't even got to the dog days of summer yet. But the good thing is the smell is down a little, but the heat this week will take care of that, great thing is I will be up on Lake Vermilion for 5 days.

Now just think, if you people would put as much effort into water quallity issues as fighting muskie stocking you might not have that problem. Also when you go to the next lake shore meeting why don't you ask the 2 of your members that were at the DNR meetings who was accually responsible for getting this started. Here's a hint, he lives in Waterville and doesn't fish muskies. whistle

I was on the lake today, Tell me how it is to see any fish in the blue-green water thats there???

I'm guessing he was referring to my post where i said i had a musky following my boat around...Did i visually see it - NO.

It was visible on my graph (898cSI). Fish would hang out under the boat as we trolled. No other fish besides a musky will follow a boat around. I've experienced the tendencies of muskies to hang around your ice fishing hole as you catch crappies as well as their tendency to follow your boat around waiting for an easy meal, which could be a startled bait fish in the prop wash. Also, i though the water was quite clear when this happened. Yes, there was green particles throughout the lake, but generally the water was good. This was a full 3 weeks ago and i have no doubt the water clarity has decreased.

Nice musky above ^^

I hope to catch one accidently some day.

Now just think, if you people would put as much effort into water quallity issues as fighting muskie stocking you might not have that problem. Also when you go to the next lake shore meeting why don't you ask the 2 of your members that were at the DNR meetings who was accually responsible for getting this started. Here's a hint, he lives in Waterville and doesn't fish muskies. whistle

Well then you need to stop farming and tiling. It ain't gonna happen. Our lakes in this area are the greenest in all of Minnesota. South or west of here they don't have the problem as the lakes are more sandy and they also don't have heavy developement around each lake. North of here you just don't have the amount of farm runoff. Our lakes in this area are a joke much past July. Green slimeholes. You can still catch fish but dam they get yuck some years.

That's the attitude! eek I think if some of these county ditches that most all of the Ag. run off comes from went to wetlands instead of directly into the lake or Cannon river we could cut down on alot of the nutriants. Also if the Lake assoc would quit killing off the weeds that also would help and they have been better about it in the last 2 years. And with the wetlands it also would give Pike thier spawning habitat back which would be a plus to OUR fishing. Just saying. wink

Or,you could just keep a few 12inchers for lunch.Its not like there arent enough in tetonka&they always say the smaller fish produce less eggs.

Everyone,Iknow who lives in waterville&have fished tetonka their whole lives,do NOT want muskies in tetonka.We dont need or want the high filunting muskie crowd&their big 200hp boats&attitudes in our small community.Let them stay on french&other muskie lakes,the people of waterville,who live here fish,here,should have a say in this.

Then I suggest you guys in Waterville build a big fence around those sacred grounds and keep it all to yourself. This would in fact keep all of the "rich people" from the cities out. This is exactly whats wrong with this country today everyone is a victim and everyone thinks they are entitled to something in which they are not. Its hard to sense sarcasm with the written word so I will give you the benefit of the doubt about the 12" walleye comment. But heres a tip on walleye fishing on tetonka, and I must say I am know expert but.... "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." So after catching a dozen 12" walleyes in a 10 minutes maybe you should try moving to a different spot.

Everyone,Iknow who lives in waterville&have fished tetonka their whole lives,do NOT want muskies in tetonka.We dont need or want the high filunting muskie crowd&their big 200hp boats&attitudes in our small community.Let them stay on french&other muskie lakes,the people of waterville,who live here fish,here,should have a say in this.

I technically still live there, Fish there and I am in favor of them.. So dont Assume all of "us" are against it.....sorry to say but its time for waterville to catch up with the rest of the world... Have you seen how pitiful main street looks? How many business's have closed? How bad there "fixed" roads look? Im not even talking about the giant construction going on now..I bet your one of those locals that runs to W mart in faribo or waseca to buy your clothes and groceries too.....I think a little bit of that "city" money would fix some of those problems nicely.....hate on me if you want but in the end...the town needs it.

Dreaming about muskies generating enough revenue for waterville to fix those problems.Is like saying the Vikings are gonna win a super bowl because there getting a new stadium.