• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing line bad after one week?

Pig_sticka

Question

my friend talked me into switching lines. i am a stren guy) i wont name the brand that is a failure. yesterday i went to try it out, it got a good knot in it and i broke it off n the rest of the line on the reel was just eaten up. usually this happens after a few months or something when you get down into the spool but not like this. i am definitely going back to stren but what was wrong with the other line. my friend couldn't even tie a knot with his on 6# test(kept breaking, just trying to tie it on). is this just bad line we bought? maybe a year old already? i cant imagine stores keeping these on the shelves though for over a year. i didn't get it off the discount section either.

14 answers to this question

All companies have bad runs of line from time to time, of course some more than others.

Keep in mind also that line deteriates from sun,use and water...not from sitting on the shelf. Line has a pretty good shelf life.

My guess is that it wasn't the age of the line but a problem with the manufacturing...try and bring it back to the store.

I bought a new reel at a major sporting goods store last spring and had it spooled right there. I headed up north for opener and I lost 4 lures on the first morning of the the trip. The line would tie a good knot but break like six feet up the line every time. It was like it was knicked a little. I went to the bait shop that night and had four reels strung up with Fireline and did not have a break the rest of the summer. That made me scared of mono and use superlines on all of my reels. I would rather sacrifice a little visibility with my line than worry about breaking it every time I set the hook. Superlines might be a little more expensive, but they last at least two years+.

so going with fireline would be better than just going with the common mono line?
i usually just use a open faced reel(the one with a bail), for everything. does fireline work the same? i am either casting bassbaits, jigging panfish-walleyes, casting walleyes-northerns, casting trout, fishing near rocks. should i just go with 8# fireline, or should i go 8# stren regular mono? i am not very fond of berkley right now besides their power grubs.

Actually.. funny enough I have had simmialr problems with Stren. I won't buy Stren after the line I had spooled on my ultralight got all kinky and rough and bird-nested on every other cast, after one month! I've had a few other problems with stren as far as getting big messes and lots of unexplained kinks and knots. I've allways had my best luck with Trilene XT. It's outlasted Stren and the Bargin monos I've spooled over twice as long, and I get very few birdsnests. It's also easier to make knots with.

I'm almost 100% mono fisherman. The only time I'll use braided or superlines would be for tip-ups, or maybe Flatheads or Stugeon, if I ever plan on fishing for something that big.

Why? I've allways viewed fishing as a sport; where a large fish has an equal chance of breaking the line or shaking the hook. I do not like superlines, nor do I like chemically sharpend hooks. I like to hear the scream of a reel's drag, rather than dead sticking a fish in, knowing the line won't break.

Also-- monos work so much better for live bait and finnese fishing; espically when the water is clear. Spiderwire and super-braids will get noticed in clear water and can deter heavily pressured fish. I've never tried floro's; though I've heard they have a lower break-strength than mono. I have a spool of P-line co-polmyer; which is the closest thing to a "super line" I will prally use. It has to be clear. Plus... it really sucks getting snagged with superline.. Mono's stretch helps break lures off snags, and if not; it's much easier to break off.

I have had some of the same problems with mono as you guys have. Usually it happens if I get some of the cheap stuff or the stuff that is on special because it is old, but i have gotten some bad batches of line before. I haven't had any problems with my trilene xl here lately so I have to say that is my top pick most of the time. However, I have found that some of the superlines (i.e. spiderwire, or fireline) work great when you use a mono leader. I really like that set up when doing live bait rigs, slip bobbers, jigs and worm rigs. I think that for cranks and other similar lures mono is the choice though, it has a little give to it to keep the hooks in the fishes mouth. I think that if you want one line to use it would be some good quality mono. ><>
deadeye

I agree that mono is the way to go if you use one line for everything. Fireline is definitely useful for certain applications, but I find it less versatile. It's a lot easier to fight a fish on mono in my opinion.

Would Iron Silk be considered a mono? Also what kind of stretch does this line have? Thanks.

------------------
"Leave nothing to fate"

I agree with Crawlerman. I have had major problems with Stren. So many in fact that I will never buy it. Although sometimes I do purchase it on clearance sometimes for backer on my reels with superlines grin.gif
Also Fireline is not the answer for everything. Like most people said in here it is good for certain applications but not for all. Expecially Finesse applications. As for the "Bad" Trilene just send it back to the manfacturer. They will replace it. I bought a bad spool once 3000 of #10 XL. I just sent it back with a note and they sent me a new one. Plus you can tell it's bad when you are spooling it. Therefore minimizing the chance of losing lures or fish!

Good Luck smile.gif

Chev

I agree that any brand line can have bad spools. I've had it happen with most all of the major companies. That is one reason I respool quite often, usually about once out of every 7-10 times on the water and almost every day during a tourney (depending on what methods of fishing was done). Another key thing that many people overlook is to check the guides on the rods. It is very simple. Just take a cotton swab and run it over the inside of each guide. If there is a nick or rough spot, get that guide replaced. It is amazing what one little rough spot will do to mono line. Also, don't secure your lures or hooks in the guide eyes. If your rod doesn't have a place near the handle to place a hook, secure it in the feet of the guides, not the inside ring.

Good fishing,
Dean Thorn

Good pointer with the cue tip on the rod's
ferrules, but don't stop there. Equally
important is the spool and bail on the reel.
Make sure there aren't any nicks on the spool's edge, and that the bail isn't worn
down.

The type of fishing you do will also effect
how long your line's life will be. A good
example is fishing live bait under a bobber.
Most people do not use a swivel in this application and there is a ton of line
twist even with the best low memory line.
Add to this, some current like a stream or
a river, and it will compound the issue. A small barrel swivel installed can go a
long ways to minimize this problem.

Fireline is okay, but I have noticed that it
can become frayed and tattered from a lot of
casting. It also "digs in" on your spool.
You don't want to put it on too stiff
a pole either, as your normal mono hookset
you're use to,will rip it right out of the
fishes mouth.

This year I am trying P Line mono and the
near spider wire stealth.Will post if any
problems crop up with them.

Opie: So are U going to use that P line for Cats by the locks??????? Let me know when U are coming up and I WILL make sure we can spend a couple of hrs on the water, maybe even go for a morning of sturgeon.....
Take Care.

I've never once had to return Trilene Pro or Tournament Strength, whatever it's now called.

I can say that ****** likes to put their old stock back on the shelves each spring, but with the change in packaging from the manufacturer you can tell which one is old and which is new...

------------------
Chells

I had that problem with mono a while back and it just stumped me.I thought it was a bad spool so I changed lines.Next time out smae problem.I switched brands and again easy break offs.I finnaly figured it out.I kept my rods ready to go in my boat.I had replaced the carpet in my boat and glued it in.The little bit of fumes from the glue curing deteriorated the mono.This lasted more than a whole season.Do not stow your rods nest to gas tanks,paint or in a new boat with fresh carpet glue!

------------------
Minnesota River Guided Fishing
"fishhead"
[email protected]
www.mnriverguidedfishing.com