• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Special Thanks!!

Ebiz

Spent Saturday morning south of Taylor’s Falls, water came up quite a bit from last week and the fish were pretty tight lipped.

But... I just wanted to say a special thanks to the three older guys in the 17' Lund who helped me finally make the decision to buy another rod and reel, I couldn't have done it without you!

The fishing was pretty slow on Saturday so around 10:30 or so I completely understand what you were probably thinking:

Guy #1: "Hey Guys! We haven’t had a bite in a while now, I’m thinking it might be a good idea change it up a bit and head up river, do you guys think we should try it up there for a while?"

Guy #2: “Good call! I think by now everyone in this stretch probably knows that we’re expert fisherman and know this river like the back of our hands since we’ve been motoring around yapping about it incessantly for the past 3 hours. Let’s Go!”

Guy #3: “I agree, let’s try something different. When you missed that bite an hour ago, I’m so glad that you were able to tell that it was for sure a huge walleye, plus it was really generous of you to loudly explain to everyone how to catch them and then go on and on about how you now have them dialed in. I’m sure everyone here really appreciates the lessons we’ve taught them this morning on how to properly fish the river!

Guy #1: “Sounds like a plan boys!! See that guy in that 14 footer, fishing over there on the other side – the one who’s anchored way away from the main channel and talking to that couple in the canoe?”

Guy #3: “Yeah I see them! Nevermind that this area is a slow speed zone with a minimal wake restriction. Let’s make sure to get going full speed, that way they‘ll be aware of the fact that our boat is fast and that we are expert fisherman in a hurry to get to our next hotspot. Remember, be sure to get as close as possible so they don’t miss us!!”

-----------------------------

Those nice people in the canoe who stopped by to chat? I was kinda tired of talking to them anyways so I appreciate the distraction and excitement. Since your wake pulled my anchor and I was busy trying to get the motor started to avoid crashing into shore, I wasn’t quick enough to grab my rod as it snagged on the rocks and shot overboard into the current. Glad I had just freshly respooled last week so my line was good and strong! Plus, those people in the canoe looked like they really enjoyed their rollercoaster ride as well.

So long story short, I've been contemplating getting rid of that St Croix/Shimano combo for a while now and upgrading but you really helped me make the decision to pull the trigger.

Hope you guys were able to "almost" catch a few more huge "walleyes" before you had to head home!

Typically a bad day of fishing is usually better than any day sitting at work ... I guess maybe this would be an exception. Bummer on the lost rod combo.

LOL, A boat wake on the St. Croix?!?! cry

Buddy get used to it. Blows to lose such an expensive combo, but don't be a victim, pay attention to your surroundings and protect your stuff.

No sympathy here.

Let me know when they almost run you over and you have to shine them last minute with a spotlight to get their attention. Then i'll listen.

Wait till a 40' boat goes by you at half plane...then you'll get a rollercoaster ride grin

TW,

In his defense, the upper part of the river where he was fishing is no wake and yet folks regularly blast through the area. I have been on both the upper and lower Croix and experienced the boat wakes in a small boat and you have to be vigilant in both areas. Just an FYI, for those of you that don't know, did you realize that you are responsible for the damage your wake causes. In the event you cause a canoe or small boat to capsize and if someone got hurt or killed, you are liable. Know the rules. Many of the bigger boats on the river don't. Sad but true, gotta have a liscense to drive a car but any schlepp can buy a cruiser and go for a Spin.

Tunrevir~

Yes, in his defense is correct. I fish all up and down the river in a kayak and canoe. First off, I can't say how many times boats have taken the effort to slow down when they come near me. I appreciate it every time and we share the "how's it going" wave. When I'm fishing down near Afton I'm very careful about my location depending on traffic, wind etc and often stay very close to shore. When I'm up near Taylor Falls I expect some civility as it relates to the rules.

Maybe i came off a little harsh. I guess my point was; what could you have done differently to make that situation go better? I would have gotten mad at myself for not being prepared rather than the other boater.

I plan my outings by being prepared for worst case senarios, whether that be rain, storms, unexpected waves, motor failure, near collisions, etc...Some of us who stugeon fish the Croix have lights ready to flash at boats to avoid collisions. Keep your boat tidy and ready for a rollercoaster ride...It's just like in your vehicle - be prepared to slam on the brakes, and that means all the junk laying on the seats will fly off - so put your stuff where it's safe.

HOpe you have a better season.

Quote:
LOL, A boat wake on the St. Croix?!?!

Buddy get used to it. Blows to lose such an expensive combo, but don't be a victim, pay attention to your surroundings and protect your stuff.

No sympathy here.

I would completely agree with you if I was fishing down by Hudson but I wasn't. That's why I go up there to avoid those clowns. And I was completely aware of my surroundings, watching this guy there was no way I would have imagined he would even think to take the route he did.

No problem, I'll be fine without your sympathy. I know the post was probably a little more than needed but it was more of a reminder for everyone to never overestimate anyone's common sense.

a reminder for everyone to never overestimate anyone's common sense.

Exactly!!

Your best offence is a better defense.

I have been fishing from Somerset to Taylors Falls for many moons and can count on one hand the number of times I have seen someone follow the slow speed rules. Last night I got buzzed by a rig you would see on Mille lacs.

Welcome hooks! And yes, sadly common sense is no longer very common. frown

There's always two sides to a story. A canoer and small boaters know the risk he or she is taking when they're on the water. They should know the possibility of other boaters creating wakes, big or small. Once they're on the water paddling or idling, they have fully accepted the risk. Of course there's common sense, common courtesy and then law. I always slow down in narrow areas when I see boaters fishing or canoers. Sometimes I can't slow down in 2-4 fow with potential rocks, trees and other objects because if I do, the boat is off plane that's a potential $800-$4000 damage to the prop or lower unit. If I successfully slow down, it would hazardous for me to get back on plane. Of course, there is no exceptions in no wake zones.

Nothing surprises me anymore. From people with no common sense to real geniune jerkbaits. That's the thing about such a good resource as the lakes and rivers we have...everyone wants to use them. You can't fix stupid...

• 3 weeks later...

Many years ago I had some young hot shots buzzing me while I was anchored by a dead fall fishing. They were very entertained by seeing how close they could come to me with the skier they were pulling. Afteer the 7th/8th time they did it I quietly reached in my tackle box for that big, old rusty daredevil that I still hadn't thrown away. Tied it on my big casting rod and they came by again and the driver caught it right in the back. Mildly impressed with my acuracy I went back to ignoring them and fishing while they yelled and ranted how they were going to kick my silly-me. They made a couple more buzzes, not quite as close so to stay out of casting range and eventually went away. I finished the day with a nice bunch of fish and a smile that lasted a long time at one of the best casts of a lifetime. Still wish I would've had a hook set on him ;-)

Jon