• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2012 Fish House Build

Lip_Ripper Guy

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lip_Ripper Guy

• BartmanMN

• SnowGuy73

• RiverChuckNorris

Where did you purchase the aluminum for the roof and approximately how much did it cost?

Looks great by the way; be sure to get some photos of it in action this winter!

Where did you purchase the aluminum for the roof and approximately how much did it cost?

Looks great by the way; be sure to get some photos of it in action this winter!

The roof came from Clint at Ice Assault. It was $480 ($20/foot). The trim around the outside was $6/foot, and I used 60'.

I finally got to the inside last night and started installing furring strips, and lining the wheel wells with aluminum.

A10C5ED3-2690-45A8-A53D-5ACDDED01BCD-311

9AF86F5E-8FE6-42CB-AFFF-C658EDEC07E7-311

F0E0591D-1CDB-4C79-86ED-F606D4826A6D-311

The wide strip of plywood is for additional bunk support.

Finally got the outside done last night. There was a lot of precise bends and cuts needed for the diamond plate, so it took some extra time getting that sorted out. Waiting for a final proof of decals for the outside.

63D404E4-E861-49D3-A198-041CF5DC7788-293

I'll finish up the furring strips and wheel wells tonight, and maybe get started on wiring. I'm hoping to have this spray foamed next week.

Looking for bids if anyone from FM does spray foam.

did you bend the diamond plate around the bottom of the frame or does it just butt up against it? If it is not bent underneath, what did you seel up the gap between the diamond plate and frame rail with?

did you bend the diamond plate around the bottom of the frame or does it just butt up against it? If it is not bent underneath, what did you seel up the gap between the diamond plate and frame rail with?

It runs to the bottom of the frame, but isn't bent around. You certainly could.

There is 3m VHB between the siding and diamond plate, and nothing at the bottom (the tape doesn't stick to powdercoating very well). It would be virtually impossible to totally seal it at the top (siding seams), so I left it open to drain any moisture that would get in. It will have stainless screws at the bottom.

0A0F8649-75E5-4755-B046-6AD43BEBACBE-464

The furring strips are done, and the bathroom wall got framed up this morning. Between the floor and the furring strips, I used 650 self tappers!

The upper left corner is where the TV is going. I'm going to recess it fully into the wall a) as a theft deterrent, and B) to be able to have a bunk fold in front of it and still be able to support it on the bathroom wall.

Up next is a lot of wiring. I have 1200', but I'm not sure it'll be enough. All I know is that I can't wait to be done!

Looks like it will be a great "shack"! I would go with the spray foam in the walls too. From my experience with foamed houses, the VHB tape holds the aluminum tight and you don't see the bowing/quilting effect very much at all. It seems that the place you can have problems is when there are interior cross member boards and the foam expands between the siding and the interior boards. Having owned and fished fully foamed houses, I just can't pass up the strength and warmth they offer ... nothing else like it.

Ripper,

What is your height from floor to ceiling? Just starting mine, and want it to be tall enough, but not too tall. Thanks for the input. Nice shack btw

Nothing too terribly exciting to take pictures of these days. Just TONS and TONS of wiring. Probably about 2-3 hours left on wiring, and then it'll be getting insulated. I'm targeting Sunday-Tuesday to have it sprayed.

CBE7FFBC-C6FB-4450-B393-7BEC262FE26A-306

Is that how you leave them before spray foaming or do you clean them up and centalize bundles of wires running down the sides of studs? Just thinking down the road if you ever had a wiring issue, it would be a lot easier to chip away foam down the side of a stud to reach all wires vs. random areas.

I'm no expect, just an arm chair quarterback. smile

It'll pretty much be left as is. There shouldn't be any wiring issues, as it's held in place by the foam, but there could be a fixture issue. There is enough extra wiring at each fixture to accommodate any future changes. With the spray foam, once it's done, there's no going back. That stuff is rock solid (good and bad)!

Do you by chance have any of your VHB tape left over, and if so, would you be willing to sell any of it?

Do you by chance have any of your VHB tape left over, and if so, would you be willing to sell any of it?

I have some 4936 (30 yards or so), which is 25mil. I used it on the seams. Depending on what/where you'd be using it, I may have a different recommendation.

The last few days have been spent tidying up all the wiring, and taping it down to the back side of the siding wherever possible.

Yesterday I had Midwest Complete Comfort come out and do the spray foam. I've used some other companies in the past, and these guys did a way better job, both in application, and in clean up. They left the fish house cleaner than when they got there, which made me happy.

I've said it before, but the strength the spray foam adds to the entire structure is unreal.

3B4522C4-6DDD-46C1-9DE0-7DD92927F21C-210

1310816D-BD94-4575-A366-FC145CDEABE2-210

F796FACF-2D9D-4560-BE8D-2F10F012A971-210

Everything should come together pretty quickly now. I have a real good start on the cabinets and dinettes. Next is getting all the tongue and groove stained, which I started last night. It'll take at least 50 package (6 pieces per package), so it does take some time.

Where did you get your toung and grove. By being 6 to a package I will assume it is the thinner toung and grove to save weight?

Where did you get your toung and grove. By being 6 to a package I will assume it is the thinner toung and grove to save weight?

Menards. It's buy one get one free through the 20th. 5/16" thick...super lightweight. 3rd house I've used it in.

The house is moving right along. The interior walls are almost finished. Here are some pics from a few days ago:

6A722F03-8DFF-4941-BC55-8C6CEAE91DBC-346

1E2305CA-D933-464B-BE8D-89181BD6140A-346

what did you coat your tongue and groove with? I am buying mine tonight, cant beat the price on that stuff.

No kidding! I use regular Minwax stain, 2/3 natural, 1/3 cherry. It ends up looking very close to cedar.

Outside is finally 100% done now that the decals are on and outdoor speakers are in. I have more stickers for the V-front, but I kind of like the relatively clean look as-is.

D7F6738B-9AC9-4500-A9C2-2AF27B6A9A72-470

Considering you have outside speakers on there, I suggest you add a boom that could extend out and hang a disco ball. Man, that is a real nice rig!!