• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Water is rising so fast that you can literally watch it come up as you fish. Last night after the rain, major league floaters were coming down stream.

Be very careful anchoring anywhere in the main current facing downstream, these beasts sneak up on you quick.

Also if you are out there after dark have appropriate lighting to spot these 60ft widowmakers.

Lots of chances for bad things to happen on the river right now.

Good Luck

jdnm5_hg.png

Yes, it will be a bit scary in the low light hours but it will be so nice as one can go where they want without hitting the prop in the sand and mud.

I wouldnt recommend traveling it for a few days. There are prop eaters about every 100 feet floating down.

I was stupid enough to be out yesterday. I hit a lot of branches but avoided the widow makers and WOW there's a forest coming down stream. Water rose a few inches in the 4 or so hours we were out.

Caught a few carp and a nice channel that broke my rod using crawlers and cut sucker minnow.

i think the remains of the log jam from the carver tressel is coming loose and making its way down.

i think the remains of the log jam from the carver tressel is coming loose and making its way down.

Dont worry, there are plenty of new ones headed that way to replenish the ones that break loose.

Well i was starting to wonder if we were going to see any floating widow makers this year with the low water and all...So it's nice to hear we're getting back to normal. Last two years i've spent nights on the river where you don't feel comfortable taking your eyes off the water in case there's a 60 footer floating your way shocked

Dont worry, there are plenty of new ones headed that way to replenish the ones that break loose.

Things were simmered down quite a bit last night. Still a defined debris line in the main current, but not nearly as many trees coming downstream. However every once in a while a massive forest of trees would come by. We happened to run into one of these forests when we were launching last night. Didn’t even make it 100 yards and the jet intake was plugged with twigs and bark. Back on the trailer for a cleanout and a short wait for the flotilla to move on.

Water temp was 60-61 and clarity was basically somewhere between cappuccino and chocolate milk. Finding “clean” water will be the ticket for eyeball opener this weekend.

How's the current? My friend and I are going out this weekend to chase some channels/whatever will bite, and I'm just wondering what sinker size you'd recommend. Thanks!

I would let the river simmer down a bit if you plan on going out in a boat and aren't used to the river. Still some 50'+ logs floating around. I have been out 4 days since the rain and the current is moving pretty quick and the fishing hasn't been all that great. I have been using 3oz for channels and 5-6oz with live bait but have been trying to fish calmer water.

River is moving pretty good 3-5 oz sinkers should work good.

Today I saw a log jam floatg down the river it strecthed almost half way acroos the river and was getting bigger as it would go by other snags and such.

Water still looks like chocolate milk

We were on river west on new Ulm yesterday lots of stuff floatin down water is like chocolate and creeks are still flowing really hard, really dirty water flowing from creeks, Gotta love all the tiling .

River is moving pretty good 3-5 oz sinkers should work good.

Today I saw a log jam floatg down the river it strecthed almost half way acroos the river and was getting bigger as it would go by other snags and such.

Water still looks like chocolate milk

I went out and took my boat for a test drive last night, I went up stream of the bridge, there was a bunch of trees at every piling, and the paths through it were only about 20 feet wide. Well I went through the one on the east side, but my wake loosened them up and blocked it off completely, so I had to take a different path back. Then my wake loosened up the ones in that one, and they floated through, there must have been 40 trees in this cluster. This was about 815 or so. Were you down stream? I may have sent it down your way .

Catch anything?

How's the current? My friend and I are going out this weekend to chase some channels/whatever will bite, and I'm just wondering what sinker size you'd recommend. Thanks!

If you are shore fishing you will need every bit of a 5oz sinker or greater...threw a cutbait line in last night and couldnt get it to sit still without moving up to a 5oz. couple taps...but no fish.

Thanks for the tips guys. We're mainly just going scouting for spots for night-fishing later on, and to get the boat on the water. We're currently trying to decide between spending the day on the boat or taking a canoe to a local lake and trying for panfish.

Thanks for the tips guys. We're mainly just going scouting for spots for night-fishing later on, and to get the boat on the water. We're currently trying to decide between spending the day on the boat or taking a canoe to a local lake and trying for panfish.

With the swollen river like it is...its gonna be hard to scout anything but high water (most the shore spots have dissapeared. I'd be panfishing if I had the canoe option. But then again I know some guys who prefer the water like this.

Yeah I wouldn't recommend scouting anything with the water high like it is. My boat took a couple of direct hits by big logs a few days ago. You don't want to do that.

Went on river again last night to check out some spots creeks are flowing chocolate milk and fast current , still lots of logs etc, coming down river from the west. 3-4 days things should improve.

We've had a lot of rain in my neck of the prairie lately. Darn near 10 inches in a week. We really needed it. Everything went from dried up to overflowing in a week.

Many of the lakes in my area feed creeks that eventually feed either the Des Moines or Minnesota river. So, in a nutshell, yous guys are getting the brunt of our overflow.

Sorry fellas.

Sounds like adding a chain saw and timber jack to the tackle box is the thing to do.

Looked a lot better last night. Very little floating down, in fact it almost looked just like a 'normal' amount of floaters at this point. Hopefully a good sign of things to come.

Water was EXTREMELY dirty on the minnesota yesterday. Fishing was poor where we were. Didnt get out till around noon though, some of my buddies had better luck in the early morning.

and what's crazy is that the water is 10 times clearer now than it was on Thursday

and what's crazy is that the water is 10 times clearer now than it was on Thursday

Tells me that the run off has slowed to a stop and now the river will be settling down and the bite should commence.

Well I went bait fishing, bait thieves kept taking our bait. Then went cat fishing, and more bait thieves mad