• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

humminbird 798

kerryd15

Question

Hi, need some advice on wiring on a 798. I have a 24 volt trolling motor wired to its own 2 batteries. I have the 798 wired to the starting battery. There are no other depthfinders on the boat. the wiring for the trolling motor go down the center of the boat. the transducer and power wiring for the 798 go down the side of the boat. The issue I am having is when I turn on the troling motor or switch speeds it changes the color or hue of the side imaging screen and I lose definition on the side imaging part. The wires are about as far apart as they can be put. Is there a protecive cover I need to get for the transducer wire? any suggestions

5 answers to this question

Your best bet to to contact Humminbird Customer service and go thru the steps with them. There are several different options, but I would begin by asking if you have a PC10 or PC 11 power cord. The PC11 has a small interference module about the size of a mini oreo cookie about ten inches away from where it plugs into the unit.

Also, what kind of trolling motor is it.

Are you saying that the transducer for the 798 is mounted on the transom, and not on the trolling motor?

the ducer is mounted on the back of the boat. the trolling motor is bow mount. One of the batteries for the trolling motor is in the back of the boat, beside the starting battery.

Did you check your power cord and see if it is a PC 10 Or a PC 11?

1) Make sure the motor is properly grounded. Most trolling motor manufactures have internal grounding wire to help prevent RF Noise submission. If your motor is not properly grounded or the ground circuit is broken it will allow RF Noise into the system. On MinnKota Trolling Motors the late model motors have a fuse on the ground side in the trolling motor head. If this is damaged or broken this is the first step to a cure. Also make sure the foot is grounded to the head. If not a grounding wire can be run externally to the foot and secured to the foot. This can be done by using a hose clamp that mounts the transducer. Water acts as a natural grounding agent for a boat. Grounding from the foot to the negative side of the power supply may provide your solution to kill RF noise.

2) Adjust the Noise Filter on the unit. Most sonars have settings inside the unit to reduce noise or filter it from the readings it receives. In a Humminbird this in the Master Menu under Sonar Tab.

3) On some boats a wire between Battery where negative is hooked and negative side of the Cranking Battery may kill the noise. This provides a common ground for the network.

4) Never use the trolling motor battery to power sonar equipment this is an easy way to add RF Noise into your sonar system.

5) When running external transducer the transducer cable needs to be located away from the head unit and power cables as quickly as possible and Do Not run down the sheath of the steering cables and near the foot control.

6) Consult your Sonar Manufacturer they should have solutions to help keep RF Noise from entering the sonar system. Humminbird has taken a proactive approach and has Interference Kits available for those that have concerns with their product. Not everyone needs the kits but are available for those that experience RF Noise. The standard product packaging have incorporated many components like Nickel Plated Transducers, Power Cords with Ferrite Chokes built inline, Network Ferrite Chokes and more. If these components don’t solve your problem then the kit has additional components that are customized to your boat electrical set-up by equipment and motor type. Working with the Customer Service of your Sonar Manufacturer they should be able to provide solutions.

Humminbird Customer Service Hotline: 800-633-1468

MinnKota Customer Service Hotline: 800-227-6433

I have not had a chance to check the wire for sure, when i installed it last year I seem to remember a little ball on one of the wires. I have it wired direct to the battery- not going through boat fuse pannel. It is fused in line. I have a minkota powerdrive 65 and installed the aftermarket copilot. The power wire for the humminbird and the ducer wire are ran in the side with the steering- which makes sence that i get interference with the big motor. just couldn't figure out the trolling motor part since the wires aren't close. I will check things out thanks.

Power cord is pc11 - it has the cookie in line.

I opened the head- top part of the trolling motor- just a red and black wire in there. the "foot" of the motor- Is that the mount to the boat? This is a side counsel aluminum boat if it matters. I think the trolling motor is at least three to five years old- it was on the boat when I bought it.

Next time on the water i will play with the noise filter.

on number 3, run a wire between negatives of the trolling batteries and the negative of the cranking? Would i have to do both trolling batteries or just one in the 24 volt system?

4- batteries are a seperate system.

How far apart do I need to make the transducer wires and the motor power wires, I came through the same sheath to get into the boat then seperated by 4-6 inches in the side gunnel.