• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports by LOTW Outdoorsman

LOTW_Outdoorsman

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LOTW_Outdoorsman

• Sifty

• cbrooks

• Jared_P

Heading up north right now to the Northwest Angle to shoot next weeks episode! Enjoy the video and as always, Happy Fishing and God Bless.

Welcome back to another edition of the Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman. In this episode I had the opportunity to visit my good friends with the Red Fox Ice Fishing Company out of the Angle Outpost, Minnesota's North West Angle, and head to Canada for a day of Crappie fishing.

We caught more Walleye and Sauger than you can shake a stick at, but only found about 15 small crappies throughout the trip...I guess that's just fishing. The smaller the better on this fine January day was the ticket...Pink and Gold, 1/8 oz and under. They were acting very finicky as they have been on the south end of the lake. Maybe the good Lord is just saving a few for summer fishing...

The scenic views from the trip are amazing in itself. I hope everyone gets the chance to do this one day, it's simply exhilarating.

Happy Fishing and God Bless.

Welcome back to another edition of the Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman. In this weeks episode the fishing was a bite slower, but were still getting a lot of lookers which leads me to believe, we might have biters pretty soon. Lots of small Sauger, but I personally witnessed the Pink Charmer in prime form tonight just as the snow started to fall. 5 Walleye in 2 hours of fishing this evening, but the guys next door only had 2...lots of lookers though.

Were fishing in 35 feet of water heading to the bowl, but heard through the grapevine that 28' of water has been showing some promise this week. Bring the glow colors for the overcast days, but always have a little gold with you, and when the sun peeks out get that gold on. 1-3" is where you want to be, but reel up to those suspended fish you see...big Walleyes roaming.

Happy Fishing and God Bless!

Welcome back to another edition of the Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman. In this episode, the Cropduster and I headed north for a few hours of fishing on Sunday afternoon. Thank you to everyone that has visited us this winter, it's truly because of you that we have this opportunity to try and live a life worth living.

What we found on our journey north was many Saugers and a few large Walleyes hanging out in the deep mud off the rock structures. Many of these active fish were just 1-3 inches off the bottom, and many were regurgitating bugs and had beat up bottom lips. I could only imagine those beat up bottom lips came from digging up the bottom for those bugs. During the evening we move onto the rocks and caught a few smaller Walleyes, but had the best success deep.

I hope everyone enjoys the fishing report and the ministry. We are all servants in one way or another, and I am humble and honored to be yours on Lake of the Woods. Happy Fishing and God Bless.

• 1 month later...

Welcome back to another edition of the Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman. In this episode, I have the pleasure of showing you a few of the last guests of the year and discuss the hot spots for the last few weeks of ice fishing on Lake of the Woods. Thank you to everyone that has watched and promoted these humble fishing reports...it is because of you that I have this opportunity and that never will be forgotten.

It was -10 this morning and we could hit -25 with the windchill tomorrow morning...what this means is we'll be ice fishing out there for the next few weeks for sure. There are still plenty of resorts taking people ice fishing and for now the roads are all open. I will be running portable ice fishing trips for the rest of the hard water season, my sleepers are off the lake.

If you're coming up and only have a vehicle with a wheel house or portable, call Adrian's Resort! The word on the street is that they are absolutely crushing fish at the end of their east road, which runs towards Knight Island out in the mud. If you have a sled and portable, then hit the rock piles up and down the US/Canadian line, Long Point and Rocky Point...stick to the deep water around the rock during the day and then move onto the rock later during the day. When 4 PM hits I'd work your way back into the Gaps and along Pine Island. It hasn't been a sure thing every night, but when it's on, IT'S ON!

If you're looking at the open water/Rainy River Walleye and Sturgeon fishing and want to have the Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman show you the way this spring, please contact Janelle Fish for all reservations at (218) 280-1674.

Thank you all again for making my first year of business on my own, one to remember...Happy Fishing and God Bless!

• 2 months later...

Welcome back to the next episode of the Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman. Before I start, I must say thank you to all those who make this possible...it truly is because of you that we get this opportunity. The Minnesota Walleye fishing season is back upon us on Lake of the Woods and our fishery is in prime form. With the late ice thaw, the Walleyes are just a few weeks behind schedule, which is to our advantage.

The female Walleyes have been stacking up in Four Mile Bay after the spawn, but we see them moving out to the lake with in the next week. There might be another wave coming out again, but right now that's total speculation. The 12-14 foot range most definitely produced the most fish in the bay, but come next week, we might see the fish in the 18-24' range on the lake in the gaps (Morris and Lighthouse).

The Pink/Gold and Chartreuse/Gold 1/2oz rattle jig by JR's Tackle produced the best in the bay and the river on these days because of the current flow and the water clarity. Earlier in the spring while the flow was down the CoopDuster and River Dancer by Tom's Tackle ruled the roost. The bait of choice should be the frozen shiner, but the live Rainbow and Chubb minnows have also been effective.

Thank you for your continued support of Lake of the Woods and the Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman. Happy Fishing and God Bless.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome back to the next episode of the Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman. Before I start, I must say thank you to all those who make this possible. In this episode you'll witness Canadian Walleye fishing, and hear the report from the Minnesota (South side) of Lake of the Woods from our great friend and fellow Lake of the Woods Captain, Shane "Wiggles" Burk.

The past few weeks I've had the opportunity to fish the Canadian side of Lake of the Woods from Burton Island to Deep Water Bay, while I was opening up the Big Thumb Angle Outpost on Oak Island in Minnesota's Northwest Angle. We found Walleye, Smallmouth Bass and Perch anywhere from 8 - 27' off the rocks/gravel...It was awesome! Wiggles has been posted up on the other side of Pine Island during that same time period, and the Walleyes are snapping. Anchored and jigging from 8-24' in the Gaps has been the most effective method. Trolling along Pine Island with number 7 plugs, and drifting with spinners have also caught fish...the method is all up to you.

Congratulations to Phil Hathaway from the Twin Cities for correctly answering last weeks Lake of the Woods Trivia question...Lake of the Islands...enjoy the hat Sir. For this weeks Lake of the Woods Trivia question, please send your responses to [email protected], and good luck!

Thank you for watching and visiting our tremendous fishery...Happy Fishing and God Bless!

• 1 month later...

Welcome back to another edition of the Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman. Before I go any further, Jody and I wanted to thank each person and business that has given us so much...it truly is because of you that we have this opportunity. In this episode, Wiggles delivers another stunning South end Fishing Report and Jody delivers the trivia all so eloquently.

The Walleye, Smally and Muskies are hungry and feeding relentlessly on those fish flies and crawfish right now, but the crawlers are tasting mighty good to the Walleye especially. The jig bite is back out front in 32.5'...the rattle jigs are producing more in my boat...frozen shiner scales are thick in my boat...

Thank you for all your continued support and as always, Happy Fishing and God Bless.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Welcome back to another edition of the Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman. In this episode we head north to the Islands for some extraordinary days of fishing for Walleye, Perch and Crappie. This September the Walleyes, Black Bear and Geese have been on my radar and the guns are back in action.

Wiggles delivers another fantastic fishing report for the south end of Lake of the Woods and Jody teases you brain with another Lake of the Woods Trivia question. The Walleyes have been hanging out on the lake side of Pine island in 22-28' of water...Fall fishing is expected to be fabulous on the Rainy River this season.

Thank you all for watching and we hope you enjoy the journey...Happy Fishing and God Bless.

Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman

JP love your reports especially the videos. Keep up the great work. Can't wait for the hard water season. Keep a tight line and god bless!

• 1 month later...

Welcome back to another edition of the Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman. Thank you to all that make this life possible. With Thanksgiving on the horizon, we have much to give thanks about in our humble lives. We give thanks and praise for all we have and all we're allowed to do on a daily basis...we are so blessed.

Before we go any further, we need to remind you all that ice fishing is only a few days/weeks away (depending on what you plan on fishing in) on the worlds best hard water fishery, Lake of the Woods. If you'd like to make a reservation in one of the 4 Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman's Sleeper Ice Houses, please call Janelle Fish at 218-280-1674.

This Fall edition was a tremendous opportunity to live out...Fishing, Duck Hunting and Deer Hunting. Throughout this journey it has presented new challenges and obstacles, which gave me an opportunity to be taken to school and learn every single day.

In this edition we fish and hunt with great friends and take full advantage of all Lake of the Woods has to offer. Jody delivers another amazing brain teaser with Lake of the Woods Trivia, all so eloquently...I love my wife. Reed Realty allows us access to view one of the most desirable properties in Lake of the Woods County. It might be dreaming for us, but it might be reality for you.

Happy Thanksgiving and God Bless...

Hope this November 30th, 2 hour ice fishing adventure gets your motor racing for this coming ice fishing season on the Walleye Capital of the World, and right now, the World's Best Hard Water Fishery, Lake of the Woods.

As always, Happy Fishing and God Bless...

Fantastic video JP. Couple questions for ya, do those fish hold on the river come January or is that an early bite thing?

Also, I've noticed in all your video's you are using a blue line. What brand, pound, etc... is that? The river video looked to be a braid, and I am always leery of using braid outside the house.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome back to another edition of the Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman. Before we go any further, we must say Merry Christmas to all. We have been so blessed this year and that has to do directly with the viewers of our humble little adventures...thank you a billion times over.

In this edition we catch up with my great friend "Little Jon" with Sportsman's Lodge to get the fishing report from the US/Canadian Line out of the Lighthouse Gap. Fishing was a bit tougher this week than last, but the fishing is still outstanding between 22-28 feet all along Pine Island from gap to gap.

Thank you once again...Merry Christmas and God Bless.

• 5 weeks later...

Welcome back to another edition of the Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman. January on the Walleye Capital of the World has been amazing for this humble northern Minnesotan. Plenty of guests in the sleepers, and a few unforgettable fishing experiences are how I've had the pleasure of spending January. Jody delivers another brain teasing Lake of the Woods Trivia, and Walleye dinner for our family with her father one night in Four Mile Bay...life is good.

Fishing has still been fantastic for most everyone experiencing it with us this season so far. Plenty of activity out deep 34-36' of water, we're still finding most fish on the bottom in that 1-3" range. Pink Glow and Gold have been the best colors the past few weeks. No preference in bait for me, but some guests love the Chubb Minnows and others swear only by the Shiner. The next few weeks we should be seeing more activity off the rocks up and down the US/Canadian line and out of Rocky Pont...sleds and portable are a must if you plan on venturing off the plowed roads.

The Rainy River is never a for sure thing, but it can sometimes give us our biggest Walleyes that last hour of the day. Locals have been perfecting their secret honey holes for years, and being able to take advantage of that local wisdom is truly a blessing. Jody and I look forward to perfecting our secret honey holes for many years to come...Lord willing.

Thank you for watching and we hope you enjoy all our adventures from our beautiful playground...Lake of the Woods.

Happy Fishing and God Bless...

• 1 month later...

Welcome back to this February edition of the Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman. Thank you to everyone that makes this all possible.

Even though I've seen enough snow to last me a few more years, we've still been having a pretty consistent bite in the 34-36' range out on the lake off the ice roads. There's been an afternoon bite in the 23-29' range just on the lake side of Pine Island. I personally haven't found a difference between the frozen Shiners and Chubbs, but everyone has their own preference. Don't leave home without your Glow Pink and Gold...my two favorite lures this past month have to be the Clam Blade Spoon and the Tom's Tackle CoopDuster, hands down.

We only have a couple weeks left, don't wait, if you want to fish Lake of the Woods and don't have accommodations and would like to try out our sleeper ice houses, checkout www.lakeofthewoodsoutdoorsman.com for all the reservation information.

Happy Fishing and God Bless!

• 1 month later...

Welcome back to this March 2014 edition of the Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman. Thank you for all whom have had the opportunity to come stay and fish with us this winter in the LOTW Outdoorsman Sleeper Ice Houses.

The cold weather the past month has kept us very busy in God's Country, we're almost done...this must be a praise for many. With being so busy I was only able to get out on a few adventures, which you're going to see right now.

The next few weeks might be up in the air for Spring Rainy River fishing out of Birchdale, MN...it's still been very cold and as of today there's 30 inches of ice in Birchdale. The Gaps' will start to heat up the next few weeks as we come to end of the Walleye fishing season. You might see me on a sled out in one of the Gaps' if you find yourselves on a Lake of the Woods adventure.

Happy Fishing and God Bless...

• 1 month later...

Welcome back to this April 2014 edition of the Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman. This month has flown by, and seems that time truly flies when you're having fun. We would like to thank all the people that made our winter and spring so enjoyable. It's truly because of you that we get this life...we are so blessed.

In this edition you'll see an early April Ice Fishing adventure up to the Canadian side of Lake of the Woods, while we search for Lake Trout and Whitefish...yummy yummy. The adventures seem to never stop and the we keep making the best of the situations we face...Northern Pike Tip Up Fishing, Snowmobiling, Shed Hunting, Walleye Fishing and Sturgeon Fishing have all been on the docket.

Don't miss out in finding what it's all about on the Walleye Capital of the World baby, Lake of the Woods.

• 1 month later...

Welcome back to the adventures of the Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman and Friends in this May 2014 edition. This month has brought us some of the best of what our tremendous back yard provides us.

The Walleye fishing has been, and still is, some of the best this humble outdoorsman has experienced on a daily basis in my life. Sometime you've got to adapt to the conditions to make the adventure...Lake of the Woods can through it all your way, be ready for the next adventure.