• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
lispeej

St.Croix River Canoe Camping?

lispeej

I see people camping along the croix all the time. Are most sites first come, first served? I would like to try taking the canoe north of Taylors falls and come down to the Stillwater area this summer. I would like to know spend atleast one night overnight camping, and would like to know how to tell if the shoreline/bank is campable or not.

Any info nad tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

SteveD

The St Croix National Scenic Riverway is a National Park managed by the National Park Service. They have a listing of camping regulations that must be followed when camping on the St Croix River. Here is a link to their website that lists all the requirements and regulations:

St Croix Camping Regulations

I cut and pasted some of the requirements from their website.

The following regulations are in effect on the St. Croix River between U.S. Highway 8 at St. Croix Falls, Wisconsin - Taylors Falls, Minnesota (river mile 52.5) and the Soo Line High Bridge (river mile 29.5).

• Campers are required to have a camping permit

• Campers must camp in designated campsites.

• Campers are required to bring in and use their own portable camp toilets or use on-board facilities on self-contained boats.

• A total of 20 primitive and two primitive group campsites have been established. Up to 8 people in 3 tents will be allowed at individual campsites. Group sites will accommodate 9 to 16 people in up to 6 tents. Larger groups will need to split up or make arrangements to camp in one of the state parks.

• There is a limit of stay of 3 consecutive nights. There is a 30-night limit for the season.

• Campsites must be occupied on the first night of stay.

• The camping permit must be attached to the tent so it is clearly visible. The permit must be displayed every time you camp.

• Alcohol is prohibited at the six Eagle's Nest Campsites (river mile 48.5) located downriver from Franconia Landing.

• Quiet hours are from 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.

• Campfires are permitted only in steel fire rings or grills.

• The cutting of live vegetation is strictly prohibited. Dead and down wood may be collected from shoreline areas, however, it cannot be collected from islands.

• Possession of firewood that originates more than 25 miles from the Riverway is prohibited.

• Campfires must be out and cold before you leave the area.

• Please do not bring glass containers to the Riverway. Broken glass cuts bare feet.

• All trash must be carried out of the Riverway at the end of your stay.

Here are a few question and answer type things which may help you plan your trip:

How do I get a camping permit?

You can print the camping permit application, read and sign it, and mail it to:

St. Croix National Scenic Riverway

Attn: St. Croix District

401 North Hamilton Street

St. Croix Falls WI 54024

After reviewing the application, National Park Service staff will mail you the permit.

You can also stop by the St. Croix River Visitor Center, 401 North Hamilton Street, St. Croix Falls, WI to complete the application and receive the permit. The visitor center is open daily, 9:00 to 4:00. Beginning on April 14, the visitor center will be open daily, 9:00 to 5:00.

What is the cost for a camping permit?

The permit is free.

Does every person in my group need a camping permit?

No. One permit is required for each group staying at a campsite.

Where do I display the permit at my campsite?

Attach the permit to your tent so it is clearly visible. The permit must be displayed every time you camp.

If I lose my permit, how do I get a replacement?

Contact the St. Croix River Visitor Center at (715) 483-2274 for a replacement.

Will a portable camp toilet fit in my canoe or kayak? How much does it cost and where can I purchase one?

There are many different styles of portable camp toilets, including ones that will fit in a canoe or kayak. Portable camp toilets are available for purchase at most outdoor recreation equipment stores. Prices begin around $20.

lispeej

That's awesome Steve.

This should definitely help.

Thanks.

DonBo

For better canoeing and easier camping, I'd look at the upriver stretch anywhere from Riverside down to St. Croix Falls.

lispeej

For better canoeing and easier camping, I'd look at the upriver stretch anywhere from Riverside down to St. Croix Falls.

I like that idea.....

Ctrl_Alt_Dlt

We use Wildriver outfitters in Grantsburg every year. It is a 29mile canoe ride that takes us 3 days and 2 nights to do. Most is very shallow and some deeps spots up to 15-20ft, but mostly shallow areas. Very good for smallmouths and northerns. We start off at HW70 and end up by Nevers Dam.

clayton08

Is there any places to camp on the river north of taylor falls me and the wifey are going to take a 3 day journey and thinking st croix. If there is do you need permits?

SteveD

Is there any places to camp on the river north of taylor falls me and the wifey are going to take a 3 day journey and thinking st croix. If there is do you need permits?

As I mentioned above the St Croix National Scenic Riverway is a national park managed by the National Park Service. The National Park Service offers a flexible way to experience the St. Croix and Namekagon rivers by providing over a hundred primitive shoreline campsites along the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway. Camping regulations vary on different stretches of the Riverway. It is important to know where you are on the Riverway and what camping rules apply.The NPS has a very complete website that lists all the different rules and regulations for camping in the national park. This is a link to their camping brochure and should answer your questions:

St Croix Riverway Camping Brochure