• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What is power loading ?

k00lguy

I see the majority power loading, is this something everyone ignores or it's not a big deal? I have a 17 footer and i usually walk it... I tried it once and had people look at me weird . I'm a little confuse? Input please

Controversial subject. The idea is that power loading makes a mess of the landings by blowing holes and divots in the sand/gravel. I just walk mine as well.

+1, I've experienced some pretty rough landings where I believe the damage was caused by power loading.

What the two last posts are describing are basically people who don't know how to power load and cause the blow outs at landings. I've "powerloaded" since 1994 with both roller trailers and bunks and have not once had to cause the problems you find so often at landings. If you do it properly you provide enough power to glide onto the trailer without using any acceleration hitch up and go. Iwas taught the technique by the Griz on my roller trailer and by plenty of pro bass fishermen on bunks but you are right way to many guys out there that don't know whay they're doing and cause the blowouts as well as the pushed up sand at landings.Power loading if done right is quick and easy if you do it right.

TR21HP is spot on. Have used drive on [bunk] trailers since back in my bassing days in the 70-90's. If you position the trailer correctly, you just motor on, hook up and drive off. No need to blow the landing out....just get the trailer a little deeper.

Yep, I just coast on at a pretty good clip. It's the guys throwing the hammer down to move that last foot that cause the problem. And lot's of landings do have problems.

Some landings it's just not a feasible option to powerload. I've been on a few where the angle of approach wouldn't allow it without doing damage. In that case, the boat was winched on.

Sounds like these guys know it! I've always driven my boat onto the trailer since my gramps showed me how when I first started. It's the best/fastest way to load. If the landing allows you should be able to drive on, hook up, and drive away faster than some other guys can tie their boat to the dock wink

Sounds like these guys know it! I've always driven my boat onto the trailer since my gramps showed me how when I first started. It's the best/fastest way to load. If the landing allows you should be able to drive on, hook up, and drive away faster than some other guys can tie their boat to the dock wink

So your the guy always Revving!

This is power loading awareness Month... J/K Thanks keep it coming

Ditto on what most have said.. All you need to do is find the sweet spot where you can pretty much just idle onto the trailer. If the ramp and water level allows, I load up this way. If not, not big deal to crank her on

An example of power loading the wrong way is what I seen last summer at St. Croix Bluffs park. A bass tournament was ending and a few of the boaters thought they were being cool when loading. I watched 4 of them shoot rooster tails while loading on the trailer. I was actually thinking one of them would have landed in the bed of the truck.

I have a bass boat with a bunk trailer and do drive it on but no faster then idle in gear and never have a issue.

A good boat never needs to powerload. Depending on the depth at the launch, I always and almost bury my wheels. This way, there is no need for powerloading.

I never needed to powerload on my roller trailer and never had to with my bunk trailer. Some launches are just horrible, uneven b/c of powerloading.