• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New Line - Looking for input.

Down Deep

I am a real fan of Gamma line, but it seems it is off the market. It looks like Berkley Sensation is comparable. Any input or comments will be appreciated??????

Myself I have loved Gamma for years...its a shame that it's so hard to find now days... I have had luck with the northland tackle line but haven't put it to much of a test yet... I think if you look towards Suffix Elite you will find it pretty similar to Gamma far as strength and abrasion resistance. That's my go-to now.

When Gamma was fading out, I was on a search for a replacement line. In terms of strength and performance, Yozuri Hybrid fared really close to it as well as ASSO Tetramax.

Some line break strength that I tested for my own reference.

Gamma High Performance .200 mm 4# line break 7# 9 oz. Mfg claim break of 8.5#

ASSO Tetramax .180 mm 4# line break 7# 1 oz. Mfg claim break of 7.5#

Yozuri Hybrid .235 mm 4# line break 7# 4 oz. Mfg claim break of 8.5#

Silverthread Excalibur .179 mm 4# line break 5# 12 oz.

Pline Floroclear .18 mm 4# line break 5# 14 oz.

If I am looking for a Mono, I really like Sufix Elite. Good line and good price.

Flouro, I tried X50 from Cabelas and was REALLY happy with it last year and I will rig it again this year.

BPS also has good flouro, their XPS has impressed me.

Braid, Sufix 832, all the way

The best overall line I have ever used is Yo-Zuri Hybrid and Hybrid Ultra Soft.

There are a ton of great information around the net with folks who use this. Great line, and great value.

Gamma will be back on the market. A while back one of the people from the company (Gamma)let us know that it will soon be in the distribution chain. You can buy it directly from the company.

I would stick with Gamma, you can buy it from there web site, thats what I did this winter. Its great stuff, only thing that I use.

I was at L & M picking up a few things and low and behold they have Gamma in stock. All set for opening day!!!

I'v been a Berkley guy forever, but after reading about Gamma so many times on here I have to go get some.

My questions:

Is it mono? flouro? Does it absorb water(float or sink)?

I'm wondering because I use different lines for different situations.

its a copolymer... from what i noticed it acts just like mono only strong... really strong! I've straightened a couple jigs gettin out of snags before.

To me it acts like Trilene without the memory problems.

From the box: Copolymer Fishing Line

Molecularly Altered

That's great news about Gamma. I haven't seen it back in the stores yet, but I'll keep an eye out. Since Gamma's been gone I've went with Suffix Elite and I have to say I like that too. I've never been a Trilene fan, I seem to get more line twist and memory with Trilene. I've also used PLine floroclear and liked that too.

I found the Gamma website, it's priced right too. Once I get it i'm spooling my two main rods with it to try it out.

You will like it herefish. I have been using it for the last few years. awesome stuff and the local lm fleet has it in stock so I am very pleased.

If your looking for mono trolling line save yourself some money and go with trilene Big Game. Great line and way cheaper.

Iam really impressed with this new Pline CXX I bought this year I bought it in the 4# and its super strong and it has great abrasion resistance. I am a Gamma lover too...

I found the Gamma website. What color and strength for my walleye rod and then for my bass spinning gear?

I went with 6lb clear for my walleye rod.

+1

I always use 6# for rigging and jigging.

I have used Gamma, and cannot complain. However, new favorite is the Berkley Trilene trans-optic. Used this stuff when it first came on like spring of 2010? It is a gold color line (great vis) when out of water and in lite, and it is invis when under the water, hence the name trans-optic. This is great line for spinning reels. Just spooled up all of mine for this season.. I should also mention that it can last all season long, fish at least 3 times/ week, and it does not seem to harm the line with the UV rays etc.. 6# test for me..

I tried the Northland Bionic walleye in 5 lb. have nothing but good things to say about that for verticle jigging walleyes.....

I also bought some 5# bionic that I am excited to try out! very affordable line...

One problem with any fishing line is evaluating it by lb test as indicated on the label....Line diameter would be a far more accurate way to compare lines.....Most lines are stronger than the indicated lb test and vary greatly from brand and line type...For example I use Sufix promix 6lb test , .25 mm diameter...My Tectan 5.9lb test is .16 mm diameter , Tectan 13.9 lb test is .25 mm diameter, the same as 6lb test Sufix ,and both have about the same break strenght close to 13lbs......Line diameter carries the day for comparison purposes........I rarily use anything higher than 13.9 lb Tectan for bass , unless I'm into heavy weed or pad applications , and then I use 20-50 lb braid.

Been using Trilene XL for years. Is Gamma better? I notice on their web page it is .001 thicker in both the 6lb and 8lb, is that a big deal?

Been using Trilene XL for years. Is Gamma better? I notice on their web page it is .001 thicker in both the 6lb and 8lb, is that a big deal?

It will cost you twice as much but you will have a lot less problems with line twist. Very little memory with the Gamma. I have no problem with the line diameter and if it bugs you just use a leader. I liked using Stren Magnathin because it was a .001 or two thinner than Trilene but it is really bad with memory as well.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm guessing 6lb Gamma is the equalivilent of 8lb Trilene line? Undecided on which weight to buy. Been using 8lb Trilene XL on my bass spinning gear.