• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Handsonthepole

Shiners

Handsonthepole

Anyone noticing if the shiners or suckers are running yet? I had heard the water is so low the side streams and ditches are unaccessable for them. Been a long couple weeks so I haven't had time to get up to the cabin lately.

kelly-p

Pretty cold yet for suckers or shiners. It is still very dry around here as all of the decent rains/snows have gone just south of us. Waskish has had .85 inches of moisture in the last month. There has been a little better rains around Kelliher so the ditches or Rivers coming in from the south might have a little more flow.

Random guy

Water is low enough the shiners most likely are not going to show up very close to shore and I would bet only a very few small shiners *might* show up in deeper creeks .As for suckers they are going to need to do some airborne stuff to get up most creeks.

shaky legs2

Jonny, What's your out-look for the availability of shiners on the opener around the "North Country and if they will be available, what about the size? You notice I didn't ask about the sex. grin

Random guy

Well this year they should be fine as non infested lakes in this region have come under attack from distant bait dealers. Bait dealers from Park Rapids, Walker, St. Cloud, Royalton, Grand Rapids, Menahga, Sebeka, Turtle River, Bemidji, Baudette, Erskine, Mille Lacs and even one from the metro are all attacking extreme northern lakes in search of shiners. This year should be fine but with that many guys traveling. Trouble is they are traveling from infested areas with who knows what for gear, it is just a matter of time until the invasive spread to northern lakes such as Red. Then once that happens you will see a shiner shortage like no other and most likely other live bait shortages, or an outright ban on the majority of live bait harvest.

As a bait dealer I will be the first to say MN DNR NEEDS TO regulate what lakes dealers are licensed, trained and allowed to harvest from. Boat plugs and live-wells are great but what about Smelly Joe Midnight with his bundle of wet seines and 200 gallon tank creeping from lake to lake. This deal with guys running around half cocked from lake to lake while flying by night is a recipe for disaster. One license, one lake, one set of gear. Time to truly protect our waters and not just give the anglers more hoops to jump through. I think it is a great idea that every time an unfamiliar bait dealer pulls into a lake a warden gets a call or these guys will just continue to exploit until a lake is pillaged and left for dead; then move onto the next lake. Mark my words as Red Lake is next on the list as bait dealers have come from across the state trying to make a quick buck.

Shaky, as for shiners they will be pretty fat come opener and my guess is numbers will be ok just they are going to be big and messy due to the early spring. Oh and mostly females as you and Doc are often concerned with that.