• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New AIS law

harvey lee

Several days ago I thought of having a short check off list when you renew your boat license similar to what has been brought up.

How ever I canned the idea of posting it because anyone can pick up your new tabs for your boat.

If your spouse picks them up for you and she never goes in the boat how are you informed? She checked it off so she can get the ticket whistle

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• harvey lee

• Scott K

• reinhard1

• James_R

Here is another scenario.

If I go swimming in lake A and decide to go swimming in Lake B and my swim suit is still wet do I need to change my swim suit? It is surprise what is in your swim suit.

What is the DNR and their stickers going to do about the threat of my wife's pet pelican's swimming trunks worn on full moon nights in June with winds exceeding 15 mph going from lake to lake? How are they going to stop it? I'll tell ya now, they aren't going to stop it! Might as well let it spread everywhere I say!

Wow! This thread took off since I was here last.

Harvey, your question is valid. What can I suggest in lieu of the stickers, boat washes, and roadside checks? I already answered that question in my last post in this thread as well as other threads. Additionally, the answer was also posted in this thread by others but the answer appears to deceive.

Let's stop peeing in the wind by spending our tax dollars on useless feel good appearances that have already proven ineffective and put those dollars into more workable cost-effective solutions to the problem. Invest in research to find solutions and enforce the laws we already have, which include removing of all aquatic vegetation and invasive species from our boats and trailers.

It sucks but I can live with the drain plug removal. Personally, I didn't believe so many didn't already remove their plugs just to allow their boats to dry rather than grow who knows what under the floor or prevent floor rot.

It sucks but I can live with draining my live well and replacing the minnow water with fresh water. Personally, I'd rather make it a law that it must be drained prior to entering another lake because I'd rather be able to keep my catch and minnows in the livewell until I get home.

I can live with the sticker, the roadside checks, and the boat washes but in my opinion these are a huge waste of resources and manpower and the money could be better spent on the research necessary to find a more effective and lasting solution.

Seems birds do not carry this from lake to lake from what the DNR can tell, or at least no great threat. I thought that wildlife could and was a bigger factor but I guess I was wrong there.

Thanks for posting the DNR replies Harvey.

Glad to hear your boats dry too. Mine however, is not. So it is good to hear the DNR is interested in managing AIS because it will spread. Thats for sure.

What is the DNR and their stickers going to do about the threat of my wife's pet pelican's swimming trunks worn on full moon nights in June with winds exceeding 15 mph going from lake to lake? How are they going to stop it? I'll tell ya now, they aren't going to stop it! Might as well let it spread everywhere I say!

I suppose the new regulation will be my dog cannot come fishing with me as he may drink some water and then pee in another lake or stream. We can go on and on with things that will really have no impact at all.

It does not matter what the DNR does in regards too the AIS issue. if they do something to try and slow it, then they did it wrong or it's not done the correct way. If they do nothing, then it is why didn't they do something.

let,s face it, fisherman know more than anyone at the DNR including the biologists and all the other who have the degrees to help our resources.

Maybe the DNR goal's are to destroy our fishing for us as that sure seems to be the concensus in this thread.

Kind of sorry I ever posted anything as I should have known better to think others might agree that it is worth trying to do what we can to help our lakes and rivers. I guess no many really care as it will not make any difference so many believe.

Is there a fool proof way to try to save our lakes from all of this garbage, probably not as if this was left to the majority of the fisherman in this state from what I have read so far, they could care less. Everything the DNR has tried to do is wrong. Not just the decal as that is no more than an excuse. It's the livewell, boat plug, bait containers and the weeds.

I myself thought that the wildlife and birds along with many others thought that they could transfer alot of this to other water systems but after asking the DNR, boy was I WRONG.

I have always tried to keep myself very well informed so I had some idea of what was actually fact with all issues. Otherwise, I have no clue what may be the truth or fact.

If I were to ask the staff at the DNR if contacting them in regards to the AIS issues were a waste of thier time I highly doubt they would say yes. The DNR does wnat all to become aware of these issues and facts and how we as boaters can help to do what we can to save our resources from getting worse. I would like to do all I can to leave our resources better for my kids and grandkids and not leave them a bigger mess than when I was here. Who knows if that will work but I will do my best to try.

C"mon asain carp and come into this state as the fisherman will harp if the DNR tries to stop anything as it will inconvience alot and it will for sure cost way to much. Who cares as nothing will work.

It seems that from the posts posted, many believe this is nothing more than a waste of money and it is not worth trying as it cannot work.

How does anyone know for sure that what the DNR has proposed and passed will for sure not work? The DNR knows full well thier backs are against the wall but they are trying to do what they can to save how many other lakes that are left that do not have the AIS issue. Doing nothing will for sure result in a negative ending.

Sorry for the long post but I am very passionate about keeping our waters as clean as possible even with the costs.

Wow! This thread took off since I was here last.

Harvey, your question is valid. What can I suggest in lieu of the stickers, boat washes, and roadside checks? I already answered that question in my last post in this thread as well as other threads. Additionally, the answer was also posted in this thread by others but the answer appears to deceive.

Let's stop peeing in the wind by spending our tax dollars on useless feel good appearances that have already proven ineffective and put those dollars into more workable cost-effective solutions to the problem.research to find solutions and enforce the laws we already have, which include removing of all aquatic vegetation and invasive species from our boats and trailers. Invest in

It sucks but I can live with the drain plug removal. Personally, I didn't believe so many didn't already remove their plugs just to allow their boats to dry rather than grow who knows what under the floor or prevent floor rot.

It sucks but I can live with draining my live well and replacing the minnow water with fresh water. Personally, I'd rather make it a law that it must be drained prior to entering another lake because I'd rather be able to keep my catch and minnows in the livewell until I get home.

I can live with the sticker, the roadside checks, and the boat washes but in my opinion these are a huge waste of resources and manpower and the money could be better spent on the research necessary to find a more effective and lasting solution.

From what I have gathered from the DNR, they are looking into any option that could help with this issue.

"Maybe if u quit whizzing away all their time with emails you could find out on Thurs when MN O.D. news comes they'd be able to get something done. ;-)"

I should not contact the DNR as one poster stated above, I am wasting thier time asking questions. So much for keeping ones self informed as much as possible. Yes, I casn get info from other sources but I would much rather get it straight from the horses mouth as people tend to twist everything up.

As far as the DNR spending money informing boaters to remove aquatic vegatation from thier watercraft, I would have hoped watercraft owners would have been responsible enough to have already done this the past years as it has been advertised for boaters to please help to do this to control the spread. Just like boat plugs, many still do not bother. So if the DNR wants people to do what they ask to help, they have to make it law or a percentage will not. I guess that's why we have to have laws and fines to force people to comply with all laws.

Harvey, your doing a good job here and doing the right thing. i also contacted the person in charge of this issue as well as two top CO's in charge of enforceing this project awhile back when this subject was dissussed in the many other threads of this nature. i was also railing against the stickers and more at first. however after talking to people like you have, i grew to appriciate what the DNR is trying to do. good luck.

I am not trying to say one bit that what the DNR has made law is a fool proof way to stop everything and the DNR agree's with that.

This is a program to TRY and slow the spread until someone can find a way to get the job done as well as possible.

Yes, for some it may be a bit of a pain and yes it will cost just like any other program.

For me, I feel it is well worth the cost to try and do what we can.

I also realize now that many in no way want any funds spent for this program for numerous reasons that I do not understand or maybe never will.

On a different note, I remeber when slot limits came and the reduction in limits taken. People were so opposed to this about the same as the AIS and some still hate the slot limits.

I will say that in the past 4 years I have enjoyed the best fishing I have ever in my life for quality and quantity for all species.

The we have the native issues with the new regs and that's a totally different subject but it sure seems one can still have a great day on ML or Upper red for quality and numbers of fish.

Over the years the DNR has had some tough issues to deal with that the public was very against.

But, we do have some fantastic fishing in our state and world class fishing for about every specie.

So, even though the DNR has made changes to the laws and we have been against many of them, they are doing a great job in my eyes.

I will always say Thank you to the DNR for the job they are doing trying to keep many satisfied and we all have a different opinion on what they should do for each controversy.

I think the DNR could have reached out to fisherman a little better through better and more thorough public relations. That being said, they do need to slow down AIS as mentioned above.

I think fishing forum readers are the least of their worries - as we are up to speed and are educated on the subject. I think newer and uneducated recreational boaters and fishermen (whether on shore or in boats) are greater threats and need to be educated. How do they efficiently and effectively reach these groups?

I totally agree with what you posted.

I believe the goal for the DNR and one option to get to everyone is that when they recieve thier sticker, on that sticker is a list of items one can do and is law to help slow the spread. It's also in the fishing guide booklet.

Another huge help may be for all of us here to go and inform others who are not aware of these changes to try and do what they can to help control the spread.

I know I have talked to some neighbors who were not aware of this AIS issue and I also believe that is why the DNR has given the watercraft owners until Aug of 2014 to become aware and then abide by the law so they do not recieve a fine for non compliance.

The decal will not stop the spread but it will make all aware of this issue if they bother to try and help. We realize this right along with the DNR.

Then with more article in papers like the daily papers, the news and the press, all should become aware of this in a very short time.

IN the local newspapers I receive, they have all had articles on AIS and the new laws in place now and how to help reduce the spread of this AIS.

.....and there are some that simply put do not much like for any type of govt intrusion in their lives, just like when hennepin co. shut down all lake accesses for ice fishing this past winter.

the clear reality is most if not all lakes are public lakes (land) which means run/overseen by goverment and i am living proof that govt entities do not have any means of streamlined processes to get things done and there is always some amount of wasted time and dollars involved in anything the govt does.

would someone rather they "waste" a small amount of money with info & media tactics to inform us all or "waste" 10x more money with unproven chemicals or other means of stopping proliferation.

there are very vaid points regarding mis informed lakeowners associations, out of state boaters, waterfowl, etc. but the best bet for those issues instead of complaining on here is asking the DNR if they have any intentions of addressing those portions of transfer as well as what they are already currently doing.

Harvey and I have a question for you---why don't they have boat lift and dock checks?----this is what is what is spreading it very rapidly in Ottertail county----

I realize they are training the dock and boat lift movers but still that misses a huge portion of docks and lifts moving every month from lake to lake. This is clearly a big problem but there seems to no support for checking them.

Also you are mis-reading a lot of posters here. They are not against this. They are against spending this money in ineffective ways. This is money that can not be used now, to actually find a way of controlling it. Some people just would rather see the money used on control.

I see the sticker as the DNR's marketing plan. Everyone who has a boat needs to renew thier tabs sometime, when they do they get the sticker and are notified. That part of the problem solved. The sticker is the best marketing plan availble if you thing about it. Those of you who know anything about marketing would have to agree. First- Whats your target auidence? Answer- people who have boats or fish from shore. Second-how do we market this to our auidence at a cost effective method. Answer- Sticker and regulation books handed out. Pretty cheap if you think about it. Will it solve the problem- not a chance, but if you want to stop a problem you first need to know that there is a problem and what you the average joe can do to do your part in helping solve problem. Stickers will notify everybody who uses the boat of what to do. Some people let other parties use thier boat who may not go boating a lot. This is the first step of many

Harvey,

you asked a good question....you also got some good answers.

It looks to me that the consensus of those who do not care for the stickers would like to have seen that energy and money spent towards research and/or more law enforcement, enforcing the laws already in place. I see these as valid alternatives,(to slow the spread) not solutions, because nobody has a solution yet.

You are passionate about this, great, but the "if you don't like the sticker you don't care" stuff is negative. Not everybody disagreeing with the sticker is bashing the DNR, just disagreeing. Stay positive, you actually got some good alternative suggestions, accept them or don't, but you might appreciate them, you asked for them.

I realize what you are saying and what I posted probably should not have been.

I AM happy that people are concerned about the AIS issue. I understand that others do believe that this may not work and I agree 100%. For me, I would say I am willing to go along with whatever the DNR tries to do to help control this as it is our only hope.

I guess we have to start somewhere and then change as we go as we learn news ways to try and fix this. Everything the DNR or for that matter anyone who tries some cures, all the plans will not wrok but as I stated we can change on the fly.

I do know that at this time, the DNR can only do what they can and continue to research things in hopes of finding better ways in the future.

What else can they do? Try and continue to research new ways and then hope something works. Doing nothing we all know will accomplish nothing.

I am one of those people that think the govt shouldnt interfere with our personal lives. I think their role isnt to interfere with what we do to ourselves. I also think cops duty has went from "protect and serve" to worrying whether someone is going 45mph in a 40mph zone, As for the DNR's job, I think their duties went from protecting our resources, to making sure we abide by every single law to the "T" while out boating and fishing. Such as checking to make sure my horn works on my boat, the date on my fire extinguisher, but they did not even ask to see my fishing license, or ask to see in my livewell. You tell me, were they worried about the resources? Or were they looking to write tickets?

I wonder what the DNR is actually thinking? Do they thnk they are actually going to prevent anything from spreading? Or are they just trying to do something to quiet the masses until something that will actually work comes along. Or until it spreads to all lakes, and we learn, fishing is still good, why bother? I think they should be more worried about Asian carp, then about zeebs, and weeds. Since it is still early enough hopefully to actually prevent them from spreading throughout the state.

Tom, you brought up how you have had the best fishing ever the last 4 years, you mentioned a couple lakes as well, that you fish, and I know of a few others that you fish locally. You do know, those lakes already are infested with AIS right? And they are the best fishing you have ever had. Coincidence? Maybe fish like the extra cover from the milfoil, and weed beds? Maybe they enjoy all of the extra food from the zeebs?

Maybe this AIS thing isnt worth the fight, and is actually better for the fish, but maybe not so much for the fishermen/lake shore owners.

Something to ponder..

i know Roland Martin once said that he credits mil foil to the great bass fishing on Minetonka. now that may be true, but as i said before mil foil is not a good thing for every lake, especialy shallow ones. mil foil has choked out backwaters on Big Marine where years ago this particular backwater had the right amount of cover with plenty of lilly pads and weed cover. i haven't been back there for a couple years soly because i cant get my boat back there anymore.

Big Green in the Chisago area has the south shallow bays covered with mill foil. while there are still pockets and areas to fish, the great majority of the areas i used to fish are covered with the stuff. is that a bad thing for the fishery? probably not. some may even like it, who knows.

what about the cormorants? we had threads about those also. control measures have been taken on those. i think it would have been a mistake not to control them on Leech Lake and on the Knife River on the north shore where they fed on young trout. so all of this is about controling and not eliminating at this point. i could bring in the wolf issue on this as well, since we are opening up a season on them this fall for control purposes. good luck.

I think 99% of the people reading this and participating here are passionate about fishing/hunting/the outdoors and would never want to see a resource depleted. As with most every issue we deal with from day to day you have those on the fringe edges supporting or against, and the majority in the middle.

The best we can hope for is for people to use their experience and to become educated and make their own decisions based on solid facts.

4WE makes a good point about boatside checks. Sometimes before even asking for a fishing license or looking in the livewell, they want to see a working horn, an unexpired fire extinguisher, valid PFD’s, functioning navigation lights, registration, throwable cushions, now a silly AIS sticker. Then when we are done with that, we can start checking licenses, stamps, bait receipts, source of bait water, what kind of bait, is the bait size legal, bag limits, slot limits.

Man, I just want to buzz out, throw an anchor, hopefully catch a few fish and take a few pictures and release them.

regarding what the DNR checks first during an inspection, if all of those items are legally required then they are well within their rights and just maybe if you look at it from their point of view, if they are checking all safety required gear, maybe they are more concerned bout your safety and just a good time on the water instead of your catch success rate. if i was stopped and they asked bout my safety gear & made sure we were covered with gear that would make me happier than wondering if fish were biting and not prepared for an accident.

....regarding boat checks, maybe DNR's job would be simpler and more direct if all watercraft owners/users were required to take a state mandated test for watercraft like we do for driverse license, since that is not the case, those of us in the "know" may think it troublesome but until you go around with a DNR officer, who really knows how many uneducated "weekend waterer's" are actually out there and the DNR does not know who is who, dont have a laptop to look up boat license and know if you are "water smart" or not.

In my case, it wasnt that they asked to check the horn, fire extinguisher, and the date on it first, it was, that is ALL they checked!

Back to AIS, I am all for preventing it, I dont want to see AIS in any lakes. I just think they are trying to fight a losing battle, and are trying to take down godzilla with a BB gun. I think they need to go back to the drawing board and try to get a better plan together, one that will work. Then go full steam ahead. Not just throw together something quick, then go all out on it, because it is something. Maybe worry about the Asian carp now before it they spread to much. But I am sure we will address that in a couple years, and get a new sticker for them. I think they need to figure out what is going to be more damaging to the eco system, zeebs, weeds, or the Asian carp, then fight it with full fource. We only have so much resources and money to throw at AIS, so they should choose what to fight for, and how.

ME ME ME ME ME ME. The problem with this world is most people only think about themselves and how it impacts them. Time to think about the big picture and what helps EVERYONE not just what kind of a pain in the butt this will be for YOU.

It is our duty as a citizen to question those that we give the power to regulate over us.

So, no, I don't think it is all about ones self or the inconvenience. The Question is are these measures taken a justifiable action or are they a knee jerk reaction to save face.

Quote:
It does not matter what the DNR does in regards too the AIS issue. if they do something to try and slow it, then they did it wrong or it's not done the correct way. If they do nothing, then it is why didn't they do something.

let,s face it, fisherman know more than anyone at the DNR including the biologists and all the other who have the degrees to help our resources.

Point taken.

Quote:
I should not contact the DNR as one poster stated above, I am wasting thier time asking questions. So much for keeping ones self informed as much as possible. Yes, I casn get info from other sources but I would much rather get it straight from the horses mouth as people tend to twist everything up.

Harvey, keep asking. You did the right thing.

Quote:
It looks to me that the consensus of those who do not care for the stickers would like to have seen that energy and money spent towards research and/or more law enforcement, enforcing the laws already in place. I see these as valid alternatives,(to slow the spread) not solutions, because nobody has a solution yet.

I think you make a good point.

In my case, it wasnt that they asked to check the horn, fire extinguisher, and the date on it first, it was, that is ALL they checked!

Back to AIS, I am all for preventing it, I dont want to see AIS in any lakes. I just think they are trying to fight a losing battle, and are trying to take down godzilla with a BB gun. I think they need to go back to the drawing board and try to get a better plan together, one that will work. Then go full steam ahead. Not just throw together something quick, then go all out on it, because it is something. Maybe worry about the Asian carp now before it they spread to much. But I am sure we will address that in a couple years, and get a new sticker for them. I think they need to figure out what is going to be more damaging to the eco system, zeebs, weeds, or the Asian carp, then fight it with full fource. We only have so much resources and money to throw at AIS, so they should choose what to fight for, and how.

The DNR will admit they have their backs against the wall Scott.

I have not heard from the DNR that they or for that matter anyone else has found a way to stop all of the AIS at this time. I guess my thoughts are why not try to slow it down and If we all try to do our best, I am 100% positive it will help slow it. I do not see how it cannot help.

I do not believe that the DNR has not done thier research on this and they know something done now is better and sitting and saying oh well, lets just hope for the best. That has never worked with anything and I highly doubt ever will.

As far as which is the boigger evil, I do not believe any of us can answer that. I have seen enough info from the DNR to understand that they are very concerned about the carp. Thier research has shown that there is one chemical that can kill these carp and the DNR has addressed that in one of my posts above in regards to the issue of carp. I am also 100% positive that the DNR is doing all the research they can afford at this time to address this. Cures are not that easy or we would all have the answer.

I have no idea why yo say just throw a sticker at the carp. That will cure nothing and we along with the DNR know that.

From what I have been told and explained to by the DNR, these stickers have a couple purposes. They admit they will stop or slow AIS in and by themselves. But the sticker will help spread the word as others have mentioned above as a great tool make watercraft owners become aware of this and try to help with this issue until a cure for permanent results can be found. Marketing costs money and the decal helps get the word out. I guess they could have not done the decals and ran 2-3 million on TV stations throughout thye state and done nothing more than achieved the same results as they will have with the decals for hopefully less. I am also 100% positive that the DNR checked out numerous options to see how they would get the word out and for the best bang for our dollars.

I have no idea what else you would want the DNR to try and do as I believe they are as much or more concerned about this as all of us using these waters. They are not here to try and do nothing.

Since you believe they are fighting a losing batle and they may agree, what would you do, nothing?