• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New AIS law

harvey lee

If they need it to be on a sticker, just print it on the license tabs, then every boat will have it. If their goal is to get everyone aware of it, how about this, when you go in to get your new tabs for your boat, have them read a quick 1 page simple rule chart, then have them take a quick 5 question quiz before they can get their tabs.

Question 1: Do you need to pull your plug before leaving the boat landing? Yes or NO

Question 2: Can you use lake water to transfer your bait from lake to lake? Yes or NO

Question 3: Do you need to have a stupid sticker on your boat by 2014? Yes or NO

ETC...

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• harvey lee

• Scott K

• reinhard1

• James_R

As far as the stickers go, people need to stop the sarcastic remarks, they are not helpful and get in the way of a good conversation to try and actually come up with a valid idea to propose to DNR / Law-makers. The DNR is very well aware that they need to deal with human nature, in a perfect world everyone would sit down and read the regs from cover to cover, but they don't. it’s the same reason the government has to pay for TV ads showing that texting and driving is illegal. The stickers are there for awareness and education. I say at least they are trying, and if you want to talk about wasteful spending in the government the stickers are probably not the biggest issue we need to address.

I would think that the DNR would expect criticism about their best effort is putting a sticker on everyones boats, dont you think?

You say they are trying, well putting a sticker on a boat isnt going to do anything, and that is why it is criticized so much. Their other best effort is to pull people over just because they are towing a boat, really? Come on! That will be a huge waste of money for the court system as it will be drug out in court until the law is changed. If anyone gets a ticket after being randomly stopped by the DNR because you are towing a boat, I sure hope you fight it!

If they want to prevent it, they will need someone at every landing, of every lake that is infested with AIS, and having someone instecting every boat. But as pointed out, even doing your best inspecting and draining everything, it wont do much good, being the keel, and other parts of your boat will still hold several gallons of water.

My suggustion, when you buy your license tabs for that boat, you can choose to fish AIS infested waters, or non infested waters, and you cant swop from one to the other. You want to fish both lakes, you need 2 different boats, one licensed for each. That is about the only way to slow it down. But then you need to worry about birds, animals, wind, docks, etc..

the DNR knows that you cant get every drop of water out of your boat. just following the basic steps including lowering your motor to get rid of the water in the prop area. if you pull your plug after your done fishing i'm assuming you also put the plug in your boat prior to putting your boat in the water again. that plug prevents water from going in the lake as well [any small amount left from prior use of the boat]. none of these current regs will change anything for me as far as enjoying my day now and regs have never changed my enjoyment from being out in the past. Harvey is just looking for ideas on this. who knows maby someone can have a constructive idea and pass it on the the DNR. good luck.

the sticker does one good thing it tell you what is expected of you so you can't act stupid when the dnr checks you out .the stupid act won't work.I feel this is the real reason for the sticker.I still seen alot of boats leaving the lake which is infested with milfoil with weeds hanging off there trailer on expensive bass boats no plugs pulled.

Ignorance is no excuse of the law anywhere else, why would it be here even without the stickers?

the sticker does one good thing it tell you what is expected of you so you can't act stupid when the dnr checks you out .the stupid act won't work.I feel this is the real reason for the sticker.I still seen alot of boats leaving the lake which is infested with milfoil with weeds hanging off there trailer on expensive bass boats no plugs pulled.

ME ME ME ME ME ME. The problem with this world is most people only think about themselves and how it impacts them. Time to think about the big picture and what helps EVERYONE not just what kind of a pain in the butt this will be for YOU.

Its all about me. It's gonna take ME a lot longer. Blah blah blah.

As Harveylee said come up with a better solution rather than to complain about how much it affects YOU.

Never seen or heard so many supposedly grown men whine and cry about something. Really makes me sick. GROW UP AND FACE THE FACTS.

Seriously this thread is turning into a bunch of whiny women.

I have no solution at this time but you will not see me whining like a little girl about it either.

OK go a head and bash me now and continue your little whining rants and keep proving me right.

ME ME ME ME ME ME. The problem with this world is most people only think about themselves and how it impacts them. Time to think about the big picture and what helps EVERYONE not just what kind of a pain in the butt this will be for YOU.

As Harveylee said come up with a better solution rather than to complain about how much it affects YOU.

Never seen or heard so many supposedly grown men whine and cry about something. Really makes me sick. GROW UP AND FACE THE FACTS.

I have no solution at this time but you will not see me whining like a little girl about it either.

OK go a head and bash me now and continue your little whining rants and keep proving me right.

AMEN!!! I agree 100%, when you go to the DNR webpage... it tells you the deal.

Q. Where does the decal need to be attached on the watercraft?

A. The decal must be attached to the watercraft, but state law does not specify where it needs to be attached. It does not need to be in view of the operator as with the personal watercraft decal. It does not need to be placed near the watercraft registration decals and is not recommended to be in that area of the boat. It is recommended to display it where it can be read and can be shown to an officer upon request.

If the owner does not want to stick the decal on the boat because it is an antique wooden boat or other unique boat, they may attach the decal to an object or laminate it and attach it like a luggage tag.

That means you can attach it on a zip tie, remove it if needed, no sticky mess, what is the big deal! Seriously?

ALL-IN

Quote:
That means you can attach it on a zip tie, remove it if needed, no sticky mess, what is the big deal! Seriously?

The big deal is it is dumb, and wont solve anything.

Did you need to put a new sticker on your car when the law changed that you needed to wear your seat belt?

How about a sticker that you put on your gun that says you cant use a spot light to shine deer at night?

If you own a pistol, how about a sticker that says you cant use it for robberies?

How about a sticker that comes with all baseball bats that says you cant use it to bust windshields in cars?

I didnt get any of those stickers, so I should be able to do those things right? Or are they not against the law because there isnt a sticker for it?

Can you understand the reason people are against the stickers? It isnt that it is a inconvenience, it is more of, why?

Should there be a sticker on every pair of pants that says dont pee into the wind? If we didnt have a sticker, how would we know we shouldnt do that?

If we all had stickers for every law, then everyone would know, and no laws would ever be broken. Speed limits wouldnt be broken, there wouldnt be any murders, because everyone would have a sticker! Why havent the govt thought of this before, BRILLIANT! crazy

Ok here is a suggestion that has been suggested a dozen times or so....why not work on controlling it instead of wasting money on something that is impossible to stop....it is just basic common sense.....

Don't worry though---- that's what they will be working on in four years from now or so, after they completely wasted money during that whole time period.

Get ahead of the problem...not behind it like we clearly are. Proactive not reactive.

This will never happen because, it will look to the lake associations like they aren't doing anything.... as long as they can see these silly stickers and glorified power washers that WILL STOP NOTHING---they will be happy.

I think people are probably frustrated (whiny) that they are completely wasting money doing it this way, is my guess.

why would controlling AIS be impossible or even in some cases even erradicate an invasive. perhapst if you dont try. research, study, and application did it for the sea lamprey and they are not completly gone but very well controlled, thuse bringing back a great fishery to the great lakes. again, anyone against that effort? the sticker argument is a red herring and plays a minor roll in the budget. it's part of educating the public since tons of signs, and pages of information in the regs seems not to be working with some. i think it's good to let off a little steam, and people are frustrated, because most follow the regs and have been all their lives. it's time to start to fine the few who just dont pay attention or follow the regs. why wait till 2014? we have had stickers, information, and signs at boat landings for years. good luck.

I got no problem with the bait laws or the draining of boat laws.

What makes me laugh is all the leaky boats that also retain water in the hulls while trasporting. Boats like mine.

I'll be transfering invasive species all year long...legally...so ya, this is dumb.

B I N G O!!!!

The big deal is it is dumb, and wont solve anything.

Did you need to put a new sticker on your car when the law changed that you needed to wear your seat belt?

How about a sticker that you put on your gun that says you cant use a spot light to shine deer at night?

If you own a pistol, how about a sticker that says you cant use it for robberies?

How about a sticker that comes with all baseball bats that says you cant use it to bust windshields in cars?

I didnt get any of those stickers, so I should be able to do those things right? Or are they not against the law because there isnt a sticker for it?

Can you understand the reason people are against the stickers? It isnt that it is a inconvenience, it is more of, why?

Should there be a sticker on every pair of pants that says dont pee into the wind? If we didnt have a sticker, how would we know we shouldnt do that?

I think ur best choice is not to fish, almost anything govt does in your eyes is wrong. its a harmless way to inform ppl. if you dont like it, come up with a better way and have someone important try to advance it. constant complaints and negatives will get you nowhere. try positive thoughts and solutions for a change.

Exactly----tackle the problem just like they did the sea lamprey----that's not the method we are currently spending the money on. They are trying to stop the spread---which they can't.

So start working on actual solutions like they did with the sea lamprey problem. Powerwashers, stickers, and fines are not solutions to controlling the mussels. These are to prevent the spread---

People don't want nothing done but me personally, I would trade each powerwasher the DNR has for a scientist sitting in a lab and studying the biology of the mussels. That's my answer for some alternatives to what they are current doing.

Yeah lets face the facts.....wait....what were the facts again?

Oh yeah zebes are the devils spawn and will destroy every lake they come in contact with smirk

so can the dnr go ahead and make any law they want and we can't question it without being called whiners? Gimme a break.

Yeah lets face the facts.....wait....what were the facts again?

Oh yeah zebes are the devils spawn and will destroy every lake they come in contact with smirk

so can the dnr go ahead and make any law they want and we can't question it without being called whiners? Gimme a break.

That is right. I question how unwisely these new laws are being made and the methods they are using (waste) the money and somehow, I am against the govt and DNR and want to do nothing.

So how about trading those power washers for some really bright aquatic biologists to work on the problem?

Seems like a better idea doesn't it?

Instead of wasting money on a FREE sticker, Maybe they should charge everyone with a boat $10 for the sticker and put 100% of that money into finding a solution to the problem.

Who cares if I have another sticker on my boat.

If everyone would read the reg books they wouldn't need the sticker as stated earlier. It is education. How much happier would you be about this sticker if you were charged for it also. It is a heck of a lot cheaper than paying several people to sit at landings even just on weekends just to educate those that choose not to read the regs.

Start asking people about this sticker and no one even knows what it is. I know people personally that never read the reg books and just assume they know everything. I read it cover to cover every year. Those of us on this site know all about these issues because they are beaten to death on these forums yet very few have any real insight as to how to solve the problem. And we on here are a very small percentage of the thousands that use our great resources in any given year.

The sticker is a done deal so deal with it and move on to finding a solution rather than complain about something so minor.

Some of you keep bringing up having stickers for everything. However the majority of the things those of you have listed are things that you are "tested for" i.e Gun safety classes, driving exams, etc.

By the way those that want to pee in the wind go ahead. Common sense isn't all that common any more obviously.

I think we are all here for the best interest of our great outdoors but this bury your head in the sand attitude has me second guessing that.

Since when does the DNR actually make the laws. Last I knew it was our great politicians that do that.

People constantly bashing the DNR when that is not the right people to bash.

But your right let's not do anything at all for your convenience and see where it takes us.

Sorry kids, our generation was too lazy and self centered to do anything about the problem before it was too late so go ahead and enjoy what's left for you. Good luck diggin your way out.

Is this what I should tell my kids about THEIR resource. Because ultimately it is theirs to inherit.

Stickers are neat, but balloons would be more fun! laugh

Now I would put a balloon on my boat! Or how about one of those giant inflatable gorillas at each landing. They work for car dealers, why not AIS??

So we arent suppose to question supid laws? We are just suppose to accept it, because it is law, and it is done with? Really?

What if they made it a law that says each time you step on the crack on the side walk, you need to pat your head. Would you be avoiding stepping on the crack, and patting your head all day long? Or would you question the need for the stupid law to begin with? Kinda like we are doing.

Free sticker?? Do you really think they are free? I am betting they have more then $1 each into those stickers. More then likely double that.

240 yrs ago the symbol of King George's tyranny got dumped into Boston Harbor

anyone wanna dress up as mussels and lampreys then go dump a few cases of stickers in Duluth harbor ?

Exactly, So maybe they should charge us for that sticker and put the money towards research.

Because the only excuse I am hearing is that they are wasting money on a useless sticker.

How else should they come up with the money. Higher taxes all around. Even higher license fees

Or what else would you like to receive in place of a sticker for your money.

no one said (i dont think) that you cannot question law, that is democracy and freedom of independent thinking. But questioning is completely different from complaining. questioning asks why and maybe offers up a different/better idea. complaining (which some are doing) just talks bout same ole thing over & over again like beating a dead horse

Scare tactics is right.

I was talking to a elderly couple that live on a large popular lake here in OTC and they were convinced that they had to stop tournaments from taking place and keeping outside boats in general off the lake before they infected the lake and then have property values plummet!

Oh my goodness!

I informed them that the mussels were already in the river system that is connected to the lake and, it was a boat lift not a boat that did that---well the conversation just sort of ended there.

well what else is a dead horse any good for ?

it's not even legal, in this country, to make dog food out 'em anymore

Talk about me me me me

Here are some facts. People don’t want zebes because they wreck their swimming area or they clog up the intake on their fancy lake lawn watering system or they attach themselves to the big yachts. An inconvenience if you will. wink

Here are some more facts. There are plenty of lakes and rivers here in MN already with Zebes and Milfoil and soon to be Asian Carp. In FACT, one of the greatest walleye lakes in the state is loaded with Zebes. Last time I checked, things were status quo up there. Heck, the Rainy River is infested with AIS and people were recently waiting for hours just to launch their boat to get on it and fish.

Bottom line is that what we are trying to do here like trying to keep a single dandelion out of our yard. No matter HOW HARD you try and HOW MUCH MONEY YOU SPEND that little bugger will find a way to grow. Mother Nature always wins and the strongest always survive.

So you wanted a better solution and here it is. Punt….and hope for good field position.

Exactly, So maybe they should charge us for that sticker and put the money towards research.

Because the only excuse I am hearing is that they are wasting money on a useless sticker.

How else should they come up with the money. Higher taxes all around. Even higher license fees

Or what else would you like to receive in place of a sticker for your money.

The sticker isnt doing anything. So how about we spend the money on improving boat landings? Adding a few more CO's to actually do what they were intended for, not giving people grief about a sticker, and pulling people over because they have a boat. Or having them man a boat wash. Do we really need to pay someone $50k a year to check to see if you have a weed on your trailer? Being the DNR was so short funded, they needed more money, how about they spend it on stuff that will make a difference.

How many hundreds of millions of dollars will be spent on "slowing the spread" of AIS, that could be spent on stuff that will make a difference. Even if they spend 1 billion doolars on this, how may lakes will that prevent from getting it? And the lakes that get Zeebs, and milfoil, how much damage will it actually cause those lakes? Will the few that will have the eco system altered, be worth a billion dollars? Spend it on research, or address where it came from in the first place. Until then, you are using a finger to plug a hole in the side of the hoover dam, that will continue to spring leaks daily.

And for the record they are also wasting money on the gold-plated, high powered, ultra aerodynamic, evasive blasting, super mega power washers as well.

I wish they would have contacted me first as I have them on sale for $14,000 THIS WEEK ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!