• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big Stone Reports

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

With the opener this Saturday and no chatter to this point thought I'd get it started. Anyone heading out? What's the water levels and temps like right now?

I plan on heading there the following weekend but would sure like to hear how it is going for those hitting this coming weekend.

This coming weekend will be busy with the opener. Also, I think they are having their annual walleye tournament next weekend so that's going to be busy as well. I was there couple weeks ago and boy the water level is really low. I hope with all of these rains we got helps. I'm planning to go out fishing the border stretch from big stone to traverse lake but not 100% yet. I will report back if I go. If not this week, I think either next week or the following week. Good luck if you go and let us know how you did.

Jeff, the weekend following the opener is the annual "Border Water Challenge"

100 boats.

It's kind of a mess if you're trying to fish and not party of the tourney.

Just giving you a heads up.

100 boats on Big Stone would not be a mess unless they were in the same area of the lake. Big Stone is like 27 miles long,use a different landing and you would hardly know there was a tournament[except at take off time].

My two cents.

We've been up there during the tourney before. Most of the time the guys are pretty good and respect your bite your working.

125 boats, shoot out from the foot of the lake. Usually isn't too much of a mess in the tournament but there will be lots of boats to contend with on the lake.

It's been a while but I've hit Big Stome on the MN general opener and there were less than a dozen boats on the entire lake.

Anyone fishing last weekend and have a report?

Very slow to say the least. Started out on the southern islands Saturday morning before getting blown off the lake. Went back out Sunday mid-day near Windmill, Hartford and Shady beach areas. Between four guys throwing jigs w/minnows, twister tails, trolling cranks, fishing bobbers, we only had one bite! No fish to speak of. Saw a few boats in the same areas and didn't see any fish caught at all. Had fun regardless, but it was not a weekend to remember.

That's a tough weekend! Well at least it sounds like I didn't miss the bite. wink

wasn't fishing in the tournament, but went there Friday afternoon with the plan of fishing Friday and Saturday. Plans changed on Friday, it was brutal wind. Saturday morning decided to wait it out until after noon, then went out after the winds subsided. 2 bites, no fish. Cold front shut things down for us.

Fished the Mtt the past weekend the bite on Big Stone is on. We caught fish trolling and pitching. It has been a long time since I have seen a bite like that on Big Stone. Over 2/3 of the teams brought in their limits.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Does anyone know if they are considering backing up the BWC on Big Stone this year? It is really looking like the ice wont be off the lake in time to hold the tournament on the 27th? If they do will they refund your money if you cant fish it the date that they have moved it to?

Last spring the BWC sure was a tough bite. Wish the wife and I would have entered as we would have been int he money. wink

It looks iffy at the moment but it can change in a hurry this time of year.

cAN A GUY STILL GET TO DECENT ICE BY WALKING OUT FROM SHORE ANYWHERE OR ARE THE SHORELINES SHOT?

I'd drive out but after seeing 4wds struggle last weekend I think I'll walk seeing I dont have a 4wd! smile

Your Saturn isn't 4 wheel Teejay? No wonder you get such good gas mileage. whistle Same with my Saturn.

nope. Manual 5 speed smile wouldnt trade it 4 the world,..... cept when I want 4WD to drive on lakes.. lol

how much ice is out on big stone yet? Is there a chance at all that we will beable to fish the opener in a boat?

There is 30 inches of ice.the 15 day forecast doesn't look good for melting ice.the shore lines aren't pulled away yet my guess will be no open water until after may 1st

Would it be a safe bet to cancel hotel reservations for the border walleye challenge? I'm Thinking that the tourney will not be happening this year! It's to bad they way they are gonna handle it too. I didn't send them $150 to put my name in a stupid drawing. I would prefer just to get my money back. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way either!

i would think it would be a safe bet that is my thoughts you never know weather could change but it will have to change fast.i hear you on the $150 dollar raffle ticket. could take that moeny and get in the mtt the following weekend but i dont know if the ice will be gone then.the thing is the waalaye challenge is a money making thing for the walleye club thats the reason i am ok with it as the club does good things with that money but if you arnt local i understand

I was burned in the past by Big Stone entry fees/weather. It was the year of that late snow storm....I was two hours north and absolutely no travel was advised in our area. I let them know our situation and asked if the fees could just be carried over into next year as it was impossible/dangerous to try and come. I didn't even ask for a refund. Basically too bad was the answer we got. Have not been back since and happy as this would have been 2 times in 4 years we would have lost the entry fee.

A raffle would not please me.

This is my thought. Take $25 out of every teams entry fee and call it a "processing fee" Thats $3125.00 in their pocket to do what they want to do for the club and fishery. Thats $12.50 from every fishermen that im sure are more then willing to put towards the club and lake. I didnt buy a $150 dollar "Raffle ticket", nor am I going to. I already cancelled my reservations at econolodge in Ortonville and am giving them till Friday to change the "rule" and give the teams $125 back. Otherwise it cost me $25 to stop payment on a check at my bank and thats what I plan on doing. So either they can have my $25 bucks or the bank can. This would have been our first year and unfortanatly it will be our last!! 2c

hogwild thats a great idea.i never thought of that.i would go to the bigstone lake wallye club website and get the contact info and start making some phone calls.i would think if they get enough complaints they will have to make a change