• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

TEAM 6- "BEARD BUSTERS"

pumper317

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Sometimes the stars line up I guess.

Last year there were just as many birds around but they outsmarted us every step of the way.

Heading over to the Ellsworth area on Friday to hunt the weekend on 160 acres of private land we have permission to hunt on.

I hope the good luck continues.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hugonian1

• pumper317

• delzz7

• elevatorguy

Good luck in Sconnieville Hugo. We're leaving for just east of there tomorrow evening. Always a great hunt.

I am not really sure what to expect in Sconny.

The landowner says he has been seeing turkeys and he has not let anyone else hunt the property.

We have not had time to do any scouting.

I would guess the turkeys will have a big cheese wedge on their head and a 12 pack of beer tucked under their wings. grin

Good luck pumper.

Team 6 has some turkey karma going.

5 for 5 would be nice. smile

I am not really sure what to expect in Sconny.

The landowner says he has been seeing turkeys and he has not let anyone else hunt the property.

We have not had time to do any scouting.

I would guess the turkeys will have a big cheese wedge on their head and a 12 pack of beer tucked under their wings. grin

Yup they make it easy,just wait for them to come stumbling back to the roost or catch them hazy eyed and hungover in the morning. shockedlaugh

Good luck again Hugo! Hopefully we will be swapping stories and pictures come next week! Be safe.

Went scouting this morning at the local "spot." Got out there at about 520 and heard at least 6 different birds gobble, ove being a jake. To say I am excited is an understatement. Hopefully some stars align, and i have a story for all of you after it is over. Good luck team!

Sounds like you have a great spot.

The scouting and anticipation is sometimes the funnest part of the hunt.

Good luck.

Good Luck to you pumper! Sounds like you will have multiple birds to try and work. Which is a nice option.

Good Luck Hugo in Scoony!

I will post some pics and details from my recent trip to Nebaska. When I get some extra time.

I didn't get a turkey this year. We had the spot picked out for months but the Tom's wouldn't come in range.

Sorry you were not able to harvest a bird Jake but it sounds like you had some birds around.

The good news is you have a pretty good chance of being on the winning team. smile

MN was a no go for me. Like Hugonian said last year... They were one step ahead. This morning set up on a roost. 70 yards from them, in early. They came down, we called, they gobbled and ran the other way...Closest I came. Awesome to be in the woods, even if they didn't cooperate... weahter included.

pumper,

Sorry you were not able to seal the deal.

Sometimes it seems like it is going to be easy but the Turkeys come out on top.

That is part of what makes this sport so intriguing I guess.

We did not have any luck over the weekend in Sconny either.

There was a lot of gobbling in between the rain out in the adjacent bluffs but not on the property we had access to. The rivers were flooding over after all the rain. Today would probobly be the day to be out there.

Going again on friday in wisconsin! Cant wait, but hopes are high, but odds are low.

Thanks Hugo... Agreed on that fact, and if you throw some time off work in that mix, who cares if I even see one;-)

Had another great weekend in the Clearwater. Called for some fellas and saw birds #6,7,8,9,&10 perish. Epic spring and it ain't done.

WD

Wow Wallydog you have had quite a year.

I got out this morning for a couple of hours with the bow. Had a Tom just inside the woods that wouldn't come out at about 60 yards. he just would gobble every 5 minsute, but wouldn't show his face. I did have a hen with two jakes run thru the decoys. I let an arrow fly over one of the jakes back. I might give it another try on friday

Good luck Delzz, and congrats Wally, heck of a year. Spread some of that luck my way please. Need it for this weekend.

no go this weekend, but considering the weather and the ridges i had to climb... i was not too disappointed. Heard 3 or 4 gobbles in 2 days. Saw lots of birds sat afternoon. Put the sneak on 3 longbeards in a field, and after 100 yards of belly crawling in full gear in 90 degree weather, I stood up. Birds were 80 plus yards away, and got away... Go figure. Lots of learned things, as always, but nothing to show for it. Saw some nice birds though. Going earlier next year, and hoping for better weather. Hope everyone else had a good weekend. Sorry I couldn't help out the team, but it isnt for the lack of trying.

I went out yesterday afternoon, I had a hen come by me twice. Both times within 20 yards. I didnt hear or see any Toms. Used no decoys and called real sparingly. I will have to try a differnet spot.

Last hurrah for me......going to set a blind this afternoon and a good friend that has a controlled hunt tag on the Boise River will hopefully put the wood to a gobbler in the morning. Maybe see #11 meet it's waterloo!

Good Luck Wally

I got permission from another farmer yesterday. So im kind of excited for the next time i get a chance to go out. He says its probably the best spot in the county. We will see. I hope he is right!

Well we didn't get it done Wednesday...BUT this morning (last day of the season)in the rain I called in 2 longbeards that were so so silent and cautious. My pal whacked this absolute stud of a Rio Grande at 38 paces. I really didn't figure he was going to close the distance any further. We are watching his running mate dance around the flopper and peak back into the decoys and see another stud longbeard working over my Dave

Smith jake....he came out of a blind spot to the flopper only to get short-stopped by the decoys. Got a little video of him. This made 11 birds whacked out of my turkey silo this year. Epic spring indeed.

10" beard, honest 1.25" hooks, ~20#.

550987_3927374380998_1233469278_n.jpg

535992_3927377421074_1787135419_n.jpg

522203_3927383501226_1178831845_33843090

That bird definitely has some awesome spurs well done Wally

I'm still trying to get one with my bow. I have had a few encounters, but couldn't get them close enough. I have tried decoys and no decoys. I have got a few gobbles from my calling, but they haven't closed in on me. I dont think I have been over calling either, plus I haven't been Hunting mid to late morning.

Most of the toms have been with hens too.

I will take any suggestions if you have any.

Del,

I was still calling quite agressively yesterday and the birds did come to the call, tho they didn't vocalize. I'd sure give yourself a little more time as well. I've always said that if I had to choose 4 hours to hunt turkeys it would be from 10-2. Patience, patience, patience. Best O luck.

WD