• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Opener Moved Up

I'm laughing at the guys that are already booked for the current opener and worried about it moving up a week. How does this impact your trip? Can you not go if it's not the "real" opener? Is it cuz you can't say we went on opener however many years in a row? Who cares??? The fish won't know.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LMITOUT

• pushbutton

• Hookey

• goose89

I don't know if I buy all the slippery slope arguments about how this one change will automatically lead to more future changes, increased taxes, confused fishermen, etc.

And I'm also not sure I buy the argument that moving the "opener" up a week won't have much of an effect on local businesses and economies....A LOT of people will head north to catch some walleyes if it's opened earlier, and they'll be buying gas, bait, lodging, etc etc.

Given it's a Federal Treaty affirmed by the U.S. Supreme Court, just what is it you think the Minnesota Legislature is going to do?

Hopefully something.

I'm just saying, we've got bigger issues as a state when it comes to the DNR.

Should we Keep wasting our dnr license fees on northerns and muskies that get dumped in the ditch?

Bass are basically overexcitable carp, therefore a rough fish, so I say open them up all year. Nobody wants to eat them anyhow, so it's primarily catch and release. By the way,,,, WHY do we even have DNR fisheries biologists if we are going to allow half-wit politicians to make decisions in regards to our natural resources?????

WHY do we even have DNR fisheries biologists if we are going to allow half-wit politicians to make decisions in regards to our natural resources?????

+1

And I'm also not sure I buy the argument that moving the "opener" up a week won't have much of an effect on local businesses and economies....A LOT of people will head north to catch some walleyes if it's opened earlier, and they'll be buying gas, bait, lodging, etc etc.

Just curious why this would have any kind of economical impact at all??? If it opens the 5th, Minnesotans spend money on the 5th. If it opens the 12th, Minnesotans spend money on the 12th. I guess I don't see what the difference is. If I had a cabin rented for the 12th, and they moved the opener to the 5th, I would either a) keep the cabin and fish the 12th or b)cancel my cabin on the 12th and rent one for the 5th.

That's like saying neck tie sales would double if Father's day got moved to January.

Because in my example, the spots for the opener are already booked something like a year in advance, if it opened a week earlier, I and others that originally procrastinated or do not have a standing reservation, would now have the chance to go there, this is a place that has limited lodging opportunities, public or private. Also because people like me would just use this as another excuse to go fishing because the Mrs. just bought yet another pair of shoes..... and then she would respond in kind and buy yet another pair of shoes....just a vicious cycle with the economy benefiting smile You really do not think any extra activity would result from this? Some Minnesotans that planned to go to Wisconsin would stay home; people that had reservations not from Minnesota in Sconnie might also consider us instead, even the cheeseheads wink this is not a zero sum game......it is an extra sum game. Again, something is better than nothing...... at least in my world, and many others that rely on the fishing/tourism industry.

Who are you people? Someone is trying to offer the chance for an extra weekend of fishing on a lake that you want to go to instead of a river or out of state and many people are complaining. I don't get it.

Who are you people? Someone is trying to offer the chance for an extra weekend of fishing on a lake that you want to go to instead of a river or out of state and many people are complaining. I don't get it.

We're (I am) People, who even if we're offered something better / more, don't want politicians impacting our sport(s) anymore than they already do. If there were a groundswell of resorts (constituents) petitioning the suits on the hill, that's one thing, and that's what's supposed to happen. But if / when it's just a couple of politicians with a feel good idea to put there hat on, I'm against it no matter how much it benefits me.

I am keeping my fingers crossed it opens on may 5th, I work the 12th and 13th. crazy

Well for me opening week is like an event. I have the time off for the second week, so it's like I'll be missing out on all the fun surrounding opener. My opinion is that it will kinda muddy up both weekends and it wont be as fun of an opener as usual.

At the end of the day, I think it'll help the resorts and guides and I'm all for the working men and women.

grin since the price of gas always takes a big jump a day or so before opener will the increase come a week earlier ?

Also note the purposal was made as a add on to a much larger bill. Perhaps as sweetener ?

Here is the email I sent to all members that serve on the game fish committees:

Dear Senators and Representatives,

I wanted to express my appreciation for the proposal to open fishing season one week earlier than originally proposed. According to the DNR statements I have read, opening season one week prior will have no impact on the fish population since the unseasonably warm spring and early ice out has led to early spawning.

It has been disappointing to read the articles from some of our more popular outdoor writers and self proclaimed outdoors spokesmen regarding the early opener. Ron Schara is upset that the early opener will interfere with his crappie tournament and Dennis Anderson has somehow become the spokesman for the resort industry and written about how this will cause issues with the resort industry. It is clear to me why Dennis is a writer and not a business owner. I cannot fathom how an early opener could possibly harm a resort - yes, it would be an inconvenience since last minute planning would be required but it does give those that are savvy business leaders an opportunity to capitalize on additional revenue. Personally, I don't understand why the resort industry seems to have a stronger voice in our resource management than the thousands of citizens.

My fishing, like most Minnesotans, is limited to the weekends when I'm not working so two additional days of walleye fishing during a somewhat limited season is a welcome change. Some have argued that many have already made plans for a May 12th opener and this should prevent changing the date. Why? Why would opener a week early be an issue to anyone that has made plans? I don't think the lakes are going to be fished out due to an opener a week early and this really sounds like some "me first" whining. All in all, based on the weather this year, an early opener would be good for the average fisherman like myself and any business that supports the industry -- regardless of what self proclaimed experts believe.

This is a terrible article imho. I dont get why you need to cancel plans if you already made them. The fish will still be there and it just gives you an added week to get the boat out and make sure everything is running properly before the anual boat landing opener fiasco

Here is the email I sent to all members that serve on the game fish committees:

Dear Senators and Representatives,

I wanted to express my appreciation for the proposal to open fishing season one week earlier than originally proposed. According to the DNR statements I have read, opening season one week prior will have no impact on the fish population since the unseasonably warm spring and early ice out has led to early spawning.

It has been disappointing to read the articles from some of our more popular outdoor writers and self proclaimed outdoors spokesmen regarding the early opener. Ron Schara is upset that the early opener will interfere with his crappie tournament and Dennis Anderson has somehow become the spokesman for the resort industry and written about how this will cause issues with the resort industry. It is clear to me why Dennis is a writer and not a business owner. I cannot fathom how an early opener could possibly harm a resort - yes, it would be an inconvenience since last minute planning would be required but it does give those that are savvy business leaders an opportunity to capitalize on additional revenue. Personally, I don't understand why the resort industry seems to have a stronger voice in our resource management than the thousands of citizens.

My fishing, like most Minnesotans, is limited to the weekends when I'm not working so two additional days of walleye fishing during a somewhat limited season is a welcome change. Some have argued that many have already made plans for a May 12th opener and this should prevent changing the date. Why? Why would opener a week early be an issue to anyone that has made plans? I don't think the lakes are going to be fished out due to an opener a week early and this really sounds like some "me first" whining. All in all, based on the weather this year, an early opener would be good for the average fisherman like myself and any business that supports the industry -- regardless of what self proclaimed experts believe.

+1

just get over it.. there will still be plenty of fish to catch on the 12th.. "but i always fish the opener".. ya'll could've saved a good chunk of money if you just stayed at a Super8 along the mississippi and fished for your walleye.. no need for any opener south of pool 2 laugh

PushBotton,

This is clearly a hypothetical question, but lets just say they moved Christmas to I dont know...July 25th. You would celebrate twice? "Putty in their hands" if you ask me.

Here's how I look at it. Unnamed resort is currently booked solid for the weekend of the 12th. If opener gets moved to the 5th, such resort is now book solid for the weekend of the 5th, but I'd be willing to bet they now have more than a little vacancy for the weekend of the 12th.

And lets say they decide to move the Bass opener as well. Better book a 4th cabin apparently.

Then they decide to move musky opener. I suppose you best be booking a 6th cabin.

Not sure about you guys, but I can't afford to take off the year of 2012 to play this kind of game with the POLITITIANS. Especially when it isn't any of their dang buisness in the first place.

So why not trout? Bass? Muskie?

I'm sure no one will remember this come election time.

Forth of July is almost here, do you have your Christmas shopping done!

If you want to impress me let me troll with 2 lines.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So there we'll be a weekend not booked at that resort you have been trying to get into for years. Good for those few. Most likely the ones who started this goofy bill.

Now, who is going to pay to print all the notices to make sure every fisherman in the state will know? It's taking what 4-6 year to get everyone informed of the invasive species bill.

PushBotton,

This is clearly a hypothetical question, but lets just say they moved Christmas to I dont know...July 25th. You would celebrate twice? "Putty in their hands" if you ask me.

Here's how I look at it. Unnamed resort is currently booked solid for the weekend of the 12th. If opener gets moved to the 5th, such resort is now book solid for the weekend of the 5th, but I'd be willing to bet they now have more than a little vacancy for the weekend of the 12th.

And lets say they decide to move the Bass opener as well. Better book a 4th cabin apparently.

Then they decide to move musky opener. I suppose you best be booking a 6th cabin.

Not sure about you guys, but I can't afford to take off the year of 2012 to play this kind of game with the POLITITIANS. Especially when it isn't any of their dang buisness in the first place.

it would be more of a theoretically correct date.. seeing as "baby jesus" was "born" in june

So why not trout? Bass? Muskie?

I'm sure no one will remember this come election time.

Forth of July is almost here, do you have your Christmas shopping done!

If you want to impress me let me troll with 2 lines.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So there we'll be a weekend not booked at that resort you have been trying to get into for years. Good for those few. Most likely the ones who started this goofy bill.

Now, who is going to pay to print all the notices to make sure every fisherman in the state will know? It's taking what 4-6 year to get everyone informed of the invasive species bill.

why? I'm sure their would be plenty of people out fishing for walleye a week(or more) before opener anyways.. there's a lot of them "i don't care" types out there.. see'em all the time

It's pretty simple, actually. If you don't want to go on the 5th, then don't. If you're a resort owner that doesn't want to open on the 5th, then don't. Nobody is forcing anybody do anything. Those who want to make the effort and make a few extra bucks will be open.

An even simpler solution to all of this would be to eliminate the ridiculous "opener" altogether.

Why resorts wouldn't open early to cash in on all the gullible fishermen is beyond me.. cash money homie

i dont agree with the article at all. just a bunch of whining from Shara. fishing opener is not a holiday like Christmas is. resort owners are aware of this pending bill now. i would think they are getting ready for the comming year now just like any year. people dont have to change plans at all. opener would be a week earlier and doesn't stop anyone from going fishing on operner week and still go on the planned date. my plans wont change one way or another. probably still target panfish anyway if they bring it up early.

this will help the economy also. an extra shot in the arm for any buisness that caters to the fishermen. i cant see why resorts would complain, gas stations, liquor stores, grocery stores, bait shops and more. Shara says we need a year to get ready for a early opener? confused. on a one time deal? what i dont like about the possible change is that it is only a temporary one time deal. i told my rep to make the change permanent. we would be equal to Wisconsin as far as openers and cash would stay here for a change [at least some of it]. good luck.

So this is just about resort owners?

I would like to shoot a Timber Wolf! laugh That would be a big boost to the economy. I know that would get me to think of driving north, because the lakes around here are full of fish and there are 50 lake within 30 miles. I don't use live bait 98% of the time and my tackle boxes are full.

So I say; All of this just for Resort owners..?

Let all the crazies have there day a week early this year and I'll go fishing later when they are sleeping it off!!!!

just think memorial day this will alll be water far under the bridge

i just kinda go with the flow

if its open i'll fish..whereever

if not i wait 7 days OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...LOL