• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Team 2 - TOMBOYS

DrJ

Hunter will be heading out in the morning.Scouted a spot tonight,two toms and a hen were feeding in the field,then watched them head to roost.Hopefuly they feel like playing the game in the morning.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rbs

• DrJ

• Abndoc

• DanOmite19

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i connected with a nice gobbler this morning it had a 9 in beard and 3/4 in spurs weighed 22 pounds, will post pics and story tomorrow night. Good luck tomorrow

Good luck to Hunter tommorrow morning. Way to go Pikefisher09 the TOMBOYS are on the board. Come on Monday... DrJ....

Well I was able to add another bird to our total today. I posted the stats on the sub thread. 21 pounds, 9.75in beard, short spurs but overall a pretty solid bird. Happy to break my dry spell for the last couple years. Hopefully I can pull a double and bag one in WI next week... Good luck to the rest!

Way to go Dan.Nice bird. Glad I'm not hunting today since it looks like it's raining pretty hard in SE Mn. DrJ

Hunter had lots of action on his first morning. The two toms we watched go to roost last night gobbled a ton at day break. They came into the field with three hens and followed them for awhile. Then they decided to come to the decoys.Pretty much nonstop gobbling as they strutted their way in.They went right for the jake deke and proceeded to smack it around and jump on it.The whole time my brother and I are trying to calm Hunter as he has come down with tom fever.They separated enough for a shot,Hunter shoots and gets a few chest feathers as the birds run away,so close so we move to second spot and see a tom in a pasture. We get setup in the field and call he gobbles and a hen starts to yelp.This goes on back and fourth for an hour when finally the hen comes into the field followed by six more hens and four longbeards. One tom walks up to the jake deke and Hunter couldn't get comfortable for a shot and the tom walks off. The other three toms get to about 30 yds. but are too tight together no shots.Lots of gobbling and action today all on Hunter's 8th birthday.

Great job guys! I am probably going to be taking a buddies kid on Saturday and Sunday and then also I will be going to the DAV Camp Ripley Hunt to help a disabled vet close the deal on a turkey as well. Wish us luck, even tho these 2 hunts won't count for the team. I will post pics when I get back.

rbs those 2 hunt count for way more then this little contest. I just want to say thank you for what you are doing and good luck. Get those vet's some birds and I can't wait for the pic's and story.

Won't be here for the weekend but my DSD Jake and hen will be here for the DAV hunt...anybody here use them? All the reports that I hear about them they work awesome!

I just picked up the same set of decoys.

They sure look good!

I hope I don't accidentally shot one. grin

Hunter shot a double bearded tom at 8:30 today.I will post pics and story.Hunter says " Go Tomboys"

Way to go HUNTER.My season starts on Monday and I'm all packed and ready to go. Looks like we already have 3 on the board. I'm so pumped up to get #4. Good luck to all this week. DrJ.......

Well after coming close a few mornings Hunter connected with his tom saturday morning.The morning started out with two toms gobbling in the woods behind us.They flew down and came out to the field,they skirted our setup at about 30 to 35 yards.They were a little out of Hunters range.In the woods 400 yards to our east some hens,toms and jakes were starting to filter out to the fields.They were all feeding our way.They got behind a hill and we lost sight.After twenty minutes of staring at the hill we spot all of the turkeys running back into the woods they came out of.We spotted two hunters walking back to their truck.Once the truck left two turkeys come out of the woods and are heading our way.They both start to run to our setup closing in fast.We get Hunter ready and wait. We lose sight because the blind window is up on that side.We don't have to wait long for them to arrive.One runs right up to the jake strutter deke and puts his head right between the decoys fan.My brother and I are trying to calm Hunter.The turkey spins my decoy round and round.Hunter is worried about my decoy I assure him its fine if he hits it.Hunter pulls the trigger and his first tom is on the ground.Last year his jake came 2 days before his b-day,this year his tom came 2 day after.Took it to the taxidermist and he was not sure if it was double bearded,looked like main beard got hit and split but he was not sure.The sporting good store were we registered it thought it was.Hunter will register it for the contest as a single beard.We had a lot of action on every hunt a great way to start the season.My brother was able to make it on every hunt and was able to get it on film. P.S. I need a new fan for my decoy :grinhuntersturkey-1.jpg

never hunted Turkeys. your story is awesome. what a great moment for your son. congradulations. good luck.

Congrats Hunter, Ok so here is my story... Me and my dad who doesn't hunt went out on opening morning we left the house at 5am. We get out to where i have scouted turkeys for the last two months routinely. We planned on not hunting out of a blind so we bought a ghillie suit and other good camo the previous week. Anyways we get there and we walk down a fence line to set up about 50 yards away from the roost. We finally get to our spot and i notice another blind right on the other side of the fence and so i talk to the guy to make sure he knows i will be close so he doesn't shoot me on accident. Then we sit back down and wait..... around 550 am we start hearing gobbling because it was windy so it kept them quiet a little longer. They then fly down roughly around 615 and go out of sight to our right but not far away. Then my dad spots a hen about 5 yards to our left and it goes directly in front of us without noticing us, that was really cool. Then 5 minutes later my dad spots 3 gobblers to my left about 25 yards away so i move my gun slowly and line up and fire. The bird drops, i unload my gun and walk toward it and it runs away!! I was not a happy camper after that, we spent a few minutes looking for it but couldn't find it. So i go and talk to the guy who was right next to us and he was really nice and open to ideas, but anyways we were talking and had barely introduced ourselves when we saw two huge toms working our way about 150 yards away. We both drop down and army crawl to his blind and my dad was still on the other side of the fence so he was concealed. The guys friend was filming and so he gave one yelp and these birds came in on a line. I couldn't see them until they got 8 yards away because of the way i was laying behind their blind. He was using a bow so he shot first and smoked his, then mine put its head up curiously then i blasted it!!!! it was awesome the guy sent us the video that he had edited and it is sweet. Good luck Tomboys!!!!

full-28265-19700-img_0985(1)234.jpg

full-28265-19701-img_0990(1)234.jpg

Congrats Hunter and PikeFisher! It's great to see people taking the time to get kids out hunting and getting them hooked early.

Pike - I was surprised at how cooperative you and the other hunter were with each other, that was a pretty cool story. I'm pretty sure if I saw someone setup that close to a spot I wanted to hunt I'd back out because I'd figure we'd be in each others way but you two seemed to work it out just fine.

wow great job you 3 with your birds. 3 birds in season A is a pretty good start! Kind of adds alot of pressure to the rest of the team doesn't it...lol

I didn't get to get out over the weekend with my buddies kid but they heard some birds and had some close but couldn't close the deal...always next year. I leave for the DAV hunt in the morning...that is always a fun one. Good luck DrJ on your hunt!

Well it was another fun DAV hunt this year and he got a bird also. When we left it was 19 birds for 38 hunters which is pretty darn good if you ask me!

dav2012.jpg

Al - 19#15oz 11" Beard 3/4" spurs!

I just returned from my hunt. Hunted from 5am to 6pm through wind and rain and a few nice days. We were down by Caledonia and the birds didn't like us this year. I think they are already bred down there and the toms didn't show any interest in my decoys or calling. Very little gobbling with none on 2 of the days.I had some birds pretty close but they didn't strut and just went on there way. GREAT to be out again and enjoying mother nature. Good Luck to all. The TOMBOYS still need 1 more bird to get to 4. Sorry I couldn't get the job done this year.... DrJ.....

Pikefisher and Hunter it's time to get your submissions in for our team. We still have a shot although no help from me. The Tomboys don't want to be buried on page 3. DrJ....

Nbadger23 how was the hunt? I can start on Wed but I won't be going till possibly Friday morning. My new bow won't be ready till Thursday and I don't think I can get it all set and sighted in on Thursday night so we will see.

Pike I didn't see your submission yet on the list?