• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Knowledgable Staff??????

Question

I'm trying to get away from the books for a bit here....

The other day we were out shooping for necessary spring arsenal. I was particularly going to find my new LMS 320. As we went around to 3 different stores in the saint cloud area, We came across several different types of staff. If you're from the st Cloud area, I'm sure you know the 3 main outdoor stores. Alright,....Keep those three in your head. We ended up going to all three before I found somone with the 320 in stock. In the first store we encountered a young guy in the fishing department. He was basically trained to say "the most expensive is the best and you should buy it". Now come on,....I know what I'm looking for and I know the bells and whistles on locators and options on them. He ignorantly proceded to tell me that the X15 is an awesome unit. And the 16MB card for my 320 would be around 150 bucks. Shocked by the young pups stupidity, We proceded to the next store only to find that they didn't have the 320, Along with many other electronics. Then to the 3rd store where the sales person was a bit older and unbeleivably inteligent and knowledgable about the unit i was looking to buy. We had questions and this guy could rattle off an answer to anything you asked him. I was very impressed.
So I get home with the 320 and look in the box, ONLY TO FIND $600 WORTH OF WIRES!. I called them back and was told to bring it back. They gave me the display box. In return the gave me a new one and a $20 gift certificate.

I know I rambled on my story but I want to emphasize the employees here. I bet you're wondering what stores I'm refering to here. To my suprise the most knowledgable staff award goes to SCHEEL'S SPORTS.

heres my conclusions in the order of store visited.

Store 1.---Young punks claiming to know something about what they're selling

Store 2---little selection of sonars

Store 3---Not a big selection but the help you can get there is great. Its not a store I normaly make rounds to but with service like i received, it will keep me coming back. We always talk about how we enjoy going in there because of the things you can learn.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 02-28-2003).]

13 answers to this question

Bigguns1: I think it all depends on who you meemt up w/ in store 1. I was at the Burnsville store today and picked up a new house and got a reel spooled. This guy knew everything about the houses. He was probbably in his 20's. I only shop at store 1 because that is all that's here in the cities. 2 other stores have never been a place w/ those of knowledge. Plus those 2 stores hardly ever advertise fishing/hunting stuff.

Does anybody ever buy anything at store 2?. I have $75 worth of gift certificates there and have not been able to spend them. The staff drives me away and if that doesn't happen the prices do. I love looking at sporting goods things and talking about them with people, but that store is a different story. I have found the Gander in St. Cloud to be pretty good. Good prices and helpful staff. At least they try. Scheels is the most experienced and are always more than willing to go out of their way to help.

Now now, Don't get me wrong here. I'm aware that there is good help at other stores, however one scratch in the car makes the whole thing look bad. And I'm only speaking of my experience in Saint Cloud. If I remember correctly, there are a few guys on here that have been or are employed by gander and such that happen to be quite knowledgable. I think that often times scheels isn't put on a high enough platform. My point is,...employees that know what they're talking about and can "walk the talk" are very important assets. Some places this is more obvious than others.

Bush, I see sportmans warehouse as a place to get everything at once. Often times you will find things cheaper. I saved $30 bucks there when I bought my otter house and sled.

Never tried Scheels - Gander staff has been okay, and Sportsman's staff is a little ... I would guess they are commissioned (nothing wrong with that) and once I established that I was 'just checkin' out' the Loomis' - the sales guy took off like a flea from a dead dog.

I will surely go to Sportsman's for my staples - line, terminal and the like.

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

Chemist, I'll put most of my staff and their knowledge up against any retailers in the state. Yep, sometimes I have to hire an eager young person, who learns over time, but then again, everyone starts somewhere. Heck, I've personally got a long way to go when it comes to archery, but I still have to sell the stuff. But if you want to go item for item regarding ice fishing, GPS, Vexilar and other electronics, Walleye, bass, pike and llunge, panfish, bird hunting (especially pheasant and grouse, ( See, everyone specializes somewhere) varmint etc, etc, etc, look me up. I'd be glad to help. Plus, this is a hobby industry, and it is full of opinions. And like a wise person once said, "opinions are like a--h---s, everyone has one". Half of the folks I've ever met on the water presume to be authorities in whatever it is they like.

I personally avoid the mall in St. Cloud like the plague. Maybe I'm just too old, or too tired, or I see all the people I need to all day long. My closet, as well as my wife, will tell you I'm not to hip on the new fashions either. smile.gif I do manage a trip to Sears every once in a while to tool shop, and I must say that the few times I have been in Scheels the people have been very helpful to me. The only complaint I have is they definately need more room and they are already working on it so good for them.
As for the other places in town I find it is hit or miss on quality help. There are one or two familiar faces I look for at each store, but for the most part I do most of my research on what I'm buying before I enter the store.Usually I'm there to compare prices and I try and get out before that little voice reminds me I'm carrying plastic! I guess there is still a "limit" as to how much fun you can have at a grown up toy store. frown.gif Interesting topic-TROY

the only place i have had trouble with is store 1 in burnsvile there it is hit or miss so I instead make the trip to bloomington very helpful there worth the extra drive just my 2 cents

LOL, I don't have to type a post because Aqua Eye just typed exactly what I would have. That is funny, including the fashion part and sears. LOL

Irvingdog: I see you must work at store 4? I have gone in there to for fishing stuff on 4 occasions, and I have had to twist arms to get help and usually the help I've gotten has been sparing. Because of the relative closeness of GM to where I live/work I don't make the trip to store 4 unless I have to get stuff for softball then I may wander up to the fishing area. I believe the true draw back to the Minnetonka store is the location fo the fishing dept. It basically is the farthest dept to get to in the store.

Please don't take offense to this. I'm not meaning this to be a anti-store 4 or store 2 for that matter.

I buy a lot of stuff at your store irvingdog. Not because I love the staff though. Irvingdog, it sounds like you are one of the higher-ups, so this might be a good time to put this out there. Nothing bothers me more than to walk around a store for an hour with nobody saying a word, and then when I put a item in my hand or basket its like wolves chasing with their stickers. It must be the way you divy out commission, but it does not do your store any good to have some guy walk up and say only "it looks like you need a sticker on that". If you were so eager to give me a sticker maybe you should have asked to help me when I was looking for the item. Just a minor gripe on my part. I like shopping at your store they have great selection and prices, but their sticker system is not perfect by any means. If you earn it, the commission great, but not if you have to make a run at me before I hit the escalator with my purchases.

Irvingdog,
Yer gonna catch a lot of flack during this topic. Hang on!

My .02 - I've never been in your store, not for any reason in particuliar, I just don't cross paths with one of your stores. I have, however, worked retail sales out on the floor as both commissioned, and non-commissioned. Open floor retail is hard to work out a commission system on, especially when a customer can go from department to department before ringing up. In home improvement, I rang up all my own sales, so I got my own commish, but I was special orders - not floor merch.

Put yourselves in their shoes for a minute - you have a large area of 'structure' to cover, your only finesse tool is your personality and product knowledge - both of which can either help or hinder the presentation, depending on whether your customer is in a neutral or positive mode. You can see your customers - you know they're there, but are they active? The ones looking at sonars and G.Loomis rods are a bigger payout than the ones schooling around the line and lures. Where are you gonna cast? Is it gonna be 1000 casts for one big hit, or is it gonna be one small purchase after another, and limit out the hard way? Now imagine that that's your livelihood.

When the economy goes south, retail, especially luxury and leisure retail, has to cut back. It's a drag, but it's a reality. A high school kid with no experience costs less to keep on the floor as a part-time employee with no benefits than an experienced older person with higher salary needs and benefit requirements.

------------------
< )/////><{
RobertC

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Guys,
we have to be careful here. We can't have attacks going on here. People posting here are anonymous for the most part.

Imagine store 1's employees posting and attacking store 2. We may never know for sure and may even think they were regular customers.

I don't have the time to find out what is true in every post and it's not fair to allow any attacks on any person or business because of the potential for abuse by a few.

I hope you understand. Those are the rules and they aren't likely to change. I can't justify hiring someone to verify the truth of posts that attack a particular business or person.

Please don't attack a store.

Another pet peeve is making a commercial post for a store. Telling others that a store is having a sale is commercial and we have no way of knowing who that post comes from either. I suspect that often enough the stores themselves are using the forums to advertise their sales. I would have no problem with this if they are sponsors.

We will be looking into this aspect to prevent this sort of potential abuse and open the doors for smart stores to get the word out to you here on their sales. In the meantime, please refrain from advertising sales for the various stores, please.

We have to keep finding ways to ensure we keep FishingMinnesota.com around for the long haul. It isn't cheap to run.

Please remember:
No Attacks
No Commercial Posts

OK, I'm off my soapbox now. grin.gif

Have fun smile.gif

Every once in a while, you find a knowledgeable salesperson at any hunting/fishing store. When I do, I usually go back to the store and their help. However, I usually try and do my homework first, whether online or in print and then ask a store's advice as "icing on the cake." Unfortunate, but true, in my case at least.

I do liked to be "checked on or aknowledged" ocassionally when in a store rather than being ignored.

My 4 cents.