• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I haven't tried smelting for years. Family and I will be in the area the weekend of April 13, 14. Son in law and I thinking of going to Park Point to see what is going on. If the smelt are coming in, would anyone be willing to lend us their seining net for a couple of pulls? Like to pick up a few. Where on Park Point do people fish? Thanks...Jim

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lispeej

• Northlander

• MidCoast

• BD110

If they are running the whole entire point will be full of people. You could probably just go ask someone & they'll give you some. I did go out last night for a while. Got probably 2 or 3 a pull. Theyre not there yet. Was a nice night out there though. IM sure within the next 10-12 days if its sunny & above 50 ish at night they will start coming in.

Thanks for all the updates guys it really helps for me coming from 6 hours away keep up with them plz so I can plan accurate for my drive and not get caught speeding lol. Thanks again

According to the DNR North Shore Stream Fishing Report for 4/2:

Quote:
River temperatures are still too cold for

the smelt run. Refer to the “Smelt on the North Shore” fact sheet at

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/areas/fisheries/lakesuperior/smelt.html for more information on rainbow

smelt.

Water temps on Bois brule were 44, 45 degrees on sun, mon. Suckers are running.Havent heard on smelt tho.

Any one have any news on smelt in Ashland? From what I picked up, we are about a week behind from when the smelt arrive there.

What is the latest and greatest on Smelting reports for both MN and WI?

My guess is Smelt should be starting to run now especially in WI.

Nope. Not yet.

Fishing & Smelt Report

April 4rd, 2012

The local Bait Shops were out smelting Tuesday night and didn't get any Smelt. Continue to check this report http://www.visitashland.com/recreation/fishing.php or call the smelt hotline at 800-284-9484 and we will keep you informed on the smelt run and let you know when they start running. The local forecast calls for mostly sunny skies and mild temperatures in the low 50's.

The "Smelt Run" in the Chequamegon Bay usually starts after the ice goes out of the Bay. Visitors and locals love “smelt season”. The smelt usually run late at night and are brought in with a seine net or dip net. The seine net is used on the shores of the big lake and some smelters use a dip net in the creeks. Smelting is always a fun time with the smell of the clean air of Chequamegon Bay and the awesome site of the many campfires along the shoreline. Smelters light campfires and enjoy the outdoors as they wait for the run to come in heavy. At times the smelt may start running at 9:00 p.m. or they may be running at Midnight or later. They are unpredictable little fish (approximately 4 to 5 inches in length) that only answer to Mother Nature. Smelt were planted in the lake many decades ago and are not a native fish in Lake Superior. Smelt season usually lasts 12 to 14 days. There is an old tradition that you bite the head off the first smelt brought in….of course you don’t actually eat the head but you would be the brave smelter for sticking with tradition.

Anyone trying for smelt down at Park Point? The old "regulars" on this site don't seem to be giving as many updates as in years past. I have depended on them the last few years to pinpoint the run so I know when to go down and get a few. grin

I'd hate to have to be the one to test the waters and give updates on the run! shockedgrin

The water was 36.8 last weekend and this week has been cold. That may be part of the reason there has been no updates.

Ok, here's a smelt report from Ashland...

Was up this last Sunday for the night. We pulled the net right after dark and got a bit excited when we pulled out 2 smelt. When we got back to the truck at 1am we discovered we had a whopping 8 smelt in the bucket. We safely released 4 rainbows, a 8lb brown, and 4lb eye. We also got several 2lb suckers and a pout.

The cashier at the gas station in town said we offered the best report yet! She said one guy said he spent $1,700 and a week up there and only had 1 smelt to show for it!!!

We're thinking early next week.

As far as Park Point? Could be a couple more weeks. In years past they've run up there the last week of April.

I drove down to the point for the first time today to take a look at things. The weather this last week has not been very good at the head of the lake. I was not totally happy with what I saw but I have pulled a seine in worse weather. At least three of us are going to give it a try for the first time this season.

Should have some news to share tomorrow morning.

Thanks Dougger222....I can't wait to hear some more reports....

We'll see how your night goes BD110. Good luck.

There was no luck to be had tonight. The wind and waves had continued to build from when I checked this afternoon and the change in wind direction I thought they were calling for did not seem to happen. My seine never left the back of my truck. We watched a few groups of guys give it a try but they quickly backed up and left.

I did not swing by the Lester river to see if they were having any luck with dip nets.

I was out at Park Pointe(bridge) at about 9:30 last night(4/5/2012). No one was there. Then I went to Lester and no one was there at 10 to 10:15 pm. About 5 to 10 min later a guy showed up and tried for about 2 hours. All he got was a trout in the first 20 min and that was it. While talk'n with a local guy I know, some guys came up to check out Lester and mentioned that they just came from the Pointe. They said some one, in one of their pulls got 2 or 4 smelt but that was it. Probably the local smelt that isn't with the mass. They aren't here yet and won't be here for a bit longer. The cooler temps and wind don't help either. Now I'm gonna wait till my guy tells me its on. 3 hour drive north just to find out they aren't running yet is not fun. So now I wait. My guy say he's going to go out every night and check up on things. Says that it could be any day and he don't want to miss it this year like he did last year. That's all that I know.

The local bait stores in Ashland are still reporting no smelt as of last night.

I wasn't able to make it out last night (Sat.) doesn't look like I missed anything special.

Found temps of 42 degrees out there this morning. A little better to get the fishy's flowing. Also the bottom 20' of my graph was littered with them out in 35 FOW. Shouldn't be long.

Thank you for the reports guys. Hopefully, I will get a few gallons this season of Smelt. Last season, every time I came up to Smelt, waves were too big or Smelt just didnt run.

A couple nights ago the smelt were just starting to run. A few guys managed 3/4 of a 5 gallon pail. If the wind cooperates it should be in full swing in the next few days.

We were out last night for a few pulls with nothing to show for it, hopefully they start really running soon I have a few buddies who have never done it that are really excited to try it with success

We were out last night for a few pulls with nothing to show for it, hopefully they start really running soon I have a few buddies who have never done it that are really excited to try it with success

What time and where were you out? ie Bridge, Airport?

Heard it several times and need clarification.

When you say "Park Point Bridge" are we talking the lift bridge or is there another bridge.

I assume airport means park just before the airport boundry.

Thanks

Heard it several times and need clarification.

When you say "Park Point Bridge" are we talking the lift bridge or is there another bridge.

I assume airport means park just before the airport boundry.

Thanks

You are correct wentzele. From the the beach at the airport to the beach at the lift bridge is over 4 miles. So pinpointing where someone was seining is a good thing right now. On the other hand, when the run is on full swing it won't matter cause they'll be everywhere along the beach at park point.

Also since the smelt hit Ashland, WI first and then work their way up along the shore, they will hit by the airport a bit sooner theoretically speaking. But then again whats 4 miles for them.

I tend to stay away from the bridge area due to parking issues and the number of people who smelt there. The tot lot and airport area are my spots as well as going out from some people that we know houses. I wish the bay side of the airport would produce better. It used to be a great spot when it was too windy to pull the lake but the past 10 years its been dead.

You are correct wentzele. From the the beach at the airport to the beach at the lift bridge is over 4 miles. So pinpointing where someone was seining is a good thing right now. On the other hand, when the run is on full swing it won't matter cause they'll be everywhere along the beach at park point.

Also since the smelt hit Ashland, WI first and then work their way up along the shore, they will hit by the airport a bit sooner theoretically speaking. But then again whats 4 miles for them.

Your guess is as good as mine. I always have an issue with parking too. Also I always considered that its more shallow my the break wall by the bridge but I could be wrong.

Hey Steve Have been down almost every night and the best I have seen is 1 (ONE). I left before the 10:00pm hour so it must have been after that. Or they were down by the airport. If you look at the nets in the Harbor, there are no seagulls around so that tells me the nets have no smelt in them.

Thinking this weekend the start. They just started pulling hard in Ashland and are getting a 5gal full in four hours. Its just to cold for this old man to pull a net for no fish yet.>>>>later the load