• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Invasive Species Decal

Pretty sure this law excludes out of state tourists bringing their boats with them.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• harvey lee

• LMITOUT

• DTro

• jwmiller33

I've transfered invasive species...how many of you have done the same?

Let me explain...

I'm reflooring my boat, an 1980's alumacraft. Yesterday i filled up the boat with water to check for any leaks before installing the floor...No leaks, but what i did find was as i expected.

My boat has ribs running side to side. Each rib is about 1.5" tall and they are leak proof. So when it came time to drain the boat, i lifted up the hitch untilt he back of the boat was on the ground - about a 30 degree angle...and guess what, between each rib is a bunch of water yet.

Now when the boat is fully loaded, i can't pick it up that high, and even if i did, there is still water in the boat.

Last year i put a good sized hole in the boat, so it filled up with water on each trip to the lake. RUn the bilge, and when done, empty the boat out. ..then go to next lake a day, or few days later....and transfer invasive species. shocked

But...Didn't we try to tell the DNR that you can never get all the water out of a boat?!?

What is the point of this sticker. I can't remove water from my boat hull. Should my boat be banned? Should your boat be banned?

How far will this invasive species thing go and how many boats retain water like mine?

Asked the guy at the Brainerd office today about out of staters having to get the sticker, he said ANY watercraft must have the sticker before said watercraft is launched into ANY body of water in MN including non residents.

OK, I get the whole invasives thing. They are bad. They should be stopped from spreading...I get it. The sticker thing is one of the silliest things to come out of the DNR for a long time. Putting this big ugly thing on my boat is going to do what?

OK, I get the whole invasives thing. They are bad. They should be stopped from spreading...I get it. The sticker thing is one of the silliest things to come out of the DNR for a long time. Putting this big ugly thing on my boat is going to do what?

Raise awareness and provide incrminating evidence if you don't properly drain everything I guess.

Bigal/Orlip: Who did you contact to have those stickers sent to you? I tried DNR site that didn't work.

Just got my new boat license and there was nothing enclosed regarding this sticker, or stickers. Thanks, Bill

found another contact number for DNR and they are going to send the sticker to me. guess i'll now be in compliance....

The stickers are not that big or ugly! Picked mine up today and put it right on the side of my windshield where a CO can see it easily. Put the bottom section of the sticker on my trailer by the crank. No big deal!

Silly? Yes! I have to agree there!

Cliff

Here is from the DNR news Release April 5, 2012:

New required aquatic invasive species rules decal for boaters now available

A new required decal is now available for Minnesota boaters to help remind them of the state's aquatic invasive species laws, the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) announced today.

The free decals are available from:

• DNR offices.

• Deputy registrar offices where licenses are sold.

• Large sporting goods shops.

• DNR watercraft inspectors and conservation officers.

The decals will also be included in envelopes with new and renewal watercraft licenses mailed from the DNR.

The decal should be attached to all types of watercraft including canoes, kayaks and duckboats before launching on, entering into, or operating on any Minnesota waters.

The two-piece, gray-and-black decals detail new state laws that watercraft users must follow in order to avoid spreading aquatic invasive species such as zebra mussels, Eurasian watermilfoil and spiny waterfleas.

The decal must be attached to the watercraft, but state law does not specify where that must occur. DNR officials recommend displaying it where it can be read and can be shown to an officer upon request. However, the decal does not need to be in view of the operator (as is the case with the state's personal watercraft decal), and it does not need to be placed near the watercraft registration decals.

If a watercraft owner does not want to stick the decal on the boat because it is an antique wooden boat or other unique boat, the decal can be attached or laminated to an object like a luggage tag and kept in the boat.

There are two parts to the decal. Watercraft owners and operators must display the top portion of the decal on all watercraft prior to launching on, entering into, or operating on any waters of Minnesota.

The second portion of the decal is intended to be placed on the winch post of watercraft trailers or in another area to remind boaters to remove the boat's drain plug when leaving a water access area as required by state law. It also reminds boaters to replace the plug before launching. This decal is not required by law.

There is no penalty in effect, but conservation officers can issue a warning for not displaying the decal. After Aug. 1, 2014, it will be a petty misdemeanor for boaters who fail to display the decal on their watercraft.

More information about aquatic invasive species laws is available at http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives/aquatic_qa.html.

I plan on putting it on the side of my windshield too. Easy to see and easy to remove when we get new ones each year. I would not personally stick this to any painted surface on my boat.

I also think a "warning" for not displaying is ridiculous because its "technically" not required until 2014. I believe a more accurate way to describe this would be a "stern talking to" or "spend extra time interrogating at the landing/roadside" if anything.

I will put mine on, heed all warnings and hope this allows less "discussions" at landings/roadsides because I have it displayed.

I dont want my boat to turn into a sticker infested rig like these tournament rigs.

The sticker is not intended to STOP invasive species. Nor does the DNR think it will stop invasives. It never was meant to. That is an internet myth. It is intended to EDUCATE boaters, some of which are so incredibly lazy that after 20 years of telling people to clean off their boat they still don't get it. Jeeze some people complain about having to take out a drain plug. I question if they are motivated to reach under the boat to get a strand of weed hanging on the axle.

The DNR is trying desperately to allow people the ability to boat as we all have for our entire lives rather than bring down the heavy hand of the government. I think it's been posted here, and written about in Outdoor News, that proposals have gone as far as mandating that all boaters go to a certified cleaning station before going to a lake. No more last minute trips unless you first cleaning your boat. The DNR is also trying to keep the Lake Associations and Watershed Districts, especially the LMCD, from creating their own surface use rules/ordinances. I for one don't want 100's of different rules on what I need to do or where I need to go to comply with the rules. None of it would be, or currently is, found in the fishing or boating regs. Oh wait this is what is already being proposed for Christmas, Minnewashta, and others.

I agree the sticker is rather ugly. They could have picked a better color. If they really wanted people to notice it they should have made it yellow or orange to stand out to remind people.

Bigal/Orlip: Who did you contact to have those stickers sent to you? I tried DNR site that didn't work.

Just got my new boat license and there was nothing enclosed regarding this sticker, or stickers. Thanks, Bill

I see this is late but may help someone else. Just email [email protected] and request the sticker. Include your mailing address in the email also.