• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Saints paid players to hurt foes

KrabbyPatties

Talk about asinine:

Quote:
New Orleans Saints players and at least one assistant coach maintained a bounty program the last three seasons for inflicting game-ending injuries on opposing players, including Brett Favre and Kurt Warner — a pool that reached as much as $50,000 and paid specific amounts for ''cart-offs'' and ''knockouts,'' the NFL said Friday.

The report said the pool amounts reached their height in 2009, the year the Saints won the Super Bowl.

The league said between 22 and 27 defensive players were involved in the program and that it was administered by defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, with the knowledge of coach Sean Payton.

Williams, who was hired in January as defensive coordinator by new Rams coach Jeff Fisher, released a statement through the Rams admitting guilt.

“I want to express my sincere regret and apology to the NFL, Mr. Benson (Saints owner), and the New Orleans Saints fans for my participation in the ‘pay for performance’ program while I was with the Saints," Williams' statement read. "It was a terrible mistake, and we knew it was wrong while we were doing it. Instead of getting caught up in it, I should have stopped it. I take full responsibility for my role. I am truly sorry. I have learned a hard lesson and I guarantee that I will never participate in or allow this kind of activity to happen again.”

No punishments have been handed out, but they could include suspension, fines and loss of draft picks. The league said the findings were corroborated by multiple, independent sources, in an investigation by the league's security department.

''The payments here are particularly troubling because they involved not just payments for 'performance,' but also for injuring opposing players,'' Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. ''The bounty rule promotes two key elements of NFL football: player safety and competitive integrity.''

Payoffs included $1,500 for a ''knockout'' and $1,000 for a ''cart-off,'' with payouts doubling or tripling during the playoffs.

''It is our responsibility to protect player safety and the integrity of our game, and this type of conduct will not be tolerated,'' Goodell said. ''We have made significant progress in changing the culture with respect to player safety and we are not going to relent. We have more work to do and we will do it.''

The league absolved Saints owner Tom Benson of any blame, but said the investigation showed Payton and general manager Mickey Loomis knew about the bounty program.

''Although head coach Sean Payton was not a direct participant in the funding or administration of the program, he was aware of the allegations, did not make any detailed inquiry or otherwise seek to learn the facts, and failed to stop the bounty program. He never instructed his assistant coaches or players that a bounty program was improper and could not continue,'' the NFL said.

When informed about it earlier this year, the NFL said Benson directed Loomis, to ''ensure that any bounty program be discontinued immediately.'' However, the NFL's report said the evidence showed Loomis did not carry out Benson's directions, and that in 2010 Loomis denied any knowledge of a bounty program.

''There is no evidence that Mr. Loomis took any effective action to stop these practices,'' the NFL said.

Benson responded to the NFL's report saying: ''I have been made aware of the NFL's findings relative to the 'Bounty Rule' and how it relates to our club. I have offered and the NFL has received our full cooperation in their investigation. While the findings may be troubling, we look forward to putting this behind us and winning more championships in the future for our fans.''

The NFL began its investigation in early 2010 after receiving allegations that quarterbacks Warner of Arizona and Favre of Minnesota had been targeted. After interviewing several Saints who denied the bounty program existed — and having the player who originally made the allegations recant — the league couldn't prove anything.

However, Goodell said the NFL ''recently received significant and credible new information and the investigation was re-opened during the latter part of the 2011 season.''

Favre's agent, Bus Cook, said he was unaware of the investigation until Friday. He said the Saints should have been penalized for several hard, late hits during the 2009 NFC championship game and that he believed the contact was not coincidental.

''It was pretty obvious that the intent was to take Brett out of the game, and it happened the week before with Kurt Warner, too,'' Cook said. ''I don't know anything about whether it was by design or whatever, but I think a lot of people shared that same viewpoint that there were some hits that didn't get called.''

Cook, however, said Favre never suggested to him he was maliciously targeted.

''That's part of football, getting hit,'' Cook said. ''Brett never complained to me one way or another.''

Responding to a fan's comment on Twitter that - even if the Saints had a bounty program - the playoff hit on Warner was clean, the former Cardinals quarterback messaged back, ''I would have to agree with you!!!''

The National Football League Players Association released a statement about the NFL's findings:

"Health and safety is a paramount issue to the NFLPA. The NFLPA was informed of this investigation by the NFL earlier today and will review the information contained in the league’s report."

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LMITOUT

• YiGGiN4SLoBS

• flipper

• hawgchaser

Time for the Saints to be stripped of some draft picks. The NFL's position on bounties has been clear for years.

If they find out who was directly involved or the D coordinator was the master mind they need a stiffer penalty then any performance enhancing drug or what not. This is one of the worse offenses that the league has had to deal with!

Am I correct in that I remember the Saint's defensive coaches/coordinators being pretty upfront that they were indeed gunning for opposing players and looking to take them out of the game during that championship season.

I think they made specific comments that they were game planning to take Favre out of the game.

The NFL better stick it to the saints good for this garbage. I now have another team to hate besides the cowboys, packers and bears...

For anybody who remembers the 2009 nfc title game this is clearly not a surprise. it was very evident during the game that brett farve was a targeted man. i do not believe this is even arguable.

IMO the super bowl should be stripped and heavy fines laid out.

I didnt think it was possible for me to hate New Orleans and the Saints anymore, but I certainly do now! And these guys are just figuring it out now. Three years after the freakin game? And to think we [PoorWordUsage] all of that money away polishing a turd after Katrina. Doesnt matter how hard you rub. A turd will always be a turd.

The NFL better stick it to the saints good for this garbage.

Don't count on it, it'll be another slap on the wrist, and forgotten in a few weeks. I don't see Godell doing anything more than fining them. If they wanna stop this chit they start handing out some harsher penalties. From the PED's to this kind of stuff they gotta start doing something to really hurt the offenders or it will keep getting worse. Just [PoorWordUsage] me off to see players get fined for legal hit on qb's or wearing colored shoes, or using a prop in celebration, and then here from players this stuff happens all the time.

Greg williams should be banned from the league too!! What a complete waste of oxygen this guy is. Great example for young athletes. Do whatever it takes to win, including inflicting bodily harm on your opponent. I think if they took ALL of their draft picks this year would be appropriate punishment. IF you cant tell I am a little bitter cause I havent done "pants on the ground" since that night.

If 09' super bowl is not taken off the records, this story is worth nothing.

Disagree...strip them of some 1st round draft choices and it becomes very real. This should be done immediately! Coaches and a GM were well aware of the fact that this was happening and even contributing to the bounty.

Besides Favre, the Saints also took Warner out of the game in the opening round, if I'm not mistaken.

Williams and the Saints were very cocky and did mention many times throughout the play-offs that they were in fact "gunning" for certain people.

Some of the sports talk radio guys were saying that all teams do stuff like this, but the saints were just dumb enough to get caught.

As I see it, losing draft picks is a given. I don't think the NFL would have carried on such a thorough investigation if they didn't intend to make some examples out of some of the participants. It wouldn't surprise me if Williams is banned for life. I also see suspensions of up to a year for some of the players who put money down for the specific intent to take a player out of the game. To me, the big question is how deep/far this will go. What about Tennessee & Washington? Didn't this happen with Williams before? This should fill the off season talk shows.

If 09' super bowl is not taken off the records, this story is worth nothing.

This means Favre can come back...again...again...again!!! OMG he's like Elvis!

I don’t think they will ban Williams. Reading a few more articlices it was players fronting the money for the rewards. Villma has been brought up. Man, since they all ready don't have a first round pick this year, they may be absent from the draft this year. They traded it to New England, that’s kind of ironic. Looks like others are coming out and claiming this as well. Warner and P. Manning are saying teams hunted them. I am sure this has been going on for a long time. Just like Spygate. The Saints just got caught. The NFL has to make an example out of someone. Wondering why they didn’t go after Pittsburg?

I was suprised when I read it, while I believed that the Saints game planned to take Favre out, I see that as part of the game. Hit him, hit him, hit him. The part about $ being involved is what suprised me though. Take their draft picks and ban Williams for life definately, plus fines.

Three reasons I think Williams could be banned. He's been implicated in these activities before. He can be made an example without visibly/seriously threatening revenues. It's a great opportunity for the NFL to capitalize on the anti pro sports sentiments over the Braun decision in baseball. The NFL can come off as "saints" (pun intended) in the pro sports business.

It makes sense now, why the Saints didn’t resign Williams. Wonder if the Rams were informed about it before they hired him?

I hope they get fired and fined including Payton the head coach since he knew about it. We all knew they were trying to hurt people.

The Belichek cheating scandal, this and I really feel the Giants stole our gameplan or plays in the NFC Championship game. For anybody that thinks they get paid too much to do these things, these guys are super competetive and would probably break somebody's leg for an ice cream after the game.

I'd love to see them take their rings away.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Rings should be taken, those involved suspended or banned, and heavy duty draft picks should be taken away.

When safety is such a huge issue and players already getting massive fines/suspensions, Goodell better step-up and show how serious he really is about player safety.

Referees need training on this aspect as well. It was obvious to all but them what the Aints were doing.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Quote:
Benson responded to the NFL's report saying: ''I have been made aware of the NFL's findings relative to the 'Bounty Rule' and how it relates to our club. I have offered and the NFL has received our full cooperation in their investigation. While the findings may be troubling, we look forward to putting this behind us and winning more championships in the future for our fans.''
And to see how Benson minimizes this saying only "it was troubling" when unnacceptable behavior should have been the term and then has the gall to add insult to injury with the "Winning More Championships" statement, especially considering how they won the only championship they ever did...by cheating!!!

It will be interesting to see if Goodell lets it stand.

ESPN reported that Goodell was consulting with other owners. I think they'll watch Benson's back knowing they may need the same someday. The owners will express their outrage, but penalties will be assessed according to the least detrimental to revenues...coaches first & hardest hit, players second. Revenues are the key factor in any decision so I can't see anything so blatant as vacating the win/trophy/rings. That would mark the sport for years to come. JMO

I almost wet myself when Benson made the statement that included "putting this behind us." My translated interpretation was ."I'll throw anybody but me on the grenade."

This is football, not baseball. Does anyone really believe that this is the first time someone went out on the football field with an intent to "take somebody out"? Come on.

I guess it's time to dumb it down some more. Might as well put flags on their waists and just get it over with.

Much ado about nothing and just a bunch of feigned outrage on this message board due to the fact that New Orleans beat Minnesota in the NFC championship game.

Good grief.

I dont know if I really believe that this type of thing "happens all the time" where coaches and players are involved in paying eachother to take people out. Maybe a wink wink I hit him high you hit him low type deal every now and then...

With all the fines being delt out for hits now'a'days and getting flaged for farting at the QB I would say it just a tad bit more serious then u make it out Limit

I hope they get fired and fined including Payton the head coach since he knew about it. We all knew they were trying to hurt people.

The Belichek cheating scandal, this and I really feel the Giants stole our gameplan or plays in the NFC Championship game. For anybody that thinks they get paid too much to do these things, these guys are super competetive and would probably break somebody's leg for an ice cream after the game.

I'd love to see them take their rings away.

My all time fav Vikings fan excuse

This is football, not baseball. Does anyone really believe that this is the first time someone went out on the football field with an intent to "take somebody out"? Come on.

I guess it's time to dumb it down some more. Might as well put flags on their waists and just get it over with.

Much ado about nothing and just a bunch of feigned outrage on this message board due to the fact that New Orleans beat Minnesota in the NFC championship game.

Good grief.

Defending reprehensible behavior and taking a swipe at Minnesota in the process. How unpredictable, LMIT. smirk

You're right--this is football. A game. Entertainment. Nothing more--the outcome of a game isn't life or death to anyone. That anyone should be intentionally injured in the name of entertainment is sick. What if one of these morons were gunning for that pool of money and REALLY injured another player--like paralysis or worse?? I suppose you'd be cool with that too....'cuz it's not baseball. sick

And for the record lest you think I'm a sour Vikings fan, I can't stand them. I hope they go 2-14 next year, beating only the Packers.

sick

You're right--this is football. A game.

A game that involves contact.

As I said before, if you're that naive to believe this is the first time someone has intentionally tried to take someone out, well, then I've got a bridge to sell ya.

I don't agree with someone trying to take out another guy's legs (Jared Allen) or what happened in New Orleans, but I'm not shocked.