• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

10th Annual Burntside Bash March 3, 2012

Thinking about coming up for the Bash. I'm wondering what the chances of getting out to Brownell Island with a four-wheeler or Ford F-150?

I will have a better idea after tomorrow but I think you would have a chance. There will be some drifts in the open area but I don't think there will be too much snow accumulated on the ice there. Depending on when you come up there may be tracks heading that way already. It is a popular area to fish. I don't have much experience with a four-wheeler so I am not sure what they can go through but I bet a 4x4 F-150 would make it.

I do think that snowmobiles are the best bet for go anywhere travel.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike Stark

• Jim Almquist

• BD110

• PiedmontAngler

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I have a room at Adventure Inn.

I haven't made reservations and do not plan on doing so. They either have rooms open in town when I go looking or I'll be making a road trip.

chaff,

I would love to get some schooling on the whole pork loin you usually make up. I've tried it at home a couple of times but it doesn't seem to turn out as good as yours.

Tom,

I'd be glad to show you. It's nothing special though, weber grill, indirect coals, some hickory chips and about 1.5 to 2 hours.

Finding a room without a reservation shouldn't be a problem at least it wasn't before they got snow. I'm heading up tomorrow night and will be out fishing Friday morning. See ya on the ice.

Mike

I have a room at Adventure Inn.

Lisa and I have a room there as well as my brother Mark and his wife Gina. We will be hitting the road early Friday morning hopefully by 6:30 but it depends on how long it takes my brother to get up to Carlton.

We will be firing up our grill around noon so if anybody wants to use it you are more than welcome. Just give a shout on channel 7.

How does 4PM sound for a meeting time back at HQ, which will be the group surrounding chaffmj's grill? On that note a reminder that if we are able to drive trucks out keep them spread out.

I hear there is a big hockey tourney in Ely the weekend of the Bash. Better call ahead if you want a room.

Isnt Steve Foss going to take part in the Bash this year? Usually have a few hundred posts by him about this by now.

Anyways Mike whats the word on truck travel?

I was on the lake all day today. The catching sucked. Oh well. smile

The wind yesterday blew some snow around. Any kind of track got blown in. I did see a truck heading up the north arm. I also saw them coming back. smile It didn't look like they were having any issues. There were also some other truck tracks that had been blown in. So folks have been driving out. Some areas will be no problem for driving but others could get tricky. Any east facing shoreline is loaded with snow. The west facing shorelines have a decent amount of snow because it did not get blow away. The open areas are not that bad. The only issue in the open areas are the drifts but I did not see any that were that big. Snowmobiles are the way to go for no worries go anywhere travel. I do think you can get around in a truck tho. You just have to be smart about where you drive and stop. Bring shovels and tow straps/ropes. All the roads had been plowed.

Thanks for the update Mike !!!

I will be driving a silver 4runner and my bro will be driving a dark green suburban if you want to stop by and chat.

I will most likely be out on my snowmobile. I will either be pulling a little otter sled or a blue canvas craft magnum. Auger mounted on the front.

I wish all you Bashers the best of luck. I'm booked up tomorrow through Sunday, so I won't be checking in on the ice. Folks with 4x4 vehicles with decent clearance should have no issues if they avoid the typical snowy shorelines and tight neckdowns.

We've put more than 50 lakers on the ice so far this season. The large majority went right back down the hole so you can catch them on Bash weekend. laugh

Hurts to blow off the 10th annual. Ten years since our first Bash. So many times shared, friendships forged, memories forever. i'll be missing some of you guys a lot. frown

I'll be on the lake tomorrow around 8:30. If you see a maroon crew cab F150 stuck with a guy shoveling, a white/liver Brittany running hot laps around the truck, while his girlfriend sits inside the truck reading a magazine feel free to come over and pull me out! lol. I'll have smoked whitefish and lake trout as a reward for anyone who does!

a buddy and i are thinking of making the trek tomorrow as first timers on burntside and first timers of making such a trip with other FM'ers. we plan to make it a day trip. is there anyone meeting somewhere in the morning before they go out? we've never fished burntside before and don't have much of an idea of where to start looking.

also, any suggestions on what we should bring for the potluck? maybe some bags of chips? more brats and buns?

thanks,

P1010469.jpg

Couple nice ones from today. I will be frying up the one on the right at the Bash. I am bring a big propane burner if anyone wants to fry anything up. Quite a few folks driving out. Some areas of slush are starting to show up. Mainly by shorelines or where people have been fishing. A spot I fished on Tuesday was completely slushed out. The holes didn't refreeze because they got blown in with snow. It slushed out a big area. Stop by if you see me out there. I will be fishing without a shelter on my snowmobile. Auger mounted on the front.

a buddy and i are thinking of making the trek tomorrow as first timers on burntside and first timers of making such a trip with other FM'ers. we plan to make it a day trip. is there anyone meeting somewhere in the morning before they go out? we've never fished burntside before and don't have much of an idea of where to start looking.

also, any suggestions on what we should bring for the potluck? maybe some bags of chips? more brats and buns?

thanks,

I am not sure if there is a set meeting time in the morning. I would think folks would be showing up around 7:30/8:30. As for food bring whatever you want.

I hope everyone has a good time this weekend, I am sitting at home with a killer sinus infection and a bad case of bronchitis. Last weekend I was on Mille Lacs and managed to wrench my knee, scheduled to see an orthopedist on the 13th. My doctor announced to me that my ice fishing is over for this winter. cry

Hope every one has a happy/safe time. cool Wife and I made it up to the second BSB and had a great time.

My doctor announced to me that my ice fishing is over for this winter.

Get a new Doc! mad

Well another bash is in the books. Good food, good conversation. Note to self, watch out for open ice holes, or wear bigger boots. laugh

Well another bash is in the books. Good food, good conversation. Note to self, watch out for open ice holes, or wear bigger boots. laugh

That was a great way to end it. grin

Had a great time at the Bash. It was good seeing everyone and also meeting some new folks.

A nice 30in fish from today.

P1010470.jpg

Just got home and pics will come later with a better recap of the Bash.

It was fun and I got to release my biggest to date. A 200 lb Vic-salomiusoid!

2012 Bash is in the books.

A day of fishing lake trout with a little get together afterward with potluck style spread of food and good conversation.

Lake Trout were caught. Here is my son Frank Jr. with a Lake Trout caught with large Angel Eye tipped with a chub. In total we landed 5 Lake Trout and released one.

full-831-18297-frank2012bash.jpg

This Lake Trout fell to a White Pimple with a chub.

full-831-18302-frandsr2012bash.jpg

Gals In Fur Hats were there.

full-831-18298-lisa&friend.jpg

Food and lots of it.

Once again Mike(chaffmj) grilled up a killer pork loin and I got to bring home the leftovers,,Yes!

Mike Stark's deep fried lake trout was a big hit and so was Jim's Beans.

There was pickled pike brought from BD110 and Jim's brother.

full-831-18299-groupfood.jpg

The morning was a bit windy but eventually it calmed just enough to lift the flag.

All in all we had great weather.

full-831-18300-group.jpg

full-831-18301-2012bashgroup.jpg

We're back to what the Bash first started as.

Those that made it to the Bash, Are The Bash.

Thanks You All.

To me Burntside looks like a success story,for decades back in the 60's and 70's the DNR tried to build the trout population back up but they never took in numbers. It looks like when they changed strains and maybe some other variable they took and the population probably is as good as it ever was. Some of the old timers could varify that. Now it is up to the fishermen and the DNR to realize they got a good thing and keep care of it.

Sounds like everybody had a good time,that's excellent.

It was great to meet up with some old and new friends at the Bash. Lots of good food and some decent fishing mixed in. Mike out did himself on the pork loin and with his Laker fishing winkgrin

Some of the food:

IMG_0463.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg

Some of the gang hanging out after some great chow!!

IMG_0467.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

Frank taking a picture of Lisa taking a picture of Frank

IMG_0469.jpg

Mike and Jody getting ready to bounce on the last of the pork loin laugh

IMG_0470.jpg

Mike with his personal best 29 1/2" Laker:

IMG_0428-Copy.jpg

Mike with a 27" that was caught 10 minutes after his personal best:

IMG_0432-Copy.jpg

After Mike settles down he tell me to come over and toss a cisco down the hole that is catching all the fish. Got my cisco down to about 40' and all of a sudden a mark comes up off the bottom. It took about a minute of coaching before he hit. Forgot to measure before putting it down the hole but guessing 26-27"

IMG_0439.jpg

Little bit goes by and Lisa yells that she had one swim right under the ice. I yelled for her to reel up fast and sure enough she caught a real nice eater.

IMG_0447.jpg

Can't wait to get back to Burntside!!!

It was a fun time to say the least. My buddy and roommate will be posting a few more photos to add to the rest. Hope to see many of you at the swap meet if I can get the time off of work!!

Great job everyone! I so wanted to make it to my first bash but I just got back to Minnesota from 5 months down in Mississippi and I needed to get settled back down. Hope to make it up there before the end of the season or next year for the bash!