• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fastest route to Red from the Twin Cities?

Smellson

From Mpls., take I-94 to Hwy 24 (Clearwater) and go North to Clear Lake. Go West on Hwy 10 to Motley....Go East on Hwy 210 briefly across the Crow Wing River and go North on Hwy 64. Go West on Hwy 200 briefly which turns into Hwy 71. Follow Hwy 71 to Hwy 2/Hwy 71 exit. Go west on Hwy 2/Hwy 71 to the Hwy 71 exit and follow 71 to Blackduck and then take Hwy 72 North in Blackduck through Shooks to Upper Red Lake.

Spikeboy is right on with those directions. Very few towns, virtually no slow downs. Roads are good and so is the scenery. I have made LOTW with this route in 4 15mn without throwing in the afterburners. Less traffic than #371 through Brainerd as well. give it a try.

I think I've taken atleast 4 different ways up to red but im not sure which way was the fastest. Whats everyone think?

Depends on where you are in the cities. From the east side it is fast to shoot up 35 to Moose Lake and jog up and over to 2. Then to 46 and so on.

From Mpls., take I-94 to Hwy 24 (Clearwater) and go North to Clear Lake. Go West on Hwy 10 to Motley....Go East on Hwy 210 briefly across the Crow Wing River and go North on Hwy 64. Go West on Hwy 200 briefly which turns into Hwy 71. Follow Hwy 71 to Hwy 2/Hwy 71 exit. Go west on Hwy 2/Hwy 71 to the Hwy 71 exit and follow 71 to Blackduck and then take Hwy 72 North in Blackduck through Shooks to Upper Red Lake.

What shape are the roads in going that way? I was just up 371 this weekend and it is getting pretty bumpy south of hackensack. No fun pulling the house.

roads are good going up through Motley. You have 4 lane all the way to motley and #64 north has been redone in the past 2 years. hwy 200 to 71 is good. 71 is 4 lane to Bemidji access #72. From Bemidji alll the way through Blackduck to keliher is good. glad they re surfaced some of this a few years ago. Its the only way we've gone for the past 6-7 years. Pretty ligh traffic compared to #371

Not to start a debate, but from south of the cites, I prefer the 35 to Moose Lake to Floodwood and through Grand Rapids route.

I'm in St Cloud, so an easy jump onto Hwy 10. If you are in south or ne metro #35 may well be a faster route than coming #94 to St Cloud.

Lol laugh I think asking the shortest route is akin to asking 20 people in the lobby what the bank robber looked like.

Shortest and fastest may NOT be the same. We used to go #10 to Wadena and up #71,etc.....until I checked mileage against #371, #2 to bemidji way.....#371 was 18 miles less mileage. That is my preferance now. Everybody has their own favorite. If they would fix that road East of Cass Lake (#39?) that goes to Blackduck, that would be the shortest way from St. Cloud(Minneapolis may be different). Look at a Mn map and see which way is the staightest path, from point A to point B. It is hard to make up for 18-20 miles extra.

Ah yes...the infamous Pennington cut accross! (the one east of Cass Lake)!

Spent many a trip useing that road over the past 40 years. You should have seen it back then...it was a true goat path, and slipperly as an eel if there was any snow:)

Now that I'm no longer in central MN I end up coming in from GR thru Northhome, but I have fond memories of traversing the cutoff on late night drives:)

Tried the "scenic shortcut" this last summer on the way up to red and they had a good portion of it tore up. Not sure if they ended up redoing the whole distance or not...but she did get slick in the winter. Anyways, I tried the first route suggested and made red in about 4hr 20min with no stops and doing about 5mph over the whole way. That's coming from roseville, so I'm gonna try the grand rapids/35 route on the way home and see what I come up with. Thanks!

Man that scenic Hwy is bull. My fishing partner lives north of cass lake so Im travleing up that road two or three times a week now to fish. Even in nice weather you can't really relax on it. I also use 15 north out of Bemidji most other times. Thats Irvine avenue. It winds up past Buena Vista, past Puposkey and Nebish. It goes up through the east end of the reservation, crosses hwy one, then along the edge of lower red up to the boundry road. If I fish along the south shore, anywhere off the shotley rd Im home, Bemidji, in half an hour to forty minutes.