• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

3 day trip with Bobs out of Warroad

SpitnArgueDuckClub*

Hello All, we just returned from a three day trip with Bob's ice fishing out of Warroad. We used the day house option while staying in Warroad each evening. Bob was kind enough to let us use a 6 man sleeper as our day house and with three boys ages 7, 8 and 10 the extra room was a tremendous bonus, Thank you Bob!!! The fishing was very steady with walleyes averaging 17 inches with 6 slot fish caught in our house. For me the high light of the trip was watching my ten year old son catch a 26 inch walleye and a 36 inch northern pike in the last hour of fishing the second day; the pike effectively ended our second day by wrapping up our 7 other lines that were down at the time.

We were able to eat fish after the first and second day and catch a walleye limit to bring home for each of us the last day. We also experienced tremendous perch fishing, icing 60 some perch; all over 12 inches and most in the 13 to 13.5 inch range. The hot lure was a white glow deamon with an orange top and shiners were the prefered bait. Most of he perch spit up 2 or 3 shiners when landed. Our house was in 24 foot of water but we spoke with guests in houses out to 28 feet and they were doing well also. As you all know the Warroad area has a crack to deal with and the first two days the bomber ride was 17 miles in length (one way) to get us to a safe crossing point. The third day Bob found a shorter route with a safe crossing just 7 miles in length so the hour ride the first two days was reduced to 20 minutes the third. I gotta give a shout out for Bob to anyone looking for a sleeper or day house trip to LOW. Bob was very accomadating offering personal service and his equiptment and fish finding ability is top notch.

C and H Thanks for the report! You probably ended up in the 6 man we were supposed to have last week... We ended up rescheduling due to a family issue that came up with a couple of our guys going up.. Good to hear he is getting out and things are going well, we are going mid February now, so I hope he's still on fish!

Great report, we have 12 of us heading up in mid Feb. with Bob again, we have been going with Bob for 7 years I believe and with Jake before Bob owned it, Bob does a wonderful job and he works very hard for his guests.

Try .... Bobsicefishing.com I have used Bobs for as long as he has had it and a few times when Jake ran it. I have always had Great luck fishing and Service has always been above average.

Barnster is right on the website or you can google "bobs ice fishing lake of the woods" and get to the same site. I think it is worth mentioning that for anyone wanting to take young kids out ice fishing on Lake of the Woods that with Bob kids under 10 fish free.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• JerkinLips
      Earlier this morning it looked like Vermilion froze over last night but now I see open water on the Hibbing Point webcam.  The strong winds must have opened the lake back up.  Tonight the temps drop to single digits and the wind dies down by 5am so it will freeze over tonight.  Expecting 1-2" of snow on Friday with high winds so hopefully the snow will blow off the new ice.  Saturday-Thursday looks very cold with no more snow, so the main lake should get a solid freeze.  Some are ice fishing in Stuntz Bay already, and some braver than I may walk out from McKinley Park this weekend.  I'm going to wait until the end of next week to venture out, although it will be very cold.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end... Ice is forming, but other than some back bays, it isn't ready quite yet.  Mother Nature is on track.  Some resorts are making the prediction of December 10th for day houses being out, give or take, but at this point, this isn't set in stone and time will tell.  There are cold temps in the forecast and things look optimistic.  Many resorts and outfitters have been checking ice conditions.  When the time is right, resorts and outfitters will slowly and safely begin marking and grooming trails for ice travel.    Please remember, ice conditions vary greatly in different parts of the lake.  One ice road can have good ice that has been checked and marked while down the shoreline there may be ice not suitable for travel yet.  Work through resorts and outfitters on the ice and stay on the marked trails for safety. Anticipation is high as the walleye and sauger fishing this fall was good and fish were staged in good numbers along the south shore.   On the Rainy River...   Much of the Rainy River is frozen up.  Things are progressing but it certainly needs cold weather and some time. Ice conditions vary and on the river there is current, so much like the lake, we encourage visitors to work through a resort or outfitter for safety.   Up at the NW Angle... Ice is forming nicely and is right on track for this year's ice fishing season.  There has been no ice fishing yet as resorts are simply monitoring ice conditions at this time, waiting until the ice is thicker before marking trails and getting fish houses out. Fall fishing was excellent with walleyes in good numbers along with some monster pike being caught.  All indications point to good fishing when the ice is ready as the fish are there. Driving through Canada to reach the Angle no longer requires COVID vaccinations or the use of the ArriveCan App (which is optional).   For those looking to access the Angle while avoiding customs, there are few options.   1.  When ice conditions allow, the snowmobile trail will be groomed and staked from the south shore up to the Angle. 2.  The Lake of the Woods Passenger service provides round trip bombardier service across the lake.   3.  Lake Country Air provides air service to both the south end and NW Angle.    
    • Wanderer
    • leech~~
      Was just going to post this!  
    • Wanderer
      At least they can all say they were there early!  
    • SkunkedAgain
      I'm still hoping for a sunny warm-up to melt all of the existing snow off of the existing ice, and then an arctic blast. After that, I'm hoping for a giant walleye to hop out of the lake and filet itself before skinny dipping in some batter and then relaxing in a hot pan of oil in my kitchen.
    • gimruis
      I'm planning to go later this week.  There's fresh snow coming tomorrow too.
    • gimruis
      I would highly recommend not doodling around out there at night time either.  When those cracks form, the piece breaks off from the main sheet or the land and you are then caught "adrift" with no way back.   The bite is not as good as it normally is from what I have read either.  We're so used to hearing that "its on fire" for the early ice bite but that doesn't appear to be the case.
    • leech~~
      Well, a new report for today talked about cracks opening up and ice piling up!  Better check the night before you head up.  😕
    • Harv
      Leech,  that's what I've been reading.  I'm heading up on Friday the 2nd, for the weekend.   Fingers crossed limits are caught

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.