• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How many lines are legal?

fishin9911

Sorry not a st. croix question but this section had the most viewing it. I am going to a cabin in wisconsin and am thinking of setting out some tip ups. How many lines are legal? Thanks

Most people don't know it but if you have a MN license and you are fishing on the Wisconsin side of the St Croix and in Wisconsin territorial waters you can legally fish 3 lines. The St Croix is a border water and you can follow the Border Water regulations on page 48, 2011 Minnesota Fishing Regulations. Regulations states "When Minnesota's fishing regulations differ from a bordering state's regulations, Minnesota residents and persons fishing under a Minnesota nonresident license must comply with the Minnesota regulations and may only exercise the other state's more liberal fishing privileges in the waters of the bordering state."

Just be careful - you have to be in WI territorial waters to fish 3 lines. This is where a good GPS with a Lakemaster chip comes in handy.

Just one more confusing section of the regs.

Here is what it says under the border specific regs for the WI-MN border. No mention of being on the correct side of the river.

full-27123-16582-reg.jpg

He said the cabin was IN Wisconsin, in which case you can use three lines. Otherwise on the St. Croix use 2 lines.

Like I said - most people are not aware of border water regulations. Read page 48 of the 2011 Minnesota Fishing Regulations. You can use 3 lines if you want to - just make sure you are in WI territorial waters. Oh - by the way - you can also use game fish for bait which is legal in Wisconsin. Just make sure you are on the WI side of the river. You learn something new here everyday. To help you understand it this is an e-mail from Alex Gutierrez, MN DNR Conservation Officer clarifying the border waters regulations:

"The law reads, to exercise the more liberal regulations you must be confined to the territorial waters of the more liberal state. Both WI and MN residents need residents licenses from their respective states, any other non-residents (aside from MN and WI) with a non-resident license from either WI or MN will allow them to fish the border waters. So broken down to simpler terms for WI / MN borders, if an angler wants to fish with three lines or any method allowed by WI they have to be in WI territorial waters. Unlike the Mississippi which is defined by a channel and channel markers, the St Croix’s border meanders and is unclear, when in doubt better stick to the east side of the river if you want to exercise WI regulations (more liberal = east side). Unlike Walleye opener on the St Croix, Sturgeon season begins Sept 1st for WI, MN opens Sept 4th. So, if someone wants to fish Sturgeon starting Sept 1st, they must be on the WI side of the river, if they would like to harvest one during that time they need WI Sturgeon tag. Sept 4th through Sept 30th, MN side will be open for Sturgeon fishing and harvesting with a tag. Then “catch and release” from Oct 1st through the 15th.

I hope this suffices your questions, please feel free to contact me with any future questions or concerns.

Thank you

Alex Gutierrez

Conservation Officer

Department of Natural Resources

Division of Enforcement"

Good to know. I would have never guessed.

So its two lines in the summer anywhere? (per the pic above)

2 lines in the winter on MN side?

3 lines in the winter on WI side?

Good to know. I would have never guessed.

So its two lines in the summer anywhere? (per the pic above)

2 lines in the winter on MN side?

3 lines in the winter on WI side?

I know it is easy to get confused with this change. What the MN regulation says is that a MN angler can follow the more liberal Wisconsin fishing regs when fishing on the WI side of the St Croix River. So what you need to become familiar with is the Wisconsin fishing regulations and how those regulations are different or more liberal than MN regulations. In Wisconsin it is legal to fish with 3 lines so if you are a MN licensed angler fishing on the St Croix River you can legally fish 3 lines when you are in WI territorial water.

Here is another example:

Wisconsin regulations state: "It is illegal to use gamefish as bait unless they meet any length restriction for the water body you are fishing and are included in your daily bag limit for that species."

So on the St Croix River what this Wisconsin regulation says is that it is legal to use gamefish for bait as long as that game fish meets any length restrictions for the St Croix and is included in the bag limit for that species. Now I am a catfisherman and this is a big deal to me. According to the MN regs I can now use gamefish for bait as long as I am on the WI side of the river and in WI territorial water and those gamefish meet length restrictions and bag limits.

Not to change the topic but I was checked by the sherrif last summer and gave him my non resident wisconsin license first and he told me I need to also have my license for minnesota which I did. He said you need to have a license from the state you reside in. Is this true or did he not know what he was doing? If you ask me I think the border water regs. need to be better written, they can be confusing..

Not to change the topic but I was checked by the sherrif last summer and gave him my non resident wisconsin license first and he told me I need to also have my license for minnesota which I did. He said you need to have a license from the state you reside in. Is this true or did he not know what he was doing? If you ask me I think the border water regs. need to be better written, they can be confusing..

Like you already said, but add one word.

He said you ONLY need to have a license from the state you reside in.

I discussed this with both the MN and WI DNR while I was on the water last fall. EVERYTHING Dtro said is absolutely correct.

Thanks for the help guys! Sorry about the confusion. I am going to be fishing IN wisconsin. I only wrote here because it had the most people viewing it at the time and I thought I would get a quick answer.

Quote:
I discussed this with both the MN and WI DNR while I was on the water last fall. EVERYTHING Dtro said is absolutely correct.

Sorry. I meant SteveD