• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

is it safe to drive on the ice in metro area

i dont know if its safe or how thick is the ice to be driving on it can some one tell me. Cause i dont see any one driving around.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Desperado

• Beast26

• Dbumb

• mrklean

Then probably not. Even though its been cold the last few days there was so much warm weather the ice has taken a beating. I don't drive until there is a foot of ice. I also drive where i have drilled holes. or I drive and stop and drill holes ahead of me to check ice. have to be safe.

NO! Do not drive in the metro, alot of lakes still have thiner areas, thats why you keep hearing about sleds and wheelers going through, you could be driving in twelve or thirteen inches and then BOOM! you just punched through the four inch spot.

I usually preach about how to drive on ice, but this year, I think i'll only be driving out of resorts.

If you see no one else driving around that should tell you something there! But even if I see someone driving out there I am checking that ice myself, every lake is going to be different, and even different locations on that lake could be drastically different.

you can drive.. If you know how to swim... bring some floats too. I walked out on the lake today and fished for a few hours. some spots out in the middle still at 5-6 inches. my car is staying in the parking lot for awhile.

And don't try driving just because someone else has. Which is worse, the moron or the moron that follows him?

I saw a car on a metro lake last weekend. We were standing on 8 inches of ice a half mile down the shoreline from him, same distance out from shore.

absolutely DEPENDS on WHAT YOU'RE DRIVING

I've been driving completely safely on metro ice for just over six weeks already

But don't go try it just because I said so unless you're driving the same thing that I'm driving.

There was open water on the south side of Halsteads Bay on Tonka yesterday. You could see it from CR 44. Also from the Cook's bay access there was water vapor rising off the ice out to the south in the distance. That means open water out there somewhere.

I'm playing it safe this year since many lakes are not consistant and many lakes had houses go down, which would be thin spots. Everyone gets ansy after a couple days of cold weather, but it isn't that thick out there yet.

Do what's right for you.

They showed a guy driving a Tahoe out onto White Bear on the news last night (Ch 5), right after a different person said the ice was about 8in thick (not including thin spots).

You do the math:

For New, Clear Ice Only

2" or less - STAY OFF

4" - Ice fishing or other activities on foot

5" - Snowmobile or ATV

8" - 12" - Car or small pickup

12" - 15" - Medium truck

With the cold weather, I knew it would only be a matter of time until the yahoo's start driving out w/out checking the ice.

shocked ... and approximately one-third of White Bear Lake is infamous for having inconsistent ice due to springs

before you drive any vehicle on that lake, you ought ta know which area of the lake historically has the most dangerous ice

If you have to ask, then you probably already have some healthy survival instincts. Check with all the resources you can, then go check for yourself firsthand. Things change quickly and no one can check every spot all the time. Go with your gut, but use your head. It's your life, your car and your the only one responsible for your decision. Also give some thought to those who might have to rescue you.

Good luck, have fun and be Safe.

I drove my small car out last night on 11". I know that part of the lake pretty well and I wasn't going very far out from shore. Anytime you drive on a lake your taking a risk though.

I dont think I will be driving on Metro Lakes maybe for the rest of this winter. According to the forecasts, it will warm up to high 30's again.

Wellllll

One week ago someone proved that you couldn't drive a semi truck all the way accross the pond next to the Monticello freeway exit crazy

Wellllll

One week ago someone proved that you couldn't drive a semi truck all the way accross the pond next to the Monticello freeway exit crazy

Ha! That's happened about a mile from where I grew up. I am still trying to figure out how he managed to get it that far into the holding pond.

Beast

Did you grow up on a farm on the north shore of Pelican Lake ?

No but about 1.5 miles from Pelican to the north. I used to drive the fourwheeler from the garage all the way to the lake in the winter.....no sure how legal that was but I was never stopped.

i have a Chevy Colorado small pick up truck. would the ice hold it on lake o'dowd.

Dude, if you have to ask that question it's probably best if you don't drive on the ice. Do yourself and everyone that would have to respond to pull you out a favor and just walk.