• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dog throwing up and seems to be in a lot of pain

waxworm09

I was wondering if anyone has had this issue. Last night my lab/shorthair got up and started whining and threw up. Throughout the night, she threw up between 12-15 times even thought only a very small amount of liquid was coming out each time. Also, every 30 minutes or so she whines very loud for about 5 seconds. I thought for sure she swallowed something she wasnt supposed to, i took her to the vet and they gave her an enema and took x-rays of her stomach, said it didnt look like there was anything in there that needed to be removed, so they gave her a shot of something, i forgot what it was, and said to keep an eye on her overnight. if she doesnt get better we have to drop her off tomorrow morning for surgery so they can cut her open and see if anything is in there. Has anyone else had a problem like this, and what was the issue? The vet doesnt think something is in her intestines, but said there is a chance. It sure seems like that is the problem though. Thanks

I had the same thing happen to my black lab over the summer. He vomited probably twenty times in about an hours time and would not eat his food, which is what told me something was very wrong. I seriously did not think he would make it to the vet. I took him to the vet, they did x-rays and didn't see any blockage. They gave him a shot to block the pain which would allow him to relax his stomach. The vet also gave him an IV to restore the fluids he lost. They kept him overnight and said if he did not get better by the morning they would have to do surgery. The next morning the vet called and said he was eating again and was back to normal like nothing happened. They think it was a virus or a stomach issue that worked itself out.

Almost exact same thing happened to my GWP last Auguast. Threw up a bunch, quit eating. Brought him in once and they took an X-Ray, which revealed nothing but some gas. Next day he perked up a bit, but the following day he totally went downhill. Rushed him back for more x-rays and blood work. The gas expanded his colon a bunch, and his intestines were all expanded, too. Their guess was a bit of cloth or something was in there (which wouldn't get picked up by x-ray). They were right: pulled out two big hunks of sock that had blocked his digestive tract. Just because they didn't see anything on the x-ray, doesn't mean something isn't there. If he isn't better soon, I'd bring him back and have them run more tests. Blockages are serious business...the sooner they are taken care of, the better off both you and your dog will be.

I had this happen with a dog three years ago. Threw up a bunch one day. Then seemed to get a little bit better but would throw up anytime she ate and/or drank anything. I was thinking she had swallowed something and had a blockage. Took her to the vet and she ended up being diagnosed with Lymes.

We brought her in for surgery last week, turns out she had a 2 inch piece of something plastic stuck in her stomach. The vet said since it was chewed and twisted it was stuck in her stomach, she couldnt get rid of it out either end. She was back to normal the day after surgery so we are very happy about that, but we could sure use that $1000 that we had to give to the vet.

We brought her in for surgery last week, turns out she had a 2 inch piece of something plastic stuck in her stomach. The vet said since it was chewed and twisted it was stuck in her stomach, she couldnt get rid of it out either end. She was back to normal the day after surgery so we are very happy about that, but we could sure use that $1000 that we had to give to the vet.

I KNEW it! Glad they found it and she's back to normal. My pup was the same way. Other than the cone of shame, you could hardly tell he'd just had surgery 24 hours prior. His energy came back quick.

Again, I'm glad they fixed her up. And yes, I could have thought of a lot of things to spend that money on, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I had to!

you guys are getting me paranoid! my pup has it going on on the other end, not nearly as severe as you guys are explaining, to a bland diet tonight. I'm pretty sure it was from the beef bone (cooked) i gave him, no more of those...