• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Proposed 'Big Buck' Season

sticknstring

As the 5 weeks of firearm/muzzleloading seasons weren't enough. Now a Brainerd legislator may introducing a bill that would create a special 'big buck' season after the regular firearms season. This would allow rifle/shotgun hunters with unused buck tags to extend their season for deer with 8 or more antler points. I guess the DNR isn't making enough revenue with the current structure, eh? I'm guessing there will be some serious opposition to this bill. Thoughts?

Mostly from our wives! It could have legs, though. I don't think I would vote it up, but I have a feeling lots would.

Wow, I'm all about persisting for a mature buck, I'm also about not hurting the resource, let those lucky bucks be, let them shed a rack, and they'll be the big boys to pursue the next fall, we have enough of a chance. Some unused buck tags will be hunters who "had" someone already tag a buck they got.

All about dollars.

We do not need any more seasons as we have enough now I believe.

The bucks need some break somewhere.

Terrible idea, the deer need a break to get through winter. If they were lucky enough to survive the other 3 seasons, let them live.

I just read about this in the outdoor news, and thought what a stupid idea. Looks like we're all on the same page. One of the reasons this legislater liked the idea was because he thought it would improve quality bucks. I dont see how that works by giving everyone a chance to shoot any buck then adding more time to go after bigger ones.

so whats gonna happen when they cant tell its not a 8 point or better shoot, and find it to be a 7 or smaller? More dead here left to waste, horrible idea

Some won't care that it isn't 8+ so it will be drug into the shed and butchered quietly. Some abuse the tagging the way it is to save their muzzy tag, now they'll be saving it for this event, this is an idea not worth any time thought or effort.

Two thoughts.

First, a "big buck season" wouldn't lead to more illegal behavior or poaching. Law breakers will break the law whenever.

Second, a "big buck season" or "big buck tag" isn't an all-bad idea, IF there were to be an overhaul of the way things are done now. I agree that we don't need an additional season for the purpose of hunting the big bucks that are out there after firearms season as we already have muzzleloader season and bow season that provide an exetended opportunity. However, where I could see this thought process regarding a "big buck season/tag" work is if we saw it implemented as an "all-season" tag for those who are more selective with their tags and are looking to only fill it with a certain sized buck (offered for less than the cost of multiple season tags, and no party hunting/cross tagging) OR if we were to see the traditional early November gun season go to "only big bucks" and then move the regular firearms season back to later in November (either combining, overlapping, or changing the dates of the muzzleloader season) or some similar jockeying of the seasons.

As it stands now, however, I agree this is a bad idea. If you subscribe to the trophy hunter mentality, there is no need for MORE time to hunt the "big bucks", there is a need for LESS small sized bucks to be killed during the existing hunting seasons in order to produce more "big bucks" in future years.

Inthenorth agree with everything except wouldn't lead to more law breaking yes it would, not a lot, but it would and how, as I gun down my 3rd buck of the season 2 by rifle, 1 by muzzleloader now I find a muzzy tag and drill # 4 in this extended big buck season. You won't save that muzzy tag if there is no big buck season. Most of the people I know that break our game laws and unfortunately it's quite a few people, at least circling around the words party hunting or tagging, these are church goers, highly respected in their communities, etc. but when it comes to deer hunting some of these people turn into a different animal. We used to have the all-season tag before and I was a huge fan of it because not everyone could muzzleload, so it opened a few more doors to pursue a large buck, looking back I passed on a few bucks I probably should've taken, ended up skunked, but it just made you scout,scheme,plan more for the next season. My worst harvest seasons were during the all-season years because you tag you're done. My own wish but I wish all forms of deer hunting in MN were done by Dec. 1st I'll say so they can get a break, whats left and not be pressured further so they can add to their fat without dodging us until pitch black, especially in winters where it's a tough beginning.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
As the 5 weeks of firearm/muzzleloading seasons weren't enough.
Good God, give the D@m things a little break to build some weight back to make it through the winter!!!! crazy

Outdoor News also reported that there is a bill to allow people 65+ yrs to bait. It said something about having to remove it 3 days prior to hunting so I didn't get that one. I don't (and HOPE) think that bill will go anywhere.

Raise the prices on all the regular deer licenses if they need to raise money.

Terrible Idea.

Outdoor News also reported that there is a bill to allow people 65+ yrs to bait. It said something about having to remove it 3 days prior to hunting so I didn't get that one. I don't (and HOPE) think that bill will go anywhere.
Great idea! I wonder how many Grandkids will get busted for sitting on Grandpa's stand! crazylaugh

I saw that baiting deal too and completely agree with leech. I'm proud to hunt in a bait-free state, don't open the door to any regulation. It will just keep opening until we're no different than surrounding baiting states. I hope both these proposed bills die before they have legs to stand on.

I could put up with a license fee increase if it kept bogus bills from being proposed. Increase the price of bonus tags $5. Extra revenue for the DNR and people might think twice before shooting their 2nd or 3rd deer. Maybe a good thing considering the current deer population.

In the open farm land I hunt the last weekend of muzzie I watched a 2 and 1/2 trying to run some does but he was so exahasted he'd have to lay down every five minutes or so. Had there been this season the trophy road hunters could have run him to death. give me a break. or should i say give them a break

Terrible idea, the deer need a break to get through winter. If they were lucky enough to survive the other 3 seasons, let them live.

Totally agree!

Hey maybe by the time I am 65 I will be able to shoot out of my truck window!

That would by nice! laugh

i'm not surprised by any of this. the door has been opened for the legislators to muddle with the dnr's business one too many times.

the way people complained about deer hunting last year, i'm betting we'll see more bills like these soon.

So all of you guys saying it's a stupid Idea would watch football all weekend if this were to get passed? I highly doubt that. Not saying I agree with it, I just know what everyone would be doing.

I am already out muzzle hunting just saying a scoped up slug gun with 5 shots and no crops or cover seeing that almost all of grassland is being taken out. These deer even the trophy 1 and 1/2 year old 8 point will not stand a chance.

Quote:
Not saying I agree with it, I just know what everyone would be doing.

I disagree with that. It would be a much smaller group doing it.

For me, after opening day of rifle, we are lucky to see a few deer the rest of the season.

I for one dont think I would do it, as I already spend enough days in the woods watching squirrels after the guns are broken out.

I can break out my bow if I feel the need for more hours on stand watching squirrels in late season. laugh

..create a special 'big buck' season after the regular firearms season. This would allow rifle/shotgun hunters with unused buck tags to extend their season for deer with 8 or more antler points...

Let's throw some more possible details at this as see how it looks- Call it 4 points to a side, not 8 points or better for starters. Than lets add days, an extra week in zone 2. That's it, so it lines up with zone 1's dates.

Might it get more people to pass up on small bucks during regular season?

At first I thought it was a terrible idea. Now maybe not the worst that I've heard, but still, no-thanks.

before we need a so called trophy buck season, we need to grow some trophy bucks first. labeling a tag as a trophy buck tag dosen't make trophy bucks just appear out of thin air, the people around brainerd need to vote that moron out what other kind of rediculous stuff does he come up with, not to mention MDHA is considering supporting it but they are against zone 3 trying to get an older age class of bucks! they need to go to.

Anyone have a link to the article?

This is the senator "supposedly" with the idea.

Senator Paul E. Gazelka