• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tetonka or Francis got any vehicles on them yet? Getting eager to pull the wheel house out for a maiden voyage but its no submarine! Wheres the good ice at?

They shouldn't have been there, but Tetonka had a few full size pickups and wheelhouses on last Sunday when we were there for the GTG. It'll probably be swarming with them by this weekend.

I was on Madison yesterday and there were a few cars driving out and even a couple of full size trucks with wheel houses! I dont think I would be driving out there quite yet, but I guess I value my truck a little more than some people......I have experienced my truck going through the ice - not fun or cheap! I will wait for a while yet.....the exercise is good anyways. wink

ya theres trucks on tetonka on 9" of ice. i measured 7" on sakata yesterday. mine will stay at the access for a while yet.

I will stay with my wheeler as there is not enough ice for my truck with 2-3 days of colder temps.

I have seen many on the ice with vechiles last weekend but not for me. 8" is not enough to feel safe for me by any means.

TeTonka last week had a few open locations and I am sure they are not safe for a truck. Many lakes have had open water in the last week or so and those spots maybe 4 inches at the max right now.

I bet I'm not the only one smiling this morning when I saw -9 for the temp... I can about hear the lakes makin ice from here!

When I think of some of the times in my younger days when I was on the ice with my truck I thank the good Lord that I did not go down. If someone wants to drive now that is fine, I will walk behind them, a long, long way behind them.

I got no problem walking out there so you won't see me with mine on the ice for a while

X2 until we get a good snow, I have no issue walking out! and after that ive lined up a sled to use the rest of the year. I doubt I will risk my car on the ice at all this year!

I don't think snow is really the answer. Snow = Insulation for the ice which = warming the water. No snow, no wind, and cold temps will make that ice but unfortunately thats not in the forecast.

I don't think snow is really the answer. Snow = Insulation for the ice which = warming the water. No snow, no wind, and cold temps will make that ice but unfortunately thats not in the forecast.

Sorry to clarify, i meant i will walk until snow makes it to hard to walk.....my bad lol

Yeah I am holding off for a while yet too.....might be good by this Sun or Monday in some spots, the wuestion is where is that, not really worth the risk until you know it is safe (although it may never be safe this year everywhere....Love the game of Monkey See Monkey do though.....hope everyone stays safe!

just check the conditions and do what makes you feel comfortable. i drove out yesterday but i drilled holes and the way out and found 12" everywhere i drilled and have stayed on the same path the entire time and have not went out very far. its nothing new everyone is aware vehicles can fall through the ice so everyone should just do what they think is best worry about what there doing and not be so quick to call everyone an [PoorWordUsage] if they dont have all the facts.

I drove out today on 12", but we walked out this morning checking the ice, and we were only 100 yards out on a small lake we know very well.

Have a buddy with a bum knee that hasn't been able to get out all year, so it was nice to get him out there in the wheelhouse.

French looked like I 35W. I was out for early this morning and from 7:30 till we left around 10:00 there was wheelers, houses and vehicles on the move. Only 13"...they're brave souls whoever had the surburban out there IMO

In these forums just today, I have read about 2 other vechiles that went through.

Why would anyone take this chance with all the poor ice we have had and lakes with open areas?

I am sorry but I cannot believe the stupid things people will do to go fishing to save a few steps. Someone will die soon.

The cars and small truck easing there way on to the lake are not as bad as the full size trucks racing across the ice at 45 MPH! That really burns my @$$ mad

When ice conditions are poor or suspect it is best to spend time on the ice on foot before you drive out. Don't watch the news, don't check the internet and don't follow a vehicle. Drill a hole.

The news media does a good job of keeping most of the lazy fishermen and idiots off the area lakes when ice is marginal but not all of them. People drive on thin ice all the time. Does that make them daring or dumb?

It baffles me why people would go to a web site and ask if ice is safe to drive on or drive out simply because someone else did.

Drill a hole and check. DUH ! Still not sure measure five feet and drill another hole.

I swear if a bait shop offered a drive thru window they would prosper because the average 'sportsman' is LAZY. They do not want to get out of the truck or off the wheeler unless they know it is five short steps to a heated shelter.

People constantly put comfort over safety.

If I offend you then take a lesson.

I know sometimes people can get ticketed for driving on potentially unsafe ice or putting others in danger. My dads cousin a few years ago drove his car on ice that he had no business driving on and drove directly at a group of anglers who had walked out on the ice. They all scattered and one of them took down his license number and called it in. He got a spendy ticket of $200+ for his actions. I would believe somebody driving a full size SUV with the ice conditions we have this year at 45+mph or whipping donuts with other anglers in the area would also fall into this category. With all the technology out there somebody could easily make a video of what they are doing and turn them in. That might make them think about it before they actually made a very foolish choice that could end up getting themselves or somebody else hurt.

what other lake other than francis has a vehicle fell through?

Just yesterday, a truck fell through on Bufflao NW of the metro.

Then a car, on Lake Riley by Eden prairie.

I also read of a 4 wheeler that went through but forget which lake.

Like the OP posted, who is daring to drive on the ice? I guess somelike to temp fate.

Thats why I like to walk. Its needed exercise anyway. Whats it cost to get a vehicle out of a lake anyway. I bet that adds to the cost of a trip.

Simple1

The cars and small truck easing there way on to the lake are not as bad as the full size trucks racing across the ice at 45 MPH! That really burns my @$$ mad

But they sink just as far and can die just like in a full size truck.

Maybe a smaller truck can make it but does one really want to test fate when you add a bit more weight? That smaller car or truck does weigh more than a 4 wheeler and one of those went through yesterday also.

I do not want to sound like I am calling anyone out but come on guys, the ice is NOT safe.

We have also had alot of wind with these cool temps and the bad spots I am sure are still bad.

Harvey,

There is no way I am driving out on the ice now. I was on Washington the other day and there were quite a few vehicles on 11 - 12" of ice. When the vehicles that drove by real slow the ice hardly cracked at all. Seen several guys going well over 30 MPH including a four wheeler pulling a wheel house and it sounded like a thunderstorm during an earthquake! When they are going that fast I believe it would be impossible to check ice conditions. All they are doing is wrecking the ice for everybody else. Sure would be nice if we could have a 10 MPH speed limit on the ice.