• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New Muzzleloader Q

TruthWalleyes

I gave my muzzleloader away for christmas to a teenager (my hunting buddy's younger brother) to force myself to buy a new one during the off season.

I'm having a terrible time deciding on what to get, and frankly am not impressed with what i've seen.

Money is really no object - i'd like to get a great gun, in .45 caliber, detachable scope and add peep site. I also want a 28" barrel.

What would you buy?

Thanks

Since money is no object, may I suggest that after you get the latest greatest model with all the bells and whistles (probably a thompson center), go out and pick up a Lyman Great Plains rifle in .50 or .54 cal (I prefer 54 cal). Know more than one guy who has done this, looking for that extra challenge and getting a taste of history. And they are just fun to shoot!! Pull it out when friends or relatives are around and let them try the old style muzzleloader and even non hunters/non shooters are usually interested. Put in a real light load and close target and let them give it a try. Great way to promote hunting/shooting to those who don't. Also looks way better on the wall than the T/C grin

Have fun with the new toy(s)!!!!!!

lakevet

This one don't look too bad.

It's .50cal though, but maybe they offer a .45cal. I wonder would it be better to have TC install a quick disconnect scope mount and new front site or have a gun shop do that work?

Any thoughts?

full-26433-16724-silo_745_omega_8913.png

I think you would be really happy with that rifle, I can shoot 1.5" groups at 150 yards with mine without a scope.

This one don't look too bad.

It's .50cal though, but maybe they offer a .45cal. I wonder would it be better to have TC install a quick disconnect scope mount and new front site or have a gun shop do that work?

Any thoughts?

full-26433-16724-silo_745_omega_8913.png

Nice looking gun I would probably have a gunsmith rig it up they way you want it .

What kinda scope you looking at?

I haven't decided on a scope, and am really clueless as when it comes to scopes...I know i don't want the typical muzzy scopes they sell with the yardage drops, just a good scope that will hold its zero over the years; one that can hold up in all weather conditions, etc. Any suggestions guys? It looks like I can't buy directly from TC anyway, so i would have a gunsmith shop order and modify. I also want to put a good peep site on there as well for actual muzzle season, and the scope will be for slug season.

It is a piece of cake to order some Warne Quick Disconnect bases and rings and do it yourself. A cave man can do it.

Based on where they've got their cheap crappo sites, i am not sure if the barrel is tapped for a scope mount. Will have to see.

Front site will be discarded as well for a standard straight post.

Any scope recommendations?

I'm not necessarily set on this TC yet, are there other brands that i should consider in my search as well?

More of a curiosity question than anything else, but what is the reason for going with a .45 rather than a .50? As far as rifle brands go, really hard to go wrong with anything from T/C...

Why go to a .45? Better ballistics.

The only thing i have against TC is the cheapo stocks with the rubber inserts.

Look real close at the knight rifle ignition system I know the ones I have looked at in the past they didnt seem to be all that great I meen had to take extra steps in order to get it ready to fire and its the little things like that is what makes or breaks a gun for me.

From what I understand it will me mid to late spring before the Knight rifles will be offered in .45 caliber. The new Knight's offer an ignition system that does not use those full plastic jackets that a lot of people dislike. If I were looking for a modern sabot shooting muzzleloader that is bh209 friendly, I would look hard at the Knight's. The t/c omega is also an excellent gun and works well with the bh209 and other substitute powders.

I have two .45 muzzleloaders and you are correct about them being ballistically superior. Mine have fast twist (1 in 20) barrels and really shine shooting heavy conicals. The problem with the 45's is that you are really limited in what projectiles you will find "on the shelf". Online their are many options availiable.

I have both a .45 and a .50. I prefer the .50, both are T/Cs and are nice guns. I understand the ballistic part of the argument, but keep in mind that if you ever plan on hunting out of state for bigger game like elk, that a lot of states require a minimum of a .50 caliber to be able to hunt. I shoot a sabot through both. Through the .45, I shoot a jacketed 130 grain, .40 cal pistol bullet. Through the .50, I shoot a 245 grain shockwave. I feel that the extra speed generated through the .45 doesn't outdo the knockdown of the .50. To me, it is about like comparing a .243 to a .30-06. Both kill deer, both are decent rounds, but the slight ballistic advantage of the .243 doesn't outweigh the knockdown of the .06.

Look real close at the knight rifle ignition system I know the ones I have looked at in the past they didnt seem to be all that great I meen had to take extra steps in order to get it ready to fire and its the little things like that is what makes or breaks a gun for me.

This gun in the above picture says it uses 209 primers and a full plastic jacket. Plastic jacket is pictured below. Is this plastic jacket the extra steps that your talking about. This is new to me. Is there any other extra steps besides putting a primer in a plastic jacket and putting that assembly in the gun, and couldn't a guy keep a few extra plastic jackets loaded with a primer for a faster reload?

Expand if you would gordie.

full-26433-17006-m901104_full_plastic_ja

I also want to put a good peep site on there as well for actual muzzle season,

Williams gunsights are the way to go when you look for open sights to put on it.

lakevet

A friend of mine had one and He didnt llike it for that reason alone and he had problems with getting the old primer out of the plastic after it was discharged.

I thought that they were a bit bulky to carry a few around in your pockets.

and it one more component that you have to have.

I like simplicity when it comes to the in-lines and not haveing to worry about one extra thing is enough for me to not want one.

after I handled that TC I showed you I'm sold on that gun or one like it and I think I would only go with the wood stock its much more like furniture rather than a pastic chair if you know what I mean.

Also with the gun you have pictured try and put those things in the action on a cold day with gloves on and then if you got a scope on it even that much harder..

Williams are what i had on my previous gun, and i will stay with williams - they are a good sight.

Gordie,

I see what you mean now, especially when using a scope. I see not all their models require that plastic dingy (Which they claim makes it easier, apparently not laugh )

I'm going to be getting one of these Knight Rifles, unsure on the model yet, but Wood Stock, Stainless Barrel, and i'll avoid the plastic primer holder.

Appreciate the information guys. I think we can close this topic!

Gordie, go buy that TC!

Thanks again.

Gordie, go buy that TC!

Thanks again.

I hope to and maybe we could light them up this summer after that boat ride wink

It was suggested to check out "Ultimate Muzzleloaders"...One of those would require saving some $$, but they look like the best in the market. Check them out if your looking to drool.

Also with the gun you have pictured try and put those things in the action on a cold day with gloves on and then if you got a scope on it even that much harder..

It is much, much easier to load the 209's encased in the full plastic jackets than it is load bare primers. I do prefer the bare primers, but for other reasons. The new Knight line is availiable with an ignition system that uses the plastic jackets or with an ignition that doesn't so

whether you like them or not,it is a non factor in making your decision.

The T/C is also a fine gun.

The ultimate is a great gun but I can't see spending that much $$$$.

Another fantastic muzzleloader is the NULA, if I was made out of money I would get one.