• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Flasher Shoot-Out Cancelled

leech~~

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Posted on the Ice fishing Thread as well.

ROLE CALL

Meet Sat Jan 21st at 12:00 Noon at Appledorn's Resort on Mill Lacs at the landing.The best Flasher argument has gone on forever and it's time to put all the theories to the test.

We will meet to do some fishing, grill some dogs, pop some pops and test every unit that shows up under the same testing process in the same hole. We need to have someone with each type of unit there to be fair.

I have an FL-18, Huum ice 55, X67c and a cam. We will need some one with the other units. Lx-5, Ice Showdown Troller others.

The three main things we will be testing are unit performance for Bottom separation, Target separation and Target ID. Which seem to be the three main points of discussion on every Flasher thread.

Please post if you can make it and what flasher you can bring.

It's starting to appear that we actually all like to have something to argue about as there is a lot of talk on this subject but not much action when it comes down to it. This GTG may not be worth the time? confused

sounds like a fun time. Will not be able to make it but would love to see each unit go head to head. his GTG could go sour real fast when someones fav. unit get out performed.

don't know where the other post went. as i said in that post, i will be at work and can't make it, so here is my question, can fish size be determened on a flasher??? i would like to see somebody call the size of a mark, within a pound or so, before the mark hits the jig, not after. just by seeing the mark on the flasher. granted my fl-8 is older, but even on newer units that i have used, my jig looks the same as a mark coming off of the bottom, regardless of the size of that mark. a good test would be sink some 2x4's of different lengths, 1 foot long, 2 foot long and 3 foot long suspended horizontally at 1, 2 or 3 feet off of the bottom and see if people can guess which one is which.

don't know where the other post went. as i said in that post, i will be at work and can't make it, so here is my question, can fish size be determened on a flasher??? i would like to see somebody call the size of a mark, within a pound or so, before the mark hits the jig, not after. just by seeing the mark on the flasher. granted my fl-8 is older, but even on newer units that i have used, my jig looks the same as a mark coming off of the bottom, regardless of the size of that mark. a good test would be sink some 2x4's of different lengths, 1 foot long, 2 foot long and 3 foot long suspended horizontally at 1, 2 or 3 feet off of the bottom and see if people can guess which one is which.
I have never used a flasher that I could say read the size of fish? It seems to me the the bar lights up brighter as the fish gets closer to the lure but I have never been able to say wow look how big that one is by looking at the bar brightness? confused

so here is my question, can fish size be determened on a flasher??? i would like to see somebody call the size of a mark, within a pound or so, before the mark hits the jig, not after. just by seeing the mark on the flasher.

This is super easy. I often say here's another little dink before a pesky fish mindlessly attacks my bait while fishing up on LOW.. 95% of the time I'm spot on, it's a little dink well within a pound of my estimate of nothing.. wink

With an LX-5 it's very easy for me to tell if it's a small or big fish, either a small green/yellow line with a sliver of red for smaller fish or bigger fish show up as a much wider line with yellow on the outsides and solid red in the middle.

I'll be up there Saturday but won't be partaking in the GTG..unless you come setup by me grin

This is super easy. I often say here's another little dink before a pesky fish mindlessly attacks my bait while fishing up on LOW.. 95% of the time I'm spot on, it's a little dink well within a pound of my estimate of nothing.. wink

Lol that is easy on LOW because 95% of the time, most of them are little dinks! laugh

a good test would be sink some 2x4's of different lengths, 1 foot long, 2 foot long and 3 foot long suspended horizontally at 1, 2 or 3 feet off of the bottom and see if people can guess which one is which.

How about a Zercom Clearwater Classic? I have had it for 10+ years & still going strong. I was planning on Saturday anyway, just not sure what time I will get there. Depends when my truck will be ready.

Would really like to be there for that.

Was up at Appeldoorns last week and I can't make it 2 weeks in a row. frown

I would be more than happy to see my FL-8 in comparison to others.

I'll be at the lake Saturday, hopefully setting up the house. If I have the time I'll come down at noon. I have a Marcum VX-1. I like the machine but would like to see what I may have been missing when compaired to some more expensive ones.

You bet it can be. It is made even easier with the ICE 55 in the 6 color mode. If I only see 3 to 4 colors it is a small fish. If i see all 6 that it is woth my time. If i see all 6 with a nice thick red in the center than that is really a fish i want to get after. It is one of the greatest adv. of having a 6 color flasher, you really get more detail.