• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Jim Uran

Truck fell through on Cormorant

Jim Uran

Via - Valley News Live website

A pickup went through the ice Monday evening in Becker County. In a news release, Sheriff Tim Gordon said a Moorhead man called and said the front end of his rented pickup fell through Big Cormorant Lake southwest of Detroit Lakes. The dispatcher told the man, Mark Alan Brossart, and a passenger, Jason James Cihak, to leave the vehicle and walk to the West Public Access near County Road 5.

While emergency crews were taking photographs of the incident, the Cihak returned to the area. The man broke through the ice and fell into water. He was able to get back onto the ice with help from the deputy. He was treated by an ambulance crew.

The public access is temporarily closed on Cormorant Lake. Gordon advises no motor vehicle traffic on all county lakes.

SJMyers32

I just saw the newsflash, it looks like they tried to cross the pressure ridge heading into viking bay!

SJMyers32

I was wrong, different pressure ridge

auggie78

I am never one to be leery on driving on the ice but this year I am. All the warm weather and the freeze thaw cycles had to have taken a toll on the ice. This could be a freak thing with the pressure ridge and have nothing to do with the warmer than average weather we have had but still makes a guy think.

MNfan

Must be more then a freak thing or would the sheriff department close all access's?

I too am pretty brave on ice but this year is scary!!

Jim Uran

I think the media has something to do with it honestly, if the Sheriffs Office didn't take this huge step towards safety and someone else fell through, they would get creamed by the media.

muskymaniac4ever

oh for sure the media has a lot to do with it, every year there is someone falling through the ice so you have to hear Thin Ice Stories every year, then with the warmer than you normal dec/jan weather (till the past couple days) adds even more stories about it and a lot of houses falling through the ice didn't help, Hell a couple weeks ago i was talking to a co-worker about how i did ice fishing that weekend and he said gssshhh you are ice fishing with this 50 degree weather not to safe is it? REALLY? there's a foot of ice you can walk pretty much anywhere he just here's the stories on the news which i don't mind, it just means less people on the ice.

chubby_darter

From what I was told by bud at buds bait shop in lake park was those guys were drunk and tried to go around the ice ridge in front if the west access. Si I feel like it was their own faults. I think every lake in the area has safe enough ice to drive on if you know what your doing. I was out on Mellisa couple days ago and there was 15 inches of good solid ice.

Jim Uran

Welcome to the site chubby darter!

motley man

If you fall thru the ice it's always your fault. Be Aware & Safe out there this year, it's not a good year for ice and all the lakes have bad areas. Only 12" of ice on a lake I fish, that never has ice ridges or breaks. This year it has 2 or 3. All these small ridges are going to get covered by the snow so be sure where your at. Still have not gotten my permanent house out because of bad ice conditions. Just not worth my life or others to risk it to catch fish.