• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
AnglinRaaferty

What fish finder do you recommend?

AnglinRaaferty

I'm in the market for a flasher and figured what better place to get recommendations/feedback than on this forum! I'm not looking to spend more than $300, and am pondering the following:

Humminbird ICE 35 Ice Flasher

MarCum Technologies VX-1 Pro 3-Color Sonar Ice System

Vexilar FL-8se Genz Pack

Anybody who has any experience with any of these want to make their pitch? Any other flashers you'd recommend that aren't on my list?

I'd buy a used one from you too if you had a spare you're trying to dump. smile

fish_eat_sleep

Marcum or bird, probably marcum. owned a vx-1p and it was great for the money. you can't beat some of the sale prices i have seen on those recently either. thought i saw one for $249 at the store.

Eric_Kruger

For features vs price... the marcum is going to be the best.

smokindao

I personally had an older VX-1 and have used a FL-8. I found the VX-1 to be a little better and you can't beat the zoom feature. Great when you are fishing in the weeds. I would go with the VX-1 but if you can chalk up a little more money get the LX-3tc. In deeper waters you will be glad you went with the LX-3tc. $100 more is worth the upgrade.

tip_upclyma

The VX-1 is dogballs compared to the vexilar FL8.....sure you get bottom zoom with that Marcum....but it is laggy, and in deeper water the interference is brutally bad. I can't speak for the Hummingbird since I have never used one......Fleet Farm is selling Vexilar FL-18s with the Genz Blue Box foe $340....and if you spend $350, they give you a $50 gift card.......TRUST ME, spend the extra cash to buy a FL-18....BEST FLASHER EVER MADE...HANDS DOWN (and I am NOT getting sponsered to say that...unlike several people that will advise you)

ndshafer

Well i can speak for the H-bird, I have the Ice 55, but only because I am color blind and it makes it easier for me to see. I have never had any problems with the H-bird. they zoom as well. The other question that you should ask yourself is, when i am fishing with bubbies what are they going to be using? you have to remeber about noise interferance that is the biggest deal. my buddy has a vex and him and i can fish right next to each other and no problems. And other that i fish with have H-birds and we just have to change our noise levels to different frequencies. I myself woudl go with a H-bird or a vex if i had to go buy another one.

hunterjoe

The VX-1 is dogballs compared to the vexilar FL8.....sure you get bottom zoom with that Marcum....but it is laggy, and in deeper water the interference is brutally bad. I can't speak for the Hummingbird since I have never used one......Fleet Farm is selling Vexilar FL-18s with the Genz Blue Box foe $340....and if you spend $350, they give you a $50 gift card.......TRUST ME, spend the extra cash to buy a FL-18....BEST FLASHER EVER MADE...HANDS DOWN (and I am NOT getting sponsered to say that...unlike several people that will advise you)

I agree with the FL-18 comment. I haven't used a Marcum, but have used an HB. My Vex was much better IMO than the HB (Think it was a 35). Also, the HB right out of the box sounded like a diesel truck running. It was very loud for some reason. As for longevity, I know people who have much older FL-18s and still work great with no issues.

Mr Special

I used to have an FL8-SLT, but tried the VX-1 when they 1st came out and nvr looked back. The zoom feature is really nice and have nvr had a problem fishing deeper water or interference with our flashers. Just last wkend my bud was running his FL-20 in the same portable w/o any problems.

I personally think they're all great units, so its a pretty tough choice. i believe you'll be happy with any of them

fridron

I replaced my fl-8 with an H-bird 45 and other than getting used to the changes am completely satisfied. The big difference IMO is getting fl-18 uses at fl-8 prices and the zoom is movable not just locked to the bottom. As for noise, this 45 is waaaay quieter than the 8 or 18.

EMAGDNIM

I have the Humminbird ICE-45 and i tell you its phenomenal ive caught sooo many more fish in the last month than all last season with my FL-8 that i had.

AnglinRaaferty

It seems kind of like a Chevy or Ford argument... everyone has their preference and different experience with each model. Thanks for all the comments!

ndshafer

the only other thing that i can say is, where do you go fishing, if you go way up north and for some god aweful reason something happens to your equiptment would you be able to find your parts where you go. i am not saying that you can;t find them all or pushing you one way or another. but just thinking realitically and trying to help a buddy out.

guitarcher

My son just bought the Lowrance x67c Ice machine from Reeds for $249. Very nice versatile unit. Used it on Mille Lacs last weekend and he loved it. Check out the videos on youtube. Good Luck with your choice.

ThunderLund78

Sorry to stray off the three models originally listed, but what are the opinions/reviews on the Marcum Showdown? Anyone tried one of these units