• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Couple Minnesota Grays!

Grayfox

Mitch and I took off the last week or so to do a little fishing and get a few things done around the house but decided to drag the guns and caller out this morning to try our luck. We've been saving some of our Minnesota spots for after the 1st and broke a few in this morning. We called in a male at the first spot and Mitch dropped it. Had the female come in a couple minutes later but she stayed a little out of range and Mitch kept his finger off the trigger. We tried three more with nothing showing. Heard a couple packs of coyotes in the distance and marked them down for future reference and decided on one last one for the night.

We set up in some thick stuff with Mitch near the caller and me downwind 30 yards. I let the caller play for 15 minutes or so while varying the volume when I see him hit his light and see the fox. He shoot and it tips over. It came in pretty close and fast and he hit it pretty hard but down none the less. #8 and 9 for him this year. We've tied our best year with this mornings take and are at 23 for the year with plenty of time to break the our record.

Rob

1-16-2012Mits89Grays002.jpg

1-16-2012Mits89Grays005.jpg

Good work! My Hunting partner finally saw a coyote out and about today... We hunted pretty hard last week and weekend, without any luck at all... so maybe they will start moving in our area sometime soon.

Nice gray fox. I'll be snaring a property with a decent gray fox population as soon as I get back from Wyoming next weekend.

Hey Grayfox. I have a FoxPro Scorpion coming in the mail and has 100 pre recorded calls. What calls do you use the most and you said you played it for 15 min, What call did you play continous?. I live in S.W. minn and just wanted to do some day and nite calling. Do you use different calls at nite than during the day? Thanks...

Randy,

Honestly, I don't think it would matter a whole lot which sound I used for the grays but I typically use mostly bird distress sounds,woodpecker,bluejay and nuthatch. Mostly because anybody running around usually uses the old die hard rabbit distress and I want to use something they're probably not hearing on a regular basis.

Rob

Rob what choke you run in your shotgun I finally got my gun put together and I'm using my turkey gun with a extra full choke and thinkingnthat will work out good with the buck shot.

Hey Gordie.

I've been using my extra full turkey choke in mine and it patterns pretty good out to 45 yards or so. You been out yet?

Rob

No just got the lightr on the gun I'm gonna try this weekend might have to pick up a electronic call yet. I have a mouth call but its for yotes and I was looking at a few different decoys also and thanks