• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Spearing GetToGator February. 25th--Lake Minnewaska

bassNspear

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Archerysniper

• MJ1657

• Gordie

• mrklean

fishadb,We normally have some kind of lunch on the ice potluck style and talk for a bit and back to the shacks till the award cerimony where they will present me with the Nord Lord trophie grin.

What are the lunch plans? I will grab my normal goodies and we should probably try and pick a general meeting spot.

Got out a few times this on Waska over the past few days...really a lot of pike, so you guys should be happy! Broke several lines...we did have light line however since it was set up for walleyes more than gators. Didn't see any really big ones with most in the 2 to 4 lb range...but it was about every 5 to 10 minutes another one was on the camera chasing the panfish away. Stop by the store and I can give you some spots to set up at. It will be interesting to see what you have for reports afterwards.

Fish On!

If mj is bringing the cooker ill bring venie brats cheddar, wild rice, and bacon wild rice then mustard, ketchup if someone brings buns

till the award cerimony where they will present me with the Nord Lord trophie grin.

Your a funny guy you know if I go Its coming home with me. I am the true Nord Lord and I fear NO Pike laugh

Your a funny guy you know if I go Its coming home with me. I am the true Nord Lord and I fear NO Pike laugh

That's because your slimy,smelly and think like a pike grin

Got out a few times this on Waska over the past few days...really a lot of pike, so you guys should be happy! Broke several lines...we did have light line however since it was set up for walleyes more than gators. Didn't see any really big ones with most in the 2 to 4 lb range...but it was about every 5 to 10 minutes another one was on the camera chasing the panfish away. Stop by the store and I can give you some spots to set up at. It will be interesting to see what you have for reports afterwards.

Fish On!

That would be great if you gave us some tips. What landing do you suggest we go out from?

Are we doing prizes this time? I would donate a decoy for one if we need. Any tips on a cheap place to stay on or near the lake Landdr? Rengel and I will probably be heading up on friday

The Lakeside landing has been the one I have been using but I have also used the DNR landing. Ice pushes up at the Lakeside landing occasionally but the City knocks it back down when needed. Landings can change daily of course so we will have to take a look Friday for you to give you more up to date reports.

There are MANY good spots for spearing on Waska...and a VERY healthy pike population. There are some big pike in the lake but there are a lot more in the 2 to 4 lb range right now...and they are hungry by the amount of snapped lines I have had. If you get any pike with small red hooks in them...that would be mine. smile

Weather is supposed to cool off into the 20s towards the weekend so that should firm the accesses and ice up which will be good. Got some slushy snow last night so it is a little messy now...but workable.

I usually have a good stock of live spearing decoys on hand but let me know if you are going to need more than I expect to make sure we don't run short...10, 12, 24? more?

Fish On!

i would guess that your going to need a healthy amount of them on hand for hte people thatare coming up for this!

Seen A LOT of gators on the camera today. Most of them had fat bellies but were cruzing and harassing the panfish. They would come take a look at my sucker but would then move on looking for sunfish. I did have one hit my sucker and took the sucker off without even the bobber going down. Dang thing!

I seen a couple really nice sized fish also that might have been in the 6 to 8 lb range...big fat bellies on them.

Anyone excited?

Lakeside landing has heaved some but I asked the City to take the loader down and level it up. If not, I may bring my tractor in to do some maintenance. One way or another we will get'r fixed up for the weekend.

Fish On!

Pretty sure my son and I will make it just need to know where and what time I have a dump load of venison brats and wieners so I can bring some also I also have a little grill that runs off of 1 pound propane I also have goose sticks and pepperjack venison sticks

Thank you again Landdr for the info and checking the access. I know I will swing in and get my suckers from you we normally get 2 a person and we have 4 going. How big are the decoy suckers that you have?

Anyone else going to swing in their and get bait,it would be nice to drop our $$$$ there. I would hate however for him to get a bunch of decoy sucker and have him getting stuck with them on the last weekend of season.

I agree with Archery Sniper landdr has been a great resource for getting this going.

Where is lakeside landing and where does a guy need to go from there?

I imagine people will be getting there at different times so if we could get a general area we could all meet up and be in the same general area.

I'll be coming up Saturday morning. My number is seven 6 thre seven 44 eight 7 one 8.

Thanks again Landdr.

Landdr is a stand up guy and runs a great store. The few times I fished waska last year he really helped point us to the fish.

Thanks for all your help landdr hope I can make it up if not I'll see for some late season pannies.

Thanks guys...appreciate the comments. I like to fish just as much as the rest of you and enjoy helping get people out to enjoy the outdoors...especially the kids. In fact...my 9 yr old would love to spear for for awhile if anyone wanted to show him the ropes. He is a big 9 yr old at 5 ft 3 already so I think he can handle a spear just fine. One of the better spots to spear is not far from one of my house rentals so he would be around anyway. He has been begging me to take him spearing but I don't have a spear and have only speared once. It was when I was about 12 when my dad tied a wooden decoy on, jerked it a couple times to show me how it was done...and then left me there as he had some errands to run. As I watched him drive away, I jerked the line once and the decoy came untied. I watched the decoy circle and land on the bottom...with no other decoy in the house, I sat there an hour until my dad came back. Needless to say, that was my first and last spearing I ever did. smile

Lakeside landing is about 3 blocks from the bait shop. I will have some maps of the lake set out for you guys with a few of the better spots marked for spearing and the accesses. There are literally pike all over the lake so there is 7,100 acres to spear in.

Our sucker decoys are around 10 to 12 inches in size. If someone wants something bigger, let me know and I will see what I can do to accommodate you. We have some smaller suckers as well if that is what you prefer. They are really good looking suckers...as far as a sucker is concerned.

The pike in Waska are feeding heavy on small sunfish. If you can get on a heavy weedline with small sunnies, then you should have a lot of action. There are several of these spots on Waska and I will give you a map with general directions. I highly recommend bringing a camera and drilling some holes until you find that spot. If you are 20 or 30 feet off, it can make a HUGE difference. I compare it to being on the edge of a woods for deer hunting...in the woods you won't see much, out in the field you won't see them, but right on the edge is where you want to be.

Fish On!

Thanks alot Landdr. I am bringing a 9 year old boy with me. He will be excited that there will be an other kid there.

There will be plenty of people that can get your boy spearing and we always have extra spears, decoys etc.....

We will be eating around noon and there is always plenty for everyone.

hey Landdr i got room in my shack for an extra person if he wants to come out.....he has to cut the hole though lol...nah guess he wont have to lol only thing i ask of him is if he see's a fish and it comes in the hole nice he has to spear it.....think he can?

Well, I had talked myself out of going the this GTG because of the drive for a one day trip, but... I think I'm going to have to have a talk with my wife tonight and see if I am still free to go. All the reports are getting me pumped up, after this last weekend was so poor. I will let you guys know if I'm going to make it.

Bowhunt

Well, I had talked myself out of going the this GTG because of the drive for a one day trip, but... I think I'm going to have to have a talk with my wife tonight and see if I am still free to go. All the reports are getting me pumped up, after this last weekend was so poor. I will let you guys know if I'm going to make it.

Bowhunt

I wouldn't even ask her I would just go. grin

See you saturday morning.

I'm also bringing my 10 year old so thats great to hear there will be other kids even though he does pretty good with just me but he does get bored at times and usually will go out and play in the snow but since there hasn't been any thats not a option

Where you located landerr

Lakeside landing is about 3 blocks from the bait shop.

Landdr I will grab a extra spear and between Dorkfish and I we will have him covered for everything else.

Bowhunt

I told my fiance i was going spearing this weekend, kinda got the evil eye a bit and the "oh are you", then i explained only 2 more days left to spear then almost 10 months off till next spearing season, that helped laugh Getting pumped for sure, im sitting in 75 degrees here in Sacramento and cant wait to get back to freezing cold weather

Are there any awards for biggest fish?? most?? hope you guys spear a bunch of the plentiful 2-4s. Good luck...

Pre fishing waska this morning saw 4 fish in the 1st hour all cookie cut fish 2-3 lbs should be good action on sat. Chasing chubs but not smaking them.