• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

JBMasterAngler

Well, I hope the rest of you had a better opener than me. Went to greenwood lake to get some lakers. Got stuck a couple times, lost a few things, broke a few more things cry Finally get out to where we want to be, drill 2 holes and the auger dies. That took care of covering alot of area and depths. Had 2 hits, but missed them both. Marked ALOT of cisco, but I couldn't get them to bite to save my life!

Had planned to fish trout lake today to get some rainbows, but the auger took care of that plan. It was like a replay of last year...skunked on greenwood, unable to fish trout the next day.

How'd everyone else do?

Northlander

Thats why I always have a hand auger with on long trips, just for times like that.

upnorth

My auger died too, but there was another in the group. 2 nice Splake and 1 nicer Rainbow.

And I was eyeing up the hand auger, but that nah. Doesn't take up that much space, will be coming with next time.

duluthangler

Fished Sat & Sun up the gunflint. Caught many smaller lakers and one giant one. Wanted a pic, but camera battery was dead mad So all I have are the measurements and memory - 37.5" length with 22" girth! My guess was 20+ lbs.

JBMasterAngler

Yep, my brand new hand auger was sitting in my dad's garage. The good news is, we might be canceling our trip to winni next month in exchange for another crack at some trout. My dad stayed an extra night, and ended up driving to trout lake to check things out. A lot of people catching a lot of rainbows. Go figure.

lovethegitch

Went to birch. Slow for everybody on the lake that i talked to.

We got 1 brookie and 1 bow each about 15" (in 2 days of fishing)LOTS OF SNOW IN THE WOODS

KingOscar

I've been fishing Greenwood now for 8 years and each year is getting worse. Not sure if they just have plenty of forage or what is going on.

toughguy

Fished Sat & Sun up the gunflint. Caught many smaller lakers and one giant one. Wanted a pic, but camera battery was dead mad So all I have are the measurements and memory - 37.5" length with 22" girth! My guess was 20+ lbs.

Wow! I'm sure that was a blast to haul in. Congrats.

duluthangler

Thanks! Biggest one I've managed to get through the ice. About 25 min to land and release. Glad I used the 8" auger instead of the 6" wink

mnhuntnfish

full-39045-16343-100_2324.jpg

full-39045-16344-100_2316.jpg

full-39045-16345-100_2319.jpg

Not a bad day smile

reinhard1

congradulations with those nice trout. where is all that snow at? good luck.

biff

Nice triple species success whistle

Heartman

A menage' eh trout!

MnIceman

We caught 12 splake and rainbows. 10 on Sat. with 5 of us. 1 on Sunday and 1 on Monday by myself.

JBMasterAngler

My dad told me that mink lake was packed on Sunday and Monday. He said kimball, however, was empty. I'm assuming people avoid it because it's overrun with perch?

splakeshaker

It seems like it was busier than usual for trout opener this year...I'm surprised to hear about kimball.

Woodsman

Kimball is overrun with Perch as of last year. It used to be a fun lake.

JBMasterAngler

Supposedly perch are in mink now too frown There still are trout in kimball though. I had great success last june on rainbows...but caught my share of perch and rock bass too. It can be frustrating trying to fish trout though, when perch are nibbling your bait the 2nd it gets down the hole.

reinhard1

last year i called the Finland Fisheries office about Hare lake near Isabella. same subject regarding perch. at the time because of budjet cuts reclimation of trout lake programs were delayed. another reason was the chemical used for that program was not available for a reason i cant recal right now.

i'm assuming the status of that program is the same. a few years ago some lakes in the Finland/Isabella were re-claimed due to extremly high populations of perch. those lakes are now thriving well with splake and rainbows. hopefully the funding and the chemicals used for this will once more be an ongoing program.

in Hare Lake's case the DNR is stocking brookies with a high population of perch present. even if they had the means to reclaim this lake they could not do it for a creek runs out of this lake that contains trout and they would be killed as well. good luck.

OnAFly

We were up by Ely, but could caught our limits at least 3 times over on trout (of course we didn't keep them all). It was consistent action every spot we tried. There's no way that can be normal. I figured it was just good timing on our part.

JBMasterAngler

Hare lake is a great example. I've ice fished it once and couldn't keep the perch off the hook, no matter where in the water column I fished. I did catch a big holdover brown trout though. DNR should stick with the browns, could grow big on a perch diet.

Anyway, anyone ice fish west bearskin or clearwater? Gonna come back up at the end of february and maybe give 1 of those lakes a try.

Mnfisher

Relatively inexperienced trout fisherman here. My son and I caught 1 rainbow and 2 splake on Echo lake out Finland on Saturday and missed a few more. Hope to try again this season.

caseymcq

last year i called the Finland Fisheries office about Hare lake near Isabella. same subject regarding perch. at the time because of budjet cuts reclimation of trout lake programs were delayed. another reason was the chemical used for that program was not available for a reason i cant recal right now. ...

The chemical is Fintrol (Antimycin is the active ingredient). The DNR uses that in this part of the state because it is better suited to lakes with lower alkalinity than Rotenone. The company the DNR had on contract went out of business. Because the chemical is a pesticide it is regulated both at the State and Federal level thus the need for the specific contract to get the chemical.

upnorth

Relatively inexperienced trout fisherman here. My son and I caught 1 rainbow and 2 splake on Echo lake out Finland on Saturday and missed a few more. Hope to try again this season.

Drove by there early sat am, couldn't believe how many cars/trucks on the side of the road. Never seen that many vehicles.

401TE

Yep, I've never seen so many people up for trout opener. Definitely impacted the fishing for us, but we still managed to get a 4 person limit with kicker fish over 1.5 days. Got an 18" rainbow which was delicious last night! I think we caught 28 rainbow and splake total, I caught 15 on the hot lure. We should have had close to 40 fish but the other guys lost a ton. Here's a tip, if you're losing a lot of fish consider changing the lure to something that might give you a better hooking percentage...you might just be surprised at what those trout will hit.