• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Whopper Stopper

Using the forums as a tool

Question

Whopper Stopper

How many buy outdoor related items based on the recommendations of members off the board?

It never ceases to amaze me how much knowledge is so graciously shared amongst the members at HSO. Before I make any major purchases I always check out the chatter on the boards, what a barometer!

This year for me was the purchase of an Otter thermal, in my case the Cabin. I didn’t even realize I needed one before people like Jonny P, Northlander, and a host others convinced me I did through their writings.

Anyway just curious who else combs the forums looking to see who is using what? Speaking of that it’s time for me to head down to Computers and Electronics and check out any new posts for something called a GoPro! Just may need one! Thanks LmitOut!

WS

8 answers to this question

nofishfisherman

I usually check here before making a larger purchase of some sort of outdoor gear. There is a lot of good info.

I have found that you do need to take it all with a little skepticisim though. There is a lot of the ford vs chevy type debates for almost every product. Some will say company A is the best while others say company B is best. No one is going to suggest a product they don't personally believe in but some people have more motivation to suggest one product over another.

I'll rarely go buy something solely on the suggestions from the forums beacuse of this. I do use it as a place to start my search though. If there are groups of people saying companies A,B, and C are best I'll start my search there and determine for myself which is the best for me.

Eric Wettschreck

Why wouldn't anyone use the forums as a tool? Tell ya what, I'd rather talk to regular Joe type fellers about gear, that they are out in the field using, than a salesman trying to get me to buy it just cuz it's the latest and greatest.

Myself, I've learned a TON from the other guys posting about different equipment and have learned about things to not only stay away from, but to take a closer look at.

delcecchi

As the saying goes "how do you know a salesman is lying? His lips are moving"

walleyehunter80

The only person that you should listen to about buying something is someone who has actually used it. Not some sales man that has just looked at it in his store.

This site and others like it are the only way to get good true info, not about whats the best but the pro's and con's of every item

delmuts

All the time! Wether i'm having a problem with something, or want to check out something new; i'll ask about it here. Just another tool in my research. smile

traveler

Ditto...this, and other sites like it are the only research I do nowadays. Nothing like getting real world experiences from average guys out there useing the stuff.

I actually put average joes opinions above even guides/pros opinions; one, even the pros likely have some skin in the game, although the few I know I believe woulnd't come on here and plug a product they didn't believe in. Two, the "joes" are more likely to use the product like I will...not read all the directions, not use it perfectly, etc...if they have success useing a product at a less than ideal level, it will probably work for me!

Last, I'm more likely to try something new now, and come back here and share my experience with others. Kind of payback for all I get from the site.

Example; I bought a jiffy propane auger before the season last year when there was no buzz on them. Since then, I've probably posted to at least a dozen threads about them on FM. I got lucky and hit on what I feel is a great product, and I'm eager to give back some positive feedback on a product I think will be a hit with a lot of guys.

nofishfisherman

I think Traveler said it well. The average joe is who I pay attention to the most when it comes to product reviews. I value what a guide or prostaff might say but I also realize that they are going to back a company who is also backing them. I don't think they'll steer me toward a product they don't believe in but I also don't think they're always fair regarding the competitions products.

Whopper Stopper

I value what a guide or prostaff might say but I also realize that they are going to back a company who is also backing them. I don't think they'll steer me toward a product they don't believe in but I also don't think they're always fair regarding the competitions products.

This is what I find with many.That's exactly why I pick and choose my sources.

WS