• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

RangeFishing

Not sure if this is in the right place, but I couldn't find a spot that I thought it should go in so I figured Id put it in my local area forum. If there is a proper spot admins please place it there!

This spring I'm looking into starting to trap my own minnows. The Swan river goes right through the backside of our property and every time I'm down there i see tons of shiners and crappie minnows schooled up under fallen trees and in deep spots. Id like to start trapping my own and looking for the best "homemade" trap ideas. Ive looked all over the internet for designs that would be simple and easy to build and haven't been real successful in finding many. Are there and HSO users who trap and build their own traps? If so some ideas of where to begin would be greatly appreciated!

-

Doctor J

I trapped for the first year. All I did was buy a trap from L and M and put it in a creek close to our place. I had great success. This is one of those little rectangular traps with the inverted cone on one end. I thought I'd need a bigger one, but caught way more minnows than I needed with it. Very easy. You could probably look at those traps to get an idea on what to build, or save yourself the headache and buy one for $20 or whatever they were. I caught mostly spottails, but had a run of some wierd looking sucker/shiner hybrid before the spottails ran. They had a sucker-like mouth but flashed like shiners. Shiner size. Anyone have an idea what the heck kind of minnow that could be, running earlier than the shiners? Walleyes liked em!

RangeFishing

Are special licenses or permits required to trap minnows?

Doctor J

Looks like you gotta keep it under 24 dozen in possession.

Raider4ever

Dang, you never know when you will need that 289th minnow.

fishuhalik

do you know if "in your possession" means on your person or in storage? my dad traps all his minnows for the season in the spring and stores them in containers in the lake.

Raider4ever

That probably falls under the "iffy" catagory. He cannot have more than 288 in his possession (i.e. on his property, in his boat, etc.). But if they are in containers in lakes, technically they are on state property. The only thing (legally) he cannot get mad at is if someone took them from one of his containers in a lake because technically he does not own those. They cannot legally take the container though. Is it ethical to dip from that bucket if you did not trap them? No. Would it happen? Not likely. I think your Dad is good as long as he doesn't have more than 288 in his boat or on his property.

dietdew

Find a buddy and get a sein net. One swipe and u will have more than u need. I have done this on swan along with a dip net and both work well. With the dip net cut a branch to herd them out from the bank or weeds.

KrabbyPatties

If a CO ever actually decides to count his minnows, your dad should just stand by and say random numbers out loud.

CO: "215, 216, 217..."

Dad: "12, 47, 198, 74..."

CO: "75, 76, OH %@#$%!!! Just keep your friggin' minnows! Good day!"

grin

popriveter

Krabbypatties, i thoroughly enjoy your posts. Well played, sir.

Raider4ever

If keeping over three hundred minnows is a constant need, pay the $47.00 for a MN minnow retailer license and go flippin' nuts.

RangeFishing

Thanks for all the info guys. Ive found some cool diagrams online for simple traps to build and even gone down to the river to site the spot I plan on doing it. Think im gonna build some sort of sink system in the back yard to keep minnows in and fresh. I dont think ill be keeping too many minnows. JUst enough to have minnows for when Im fishing!

fishuhalik

he doesnt keep that many all year. best trapping is in the spring, so he loads up when they're running & burns through em as the year goes by.