• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

LakeMaster???

Got the chip today. loaded it to the Nuvi and so far what I can see is that it looks like the LakeMaster Map. Hard to say sitting on my couch. Has a whole lotta info on that chip. I never realized how much Minnesota has for Lakes/ponds.

The only thing I don't like about it is they say it will not work in any other GPS after you use it in one. Now if my GPS breaks they expect me to buy another card? I'll be testing that tomorrow with a friend of mine from work who has a Nuvi also. If they found out how to do that I think that is bull. I bought the chip I should be able to use it on any GPS at that point. Anybody have this one and have a comment on that issue?

Unless they have changed something, you should be able to use the MicroSD card in another Garmin GPS, that would be new to me if they have changed that. I have 3 Garmins that accept MicroSD cards and I can use my Lakemaster Woods / Rainy in any one of them, no issues at all.

Did you have to register that card with Garmin? or did you just drop it right in the Nuvi? Before I know there was no need to register the preprogramed data cards.

If your Garmin needed to go in for warranty work or repair work and they gave you a replacement, your map will transfer to the new Garmin.

Mike

Sorry Mike and everybody. I should have mention I got the Upper Midwest Fishing Guide from Garmin. Their site says "This product may be unlocked and used on 1 compatible device. If you want to use this same map on subsequent units, you must purchase a new map for each device." Like I said I think that is bull. If I buy a anything from someone I should be able to use it no matter what I put the chip in. I understand the compatible issue but come on, if my Nuvi breaks and I buy another one I should be able to use the chip on the new one. Right? Am I wrong? Now I hope my GPS doesn't break.

Kevin

P.S.

Also, I did not have to register the card with Garmin. just popped it right in.

Kevin

That's interesting, guess we will wait and see what we find out, I wouldn't get too worked up about it yet.

Funny how they worded that " This product MAY BE Unlocked and used on 1 device " it's not like they are requiring you do that.

Yeah, I do agree, it does suck but to tell you the truth, I'm not worried about my Garmin letting me down, I've only had 1 Garmin die on me and it was my own fault. I'll lose them long before they go bad on me grin

Mike

This is from Garmin's site, hasn't been updated since the end of July, makes me wonder if that statement they made for the new chip was a typo on that SD Card page.

Pre-programmed datacards: Pre-programmed datacards are immediately ready to use out of the box. Simply unpack the card and insert it into your compatible GPS device. These maps do not need to be unlocked to your device which allows you to move the card to multiple units if desired, however, you will not directly have access to the mapping on your computer2. City Navigator maps in this format are not eligible for map updates and mapping from the card cannot be copied. If you wish to obtain updated content, a new card will need to be purchased.

Hey guys. Enjoying the discussion. I got a Garmin 62st last June and got the LakeMaster MN chip at the same time. I have researched the two chips a bit and found that the lakes on my chip and the MN lakes on Garmin's Upper Midwest Fishing Guide are 100% identical.

Lake List for LakeMaster Pro Map Minnesota

and

Minnesota Lakes on the Garmin Upper Midwest Fishing Guide

They're identical documents, except for deleting the word "LakeMaster" from the top of page 1 in the UMFG list. 7 pages of lakes! (The LakeMaster chip for Garmin always did have 10 times as many lakes as the Lowrance LM chip.)

Yes, I've heard Garmin's warnings that they changed something in the UMFG chip so that each unit would need its own chip, no swapping into additional units -- unlike the LakeMaster chips. I'm not sure if you can beat it... liketheice, I'd like to hear if you have any success if you get a chance to try to read that chip in a second unit. I believe that the first time that you connect it to a computer with the chip inside (to view it with BaseCamp or some other software), it will identify the chip as belonging to that unit. I wonder if it would still work out in the field in a second unit, even after that? It's a bit frustrating, but I guess when you consider that you have data on that one chip that used to cost 500-700 bucks to assemble, it's pretty amazing that they sell it so cheaply. (shhhh)

Yes, I've heard Garmin's warnings that they changed something in the UMFG chip so that each unit would need its own chip, no swapping into additional units -- unlike the LakeMaster chips.

Well, that would be a bummer but as you say, it's still a great deal.

Thanks!

Mike

I believe that the first time that you connect it to a computer with the chip inside (to view it with BaseCamp or some other software), it will identify the chip as belonging to that unit.

or... the more I think about it: They probably have it set so that the mapping on the chip won't show up on a computer application -- like BaseCamp -- until you unlock/register it. Then, they do some voodoo to marry the data to that unit's serial number of something.

A lot of maps can't even be viewed on the gps until they're unlocked, but liketheice said that it worked in his unit right off without any registration, is that right??

I grabbed a GPS from my friend this morning and it worked in his also. Put it back into mine and it still works. So I have no idea what Garmin is meaning by that statement. I also used the chip on BaseCamp and it shows all the contour lines just fine. Schweady, I did not have to unlock anything. It worked "right out of the box."

Thanks for that. Just to be clear: did you try it in your friend's gps again AFTER seeing the chip's data in BaseCamp and it still worked? And were you viewing it in BaseCamp while it was in YOUR gps and not in a card reader or something?

Schweady,

I tired it in my friends GPS after I viewed it in BaseCamp. I keep the card in the GPS and hook the GPS up to the laptop to see the card in BaseCamp..... does that last sentence make sense?

Kevin

Perfect. Exactly what I was asking.

I am sold on this as an addition to my chip set.

Like I said on the BWCA forum here: Even though I already have the LM MN Garmin chip, the UMFG chip would add Lake of the Woods and Rainy Lake (instead of trying to find that LM chip with the same data and basically the same additional price), and also provide lots of other state lakes. Who knows?... There's an off chance I may go and fish with my nephew in WI on Lake Winnebago or Lake Michigan. Some disappointments: I was hoping that the UMFC chip would go further north and include Lac Seul, but no luck. Also no improvement over my existing LM MN chip in the Namakan area, and I can't understand why it wouldn't include Lake Superior detail in Michigan waters...

It's good to hear it works in multiple Garmins and the Base Camp program, kind of figured it would work in Base Camp. I'm hoping to have mine next week, we have 3 days on L.O.W next weekend, can't wait!

Mike