• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Barrel length?

ANYFISH2

Researching different shotguns specific to turkey hunting and I an finding many will shorter barrels(22"). Most talk about manuverablity and wieght, however I am courious as to if this effect you'r patterm down range.

I currently shot a shot gun that only shoot 2 3/4" and I have had a diffecult time to get a good pattern past 35 yds. Looking to extend out to 40 yards confidently.

Anyone have any opinions or experiences with shorter barrels vs. longer barrels and what to look for in these guns?

Thanks in advance!

does your current gun have a fixed choke or interchangeable chokes? Don't worry too much about 22 or even 24" barrels and down range accuracy or pattern density.

IMO your primary focus should be on getting that bird within 10-20 yards. I hate to think of the low percentage shots that are taken every year on birds because someone took information from 18 different sources who all said they shot a turkey at 70 yards. Believe me I've heard the wild stories while doing turkey clinics.

There's a wealth of information in the turkey forums already that covers patterning your gun and different rounds to try.

There's a thread for patterning info already stickied here in the turkey forum. I'd recommend going through that to avoid any redundancy or repeat info. It's a good read.

I shoot a Remington 870 Express, cheap gun, 28" barrel, cheap turkey choke. Nothing special and I bought it so I don't feel bad when it gets scratched up. Haven't crippled or lost a bird yet that I have shot at with it. I shoot 3" loads, #4 shot. Good out to 50yd if I need to stretch it, usually shoot around 30ish yd.

Biggest trick is to match the shell to your gun/choke so you get an even pattern and know the limits of your gun (range). Besides that, just put a bird in front of it and aim straight. smile

Thanks guys

I definately try and have birds within my comfort zone with this gun(<30yds) but I have also had text book shot just outside that zone I have past because I'm just not confident enough.

I have read Borchs' patterning info(priceless info for sure), and shot probably 6 or seven different loads(probably not enough but pretty spendy to do them all right away) and found my options seem limited in 2 3/4". The best I have found was Winchesters mag turkey in 6 shot with a full choke. I have not bought or tryed and x-full or turkey choke yet my try that this spring if I don't find a gun in time.

I guess I am looking to be able to but a little more range behind me by useing a larger shell as well as better sights(single bead) and barrel without modifying my fathers older shotgun to much.

thanks again,

You are definitely going to have to go to a different choke tube for that extended range, UNLESS your gun shoots the newer heavy shot well from the full choke you're useing now.

You can often get better patterns at longer ranges with the heavier shot from a more open choke, IF your gun likes them.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

There are always exceptions to the rule....

But in most case an aftermarket turkey tube will stretch out your range over a standard full choke. It doesn't need to be an expensive choke to do it. I'll use kids win 1300 guns for an example. Both guns were marginal with a standard full or extra full choke tube. I tried several chokes in these guns and found that the HS Strut undertaker, (less than $20) choke performed very well especially with 6 shot. Doesn't matter what brand, payload etc.

On the other hand we tried 10 different chokes and countless load combo with my dad's and a good friend's 870 shot guns and until we tried a comp n choke xxx full they were both 35 yard guns at best. Now paired with Winchester Elite #6 shot these guns both put the 50 yard marker.

With the 2 3/4" round the issue is payload. Plenty of velocity for downrange energy. Find the right combo and you'll be comfortable at 40 yards. It can be an expensive endeavor. Find a few friend to shoot with and have each buy a few boxes of ammo to help. Some sports shops have been willing to sell mixed boxes as well I've heard. I personally don't like stretching too much beyond that due to to possibility of underestimating the yardage. An extra 5-10 yards makes a big difference in your pattern density and energy.

I know a few of the high density ammo makers have 2 3/4" turkey rounds out there now.

wow, I love the info one can get from the Turkey forum!

Everything has been noted, maybe I can look into the choke first.

Thanks guy's!

Like the others have stated get a designated xfull turkey choke that should get you at least 10 if not more yards. The difference in the 2-3/4 to 3 or 3-1/2 is the amount of shot in the payload they all still carry the same velocity. Like Don said you can try the heavy shot you have to use a choke that if full or more open because it's density is harder like steel and it patters out of a full really close to lead out of a xfull. They also make chokes designated for the heavy shot loads and thats what my buddy uses for his 2-3/4 turkey load it patterns really well to 47 yards.