• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Smartphone/Handhelp GPS Mapping

sticknstring

Question

I've got an android smartphone and I've got a handheld Lowrance H20C GPS. I'd like to walk a small woodlot and record all the trails and stand locations and then import this data onto a computer. Viewing an aerial map such as Google Earth or similar and have the entire trail system saved is the ultimate goal.

What is the best/accurate way of doing this?

Thanks in advance for any input - hard to keep up with the technology!

13 answers to this question

Not sure if you can export data from the H20...on your android however, checkout the application My Tracks via the Market.

You can then upload the saved data to google maps on your PC

You can save info from your H20 to an SD card. This will give you a .gpx file. You can download an online .gpx viewer and transfer the files to the PC if you have a card reader.

I have not done this myself, but I see no reason why this would not work well for you. I have downloaded my waypoints/trails from one Lowrance unit to another via SD card and it is a very simple process.

Edit: I did a search and it looks like you can upload the .gpx files directly to Google Earth. They have a complete step-by-step tutorial.

Awesome. I'll run both My Track's and the H20 tonight for a quick test drive and try both options. I'll just have to figure out how to save the trail to the SD card! I have no idea where my manual is anymore. Anyone done this?

edit: Menu -> System Setup -> Transfer my data. Choose Save

I'll figure this out and post results tomorrow on this procedure. Maybe others could benefit as well.

Here's the tutorial link if anybody else can put this info to use:

How To Export GPS Data To Google Earth

I'll just have to figure out how to save the trail to the SD card! I have no idea where my manual is anymore. Anyone done this?

I don't know if it is possible to single out a single trail, but to download all of the trails/waypoints to your SD card follow the following steps...

After you create the trail

Insert SD Card

Hit "Menu" Twice

Select "System Setup"

Select "Transfer my data"

Hit "save"

You can then follow the steps provided in the Google Tutorial. I didn't look into it much, but you may be able to single out trails and waypoints as you upload to Google Earth.

Edit: Looks like you figured it out. Let us know how it works. I may do this for one of the woods I hunt. It would bring another dimension to the aerial photos.

Just walked out of the office and did a quick trail to test out! grin

Pretty easy to do if you have the H20. Export the USR file to your computer and use GPSBabel to convert to GPX. Open up the .gpx file from Google Earth and your'e done!

You're right, you can't single out a single trail or waypoint but once in Google Earth, you can delete what ever you want if you have clutter or over-lapping trails.

I'm in the process of clearing brush and opening up trails for potential deer stands next year and this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for all the help!

I'll probably try out My Tracks on the phone too just to test the functionality. It would be nice to cutout the removal of SD card and conversion part.

Could you please update this SNS when you have an idea how its working. I am interested in doing the same thing on my buddies new property. Its got some unusual property lines and the cover is very thick so its hard to view trails from thwe aerials. I would to know if its as easy to map as it sounds.

sticknstring - I like Google Earth, too, but you can also download Garmin BaseCamp and import those gpx files. (Free, no need to own a Garmin) The nice thing about BaseCamp is the ability to edit trails - getting rid of those inevitable stray trailpoints, splitting trails into sections, drawing your own trails to download to your device, etc. Also can print maps with various levels of detail. Have fun.

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll be sure to check it out. I'm slightly disappointed thus far in the fact the trail doesn't match the map on Google Earth. I wasn't WAAS locked but had <30' the entire walk. It's like the entire trail system is shifted west about 50' on the map. If I could make it a layer overlay, I could just move it over and it would be perfect.

I tried using Google Maps as well but couldn't figure out how to import gpx files. After some digging, I got a sample trail I did with My tracks to open up once I imported as a .kml file. That trail was right on. I'm going to walk the woods again with My Tracks and compare accuracy. It's also much easier as you can just email yourself the .gpx file from your phone and open it up on the computer rather than taking the SD card from the GPS.

I'm still learning and working out the tweaks. Once I figure out what works best, I'll try and follow up with some better results.

Not sure if you guys have looked into scoutlook, but it is a great hunting/outdoor in general scouting tool. I got into it last year before archery season and had a chance to test the app. Here are a few screen shots just so you can see what it looks like.

full-14168-16252-hso1.jpg

full-14168-16253-hso2.jpg

The first one shows the stands that I quickly set up, the second one shows a close up of my stand in Mondovi. It zooms in real close and has good resolution. It's worth looking into for both android and iphones.

Looks good Nate, I'll give it a look. It's no easy feat to keep up to speed with everything that's being released these days!

arc explorer is free and another option to look at. it says you can add gpx into it.

there is also a way to add in air photos from a server that will let you look at 2011-2008 years, plus 2003, and 1991. you can also add that server into google earth.

http://www.mngeo.state.mn.us/chouse/wms/how_to_use_wms.html

Well, after playing around with both the H20 & the smartphone - the phone wins. It locks onto satellites faster, leaves a much more accurate map via My Tracks, and the steps required to view the trail are much simpler.

I laid down a base 4-wheel trail and then walked deer trails as another layer and overlaid it. It really gives a great aerial perspective of what's happening on your property and gives insights to stand postions, etc.

I was surprised how easy this whole procedure was. If you haven't do so already, I recommend it!