• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Which breeder?

DaSwede

No idea what Tim has planned for the future. I do know they just got Lauren a trailer so they can do multiple events in a weekend and more efficiently train different levels of dogs. Don't question them much when we get results like this. full-283-16657-photo0402.jpg

Second place derby dog Madison - Anderson,TX.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DaSwede

• duckbuster

• Todd Caswell

• Bryce

CONGRATS on the 2nd!!!

What I had heard was that he was going to do the young dogs as a feeder to the rorem truck. It would be a very good move if this is true.

I am a british lab owner. I have owned several labs in my life, previously all American. I have bred labs as well and had great success producing what the owners called quality dogs in all areas. That said, my experience with Royalty British Kennel was fantastic and actually worth every penny of the price I paid for the dog. Today my dog is 1.5 years old and has been the perfect companion and hunting dog.

It is easy to sit back and talk about Hype and so forth when you have never owned one. While I agree the price is steep, I was provided with piece of mind drink the decision process. John allows you the freedom to meet every dam and sire in his kennel. You get to see pups (of all ages) that came from the various litters he has produced.

When John shows you a dam/sire combination he can tell you all about the characteristics the pair will create. During the decision making process you never know if they are blowing smoke or if they truly know what they are talking about. Everything John told me about my pup came true.

LAst summer I was at a dog jumping competition put on by Cabelas. IF you have ever bee to one of these you know what kind of dogs are there, usually high energy and VERY vocal dogs. The kind of environment that would cause any dog to fall out of line. Well as we watched Auggie sat by me, watching the event, looking at all these dogs barking and going crazy. I did not think anything of it because he is always calm and obedient. Eventually another owner came to me to ask me about Auggie, he could not believe the dog was so calm. I told him all about the auggie and he eventually complimented me on the dog and walked away. Next another guy comes over with another black Lab. They both sat down, he looked over and said," I have to ask you, is that dog from Royalty British Kennels?" I was shocked, I told him it was and asked how he knew.....He said because it is obvious he is a special dog. I looked and his dog was laying next to him as if nothing was going on around. I then said I assume yours is from royalty as we'll? indeed.

I have had coutless (and I mean a lot) of people at summer kids sports activities comment on how well behaved the dog is. I test Auggie by walking in and around people (with and without their own dogs) without a leash on. We play catch, we kill time prior to games training in grass around the paling fields. Never does the dog ever leave me, never does he run off to see other dogs. People see the obedience and comment at how impressed they are. Some have even asked me to train their dogs for them believe it or not.

Training plays a part for sure but this has been the easiest dog to train I have ever had. I have not mentioned his performance in the field but he is as god if not better in the field. Impressive considering his laid back demeanor.

Piece of mind is why i will never buy a dog any place else. I have never felt for one second like I paid too much or regret the purchase for that matter. Hopefully you own a dog for 11-14 years. It is a huge decision. I decided to limit the risk by going with this breed of dog from this breeder. Never regret it and I will be back.

All i can say is go visit and see the dogs. Listen to what John has to say. Can you get a great $300 dog from a backyard breeder? YES. But in my opinion you do take a risk, especially in todays economy where people are trying to make a buck anyway possible.

This is a never ending battle with me, untill one of these so called gentlemans gun dogs that are laid back in the house, in the field, and at the fair, ect. can compete at the same level as our dogs in our HT and more importantly FT games I will have my reservations. A few of them have achived HRCH and MH titles but I don't know of any that can compete in our FT game.. I really wish they could, but when you put that laid back image with what we demand of our dogs the numbers just don't add up and may never add up. For the average hunter that wants a dog that will pick up 25 birds a year and sit on the couch the other 355 days a year it works but to train and perform the rest of the year they have to have a HUGE desire to get it done every day.... And these G gundogs just don't have it..

This is a never ending battle with me, untill one of these so called gentlemans gun dogs that are laid back in the house, in the field, and at the fair, ect. can compete at the same level as our dogs in our HT and more importantly FT games I will have my reservations. A few of them have achived HRCH and MH titles but I don't know of any that can compete in our FT game.. I really wish they could, but when you put that laid back image with what we demand of our dogs the numbers just don't add up and may never add up. For the average hunter that wants a dog that will pick up 25 birds a year and sit on the couch the other 355 days a year it works but to train and perform the rest of the year they have to have a HUGE desire to get it done every day.... And these G gundogs just don't have it..

I'm not concerned with titles. I want what wormdunker has. I also know that John's girls all average 8,000 birds a year.

Not looking to get into a [PoorWordUsage] match, ribbons for you seem to be important. Me? I shoot a good bit more than 25 birds per year. I have guided in the field and on water. When the day is over my dog gets the compliments.

Oh and I am NOT a gentleman hunter, no offense to the over under toting, filson/orvis crowd. If your statement about "gentleman hunter" is referring to another breeder in town that blames the demise of the american lab on women? I get your angst and will agree with.

I like obedient dogs, intelligent, calm dogs. There are American labs that match that description. I have had them. I am simply saying that John Pesak is a passionate caring breeder that does a very ce job.

No chit nice call.. Not sure even a British lab with supurb qualities and line manners could hold it together with those numbers.....

22 flyers a day is very expensive and very troublmentale ( if thats a word) for the dog.

I hunted behind John's dog's a few times and got to know him a bit. His dog's are truly special and like I said earlier, he's as passionate about his dog's and the breed as can be. With that being said, I got my girl from labs4me and couldn't be happier. I couldn't ask for anything more in a hunting dog and family companion. I'm your average Joe hunter, if I get out 25 to 30 times per year, I'm happy(lucky). When John had the game farm, he did shoot a fair amount of birds. Here's a photo of a good day we had. Before you give me heck for being a game hog, we had others with us during this hunt.full-35677-16751-royalflush004.jpg

So breeders don't make the breed healther.HMMM I would guess by doing all the test eic,pra,cnm , hips eyes elbows. Would make the breed better. Thanks to all the great new test out there this is helping us make the breed healther also.There will never be a perfect dog but we are trying. I do agree dogs are more expensive then they have been in the past but what isn't. (besides houses).There are some great dogs that are sold out side of kennels I agree with that. And there are kennels that sell dogs for reasonable prices. I do respect your Opinion.

Ok, thanks guys. I think I have all the input I need on breeders. This topic is going in circles now. If you want to continue the merry-go-round, by all means start a new thread on whatever it is that you want to talk/argue about.

I appreciate all opinions, but think I have my mind set on what I want and what will fit my and my family's needs.

People talked about how expensive it is to do a breeding and they included the expense of the tests. My point was that the test are done well in advance of doing a breeding so one should not factor those test into the expense of having a litter of puppies. If you are going to include those expenses into the cost of your litter then be sure to add your vet bills for the time you have owned the dog plus food and any other expenses that were incurred before the litter, ie training. Expenses that go hand and hand with producing a litter of pups are the stud fee and the vet bill.

I was told that an excellent starting point to price your puppies is what you paid for the stud fee. $500 stud fee, $500 puppy price. Unfortunately, that is not how it works. People pay $1000 for the stud and ask 2,000-2,5000 for their puppies. How often do you hear someone say, "I'm not looking to make any money on the litter I just want a puppy out of XYZ dog". Really? Then why are you asking so much then.

Your opinion is respected as well. I hope I might have cleared up my thoughts.

So breeders don't make the breed healther.HMMM I would guess by doing all the test eic,pra,cnm , hips eyes elbows. Would make the breed better. Thanks to all the great new test out there this is helping us make the breed healther also.There will never be a perfect dog but we are trying. I do agree dogs are more expensive then they have been in the past but what isn't. (besides houses).There are some great dogs that are sold out side of kennels I agree with that. And there are kennels that sell dogs for reasonable prices. I do respect your Opinion.

Swede, glad to hear you are set to go. GOOD LUCK with your new friend!!

Unfortunately, I might be living with the dog in the crate if I don't get the boss's (wife's) approval first! Lord help me...lol!!!

Unfortunately, I might be living with the dog in the crate if I don't get the boss's (wife's) approval first! Lord help me...lol!!!

No idea what Tim has planned for the future. I do know they just got Lauren a trailer so they can do multiple events in a weekend and more efficiently train different levels of dogs. Don't question them much when we get results like this. full-283-16657-photo0402.jpg

Second place derby dog Madison - Anderson,TX.

Bryce,

Cograts on Madison and her Derby carreer, she looked good last fall and apparently better now, but who is the ugly mutt next to her with the visor?? Maybe when he gets back up here next spring he'll realise there on there way out. Looking forward to seeing Tim with a Ball Cap on his head..........

Thats too bad, the best advise I ever got when I first got into dogs was, get your wife involved, in the dogs training and you will never have a issue when it's time for a new pup either as a new member of the family or just a pup to start and sell. It has worked for me so far, My wife helps throw birds, does her daily OB with the puppy's so they also listen to her, also works with them during collar conditioning. ect. I'm pretty sure she'll never handle a dog at a trial but she does enjoy training them trully enjoys every puppy we start, because she's been part of the entire process from the begining.

Get your wife involved in training your older dog thats sitting in the crate, and then you'll be set, for a new puppy.....

She loves dogs and training. The only thing is convincing her of the price that I want to pay. I was just saying it tongue in cheek!

I have a dog from John at Royalty. I am a very satified customer. He was great to deal with and he loves his dogs. I am not going to say anything about my dog because if a guy says anything positive somebody always has to chime in, and they already have about until you dog is a FTC or FT or whatever your dog is nothing...well congrats to you that you can train your dog to run in straight lines and retrieve plastic bumpers!!! I was more than impressed with her first year of bird hunting this year and I am very happy...thats all I will say! Good luck on your decision.

• 2 weeks later...

Another JAM for Maddie my little straight line running wonder wink They use live birds in field trials by the way but sure you knew that from all your knowledge of the event.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd update those of you that recommended lab breeders for me. We ended up going with Old Oak Retrievers out of Blooming Prairie. We visited Royal British Kennels in Milaca, and John is a great guy with beautiful dogs. If we lived a little closer, we would have gone with him. We visited Whispering Pines Labs, and the owners were super nice, but the dogs just weren't quite what we were looking for. Don't get me wrong, they were quality dogs, but I had a specific look in mind, and it wasn't what we wanted.

The last kennel we visited was Old Oak. Rick has a FANTASTIC set-up out there. His dogs were exactly what I was looking for, and the kennel is practically right out my back door. My family is very excited to be getting a dog again. We can't replace our Kody, but we are excited to start a new relationship with our British Lab!

Thanks for all that helped!

• 2 weeks later...

I have one of Rick's dogs. She turned 4 yesterday and was my first hunting dog. I could not be happier with her. Unbelievable desire to hunt in the field and nice and calm at home. British labs are the way to go. Rick was VERY helpful in selecting a pup and just talking to my wife and I about the breeding and British dogs in general. I would give Rick a call if you haven't already!

DaSwede-

Good to her! You will love the dog, I am sure of that! After we got our pup, I went down and visited Rick a couple of times for some training pointers. More than happy to take the time to make sure you have all of your questions answered. Did you go with yellow or black? What is Rick asking for pups these days? Seems the going rate for a British pup is anywhere from $1,000-$1,500. Worth it for the blood lines you're getting with Rick's dogs. Let me know if you have any questions.

I am actually going to start a new thread out about getting my dog started on an an e-collar. I hunt mostly around MN and have never needed to use one with her, as I can control her with verbal commands and a whistle. However, we went out to Mott, ND last fall and had an UNREAL hunt...pheasants everywhere (hundreds on a field at a time!). This was the first time had been on that many birds and I had a really hard time keeping her close enough. So much scent and so much drive to go after birds. So, I am going to ask what people have to say about starting her out at 4 years old on a collar. I realized I need one on her if I am going to out out to Mott again this year...and with the hunt we had, I won't miss it! 40 birds shot in 3 days.

DaSwede-

Good to her! You will love the dog, I am sure of that! After we got our pup, I went down and visited Rick a couple of times for some training pointers. More than happy to take the time to make sure you have all of your questions answered. Did you go with yellow or black? What is Rick asking for pups these days? Seems the going rate for a British pup is anywhere from $1,000-$1,500. Worth it for the blood lines you're getting with Rick's dogs. Let me know if you have any questions.

I am actually going to start a new thread out about getting my dog started on an an e-collar. I hunt mostly around MN and have never needed to use one with her, as I can control her with verbal commands and a whistle. However, we went out to Mott, ND last fall and had an UNREAL hunt...pheasants everywhere (hundreds on a field at a time!). This was the first time had been on that many birds and I had a really hard time keeping her close enough. So much scent and so much drive to go after birds. So, I am going to ask what people have to say about starting her out at 4 years old on a collar. I realized I need one on her if I am going to out out to Mott again this year...and with the hunt we had, I won't miss it! 40 birds shot in 3 days.

We are on the list for a black. Don't really care if it's a male or female. I think I told him male just because the dogs run small anyway, and I'd like to have him a little bit bigger. But I'd also be fine with a female. Our last lab was yellow, so I wanted to go with a different color this time.

I can't help you with the e-collar. I didn't use one on my last lab. I will be using one this time though. I'm going to be using the Bill Hillman video to help me train. I'm sure I'll also be out with Rick too!!!

More than likely if you follow the Hillman video you won't need to spend any time with Rick. Hillmans puppy video is one of thee best if not the best.

GOOD LUCK

More than likely if you follow the Hillman video you won't need to spend any time with Rick. Hillmans puppy video is one of thee best if not the best.

GOOD LUCK

I hope you're right. It's not a cheap DVD!!!

Actualy, that will be one of the cheapest investments you make in your dog.

GOOD LUCK

Actualy, that will be one of the cheapest investments you make in your dog.

GOOD LUCK

I found a used one on another site. It should be here this week. I would have paid full price, but I know that there are a ton of them sitting on someone's shelf collecting dust. I know after I'm done, I'll resell it.

I'll buy it from you when you are done. I have a new one (puppy) coming next Spring at this time. Will you be done by then?

Let me know

I'll buy it from you when you are done. I have a new one (puppy) coming next Spring at this time. Will you be done by then?

Let me know

I'll definitely keep you in mind. I have no idea how long it will take. I would think I would be done by then though.

This post has been very helpful as I'm looking for a new pup. I talked to Rick at Old Oak for an hour yesterday but he may not have any pups available in my time frame. Diamond J. Brit. labs is going to have puppies ready in the time frame I was looking for, anyone have some feed back on this breeder. Thanks

This post has been very helpful as I'm looking for a new pup. I talked to Rick at Old Oak for an hour yesterday but he may not have any pups available in my time frame. Diamond J. Brit. labs is going to have puppies ready in the time frame I was looking for, anyone have some feed back on this breeder. Thanks

Did you check with Royalty British Labs in Milaca? John is a great guy...fun to talk with, and has great dogs. It was a toss up for us with which breeder to go with (Old Oak or Royalty). Both have superb dogs. Just so happens Old Oak is right out my back door (so to speak). Give John a call and/or go up and take a look at his dogs if you have time. It's a really neat experience.