• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Which breeder?

DaSwede

I'm looking at buying a new lab this spring/summer. I've kind of narrowed down my searches to Whispering Pines and Royalty British Kennels, both by Milaca, MN. Out of those two, which would be better. I know there are lots of other good places, but I just want to hear about these two.

I'm looking for a family dog first (I have a wife and two boys, 9 and 6, and this dog will be with us all the time). I also am a pheasant hunter, so I want a dog with a strong desire to hunt and retrieve. The last thing is that is has to be calm. My last dog (RIP, Kody) was a big sweetie, but he thought he was a lap dog. He was a little nuts sometimes. I'm looking for a more calm demeanor.

So, Whispering Pines or Royalty. Thanks for you opinions!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DaSwede

• duckbuster

• Todd Caswell

• Bryce

I would ask both the breeders for some references and give the references a call and ask them about their dogs and how the breeders treated them through the process; and if you live close enough, you could stop by and check the place out to be sure its not a puppy milll type of place! but if they are both reputable kennels and offer the same guarantees, close your eyes and pick one!

but if they are both reputable kennels and offer the same guarantees, close your eyes and pick one!

That's the problem! They are both really good kennels. I will be visiting them in February, so I'll get a better sense then. Just wondering if other folks have had experiences with either one.

I would not rule out Old Oak Retrievers in Blooming Prairie.

Rick is an amazing trainer and is VERY selective in his dogs. He breeds some of the best dogs I have ever seen.

Give him a call he would be glad to chat.

I would not rule out Old Oak Retrievers in Blooming Prairie.

Rick is an amazing trainer and is VERY selective in his dogs. He breeds some of the best dogs I have ever seen.

Give him a call he would be glad to chat.

Right out my backdoor! I'll give him a call.

We got a pup from Whispering Pines a year ago. I would definitely reccomend getting a pup from them. Dan and Mary Jo are excellent. They are second to none. They have a good head for selecting dogs to breed.

If you are looking for a calm demeanor, they'll have a pup for you. Our girl, Darby, is definitely a lab. Happy to see everyone and as friendly as could be but she isn't rammy about it and won't pester people. She says "Hi" and is quick to chill out and relax. She is an excellent family dog. We have a 5-year-old daughter and Darby is excellent with her.

Darby definitely has a strong desire to retirve. She usually greets me at the door with something in her mouth and promptly delivers it once I give her a pat.

We are more than happy with the pup we got from Whispering Pines and I would highly reccomend them for what you are looking for.

Not to muddy the waters but one other breeder I would offer up having had experience with them is Smith Farms Labradors in Grove City. They are another excellent breeder with dogs that would be what you are looking for.

Good luck with your search for a pup.

I know you get what you pay for, but are breeders really getting $900-$1600/lab? With the little bit of research I've done, that seems to be the going rate. While I don't have a huge problem with that, trying to convince the person who controls the checkbook will be tough wink

I know you get what you pay for, ...

You pretty much summed it up right there. When you look at what breeders have to put into producing quality dogs it is definitely worth the money. $1,600 is pretty steep though. $900 seems typical. Just bring the person who controls the checkbook with and once the puppy gets a hold of her the purse strings will be loosened. winkgrin

i have the name of a breeder that i got my lab from in bemdji but last time i put the name up i got suspended from the boards. can't understand the policy if you all are putting names on the board. pm me if you want the name. jeff

We got a pup from Whispering Pines a year ago. I would definitely reccomend getting a pup from them. Dan and Mary Jo are excellent. They are second to none. They have a good head for selecting dogs to breed.

If you are looking for a calm demeanor, they'll have a pup for you. Our girl, Darby, is definitely a lab. Happy to see everyone and as friendly as could be but she isn't rammy about it and won't pester people. She says "Hi" and is quick to chill out and relax. She is an excellent family dog. We have a 5-year-old daughter and Darby is excellent with her.

Darby definitely has a strong desire to retirve. She usually greets me at the door with something in her mouth and promptly delivers it once I give her a pat.

We are more than happy with the pup we got from Whispering Pines and I would highly reccomend them for what you are looking for.

Not to muddy the waters but one other breeder I would offer up having had experience with them is Smith Farms Labradors in Grove City. They are another excellent breeder with dogs that would be what you are looking for.

Good luck with your search for a pup.

It looks like this kennel is not going to work for us. The only reason is the timing of the puppies. Because of work, I really want/need a puppy the end of May early June. The pups at Whispering Pines are going to be ready in early April. Otherwise they would be a great option.

I talked with Royalty Kennels for quite a bit. The dogs are everything I could ever want in a dog, but are at the high end as far as price.

Still not sure what I'm going to do. All I know is that I want/need a dog soon!!!!

JMD

just to clarify your post... you can put the name of the keenel on a post, you cannot add in email addresses or websites...

Good Luck!

Ken

Still not sure what I'm going to do. All I know is that I want/need a dog soon!!!!

Have you taken a look at Smith Farms Labradors? My experience with them was just as good as Whispering Pines.

Have you taken a look at Smith Farms Labradors? My experience with them was just as good as Whispering Pines.

They have puppies ready now until February, which isn't going to work for us.

John at Royalty British Kennels is about as passionate about his dogs and breeding as they get. I hunted with him behind some of his dogs a couple of years ago and they are fine dogs. I believe a few members here own dogs from him, maybe they can chime in or look for old posts. I'm not a British lab guy, but your right, he doesn't give them away! With that being said, that could be the going rate for a top British lab!

John at Royalty British Kennels is about as passionate about his dogs and breeding as they get. I hunted with him behind some of his dogs a couple of years ago and they are fine dogs. I believe a few members here own dogs from him, maybe they can chime in or look for old posts. I'm not a British lab guy, but your right, he doesn't give them away! With that being said, that could be the going rate for a top British lab!

That's where I want to buy from, but the price is what is making second and third guess myself...not that they aren't worth it...I just don't know if it's worth it to me.

Puppies today are so over priced it's really a joke. To many people think that because they have a JH, SH or MH in front of their dogs name it is the best dog since sliced bread. NOT!! Field trial dogs are the same way breed a national dog to a MH and ask $4,500? INSANE!!

People who are looking for strictly a good gun dog, my advice would be to find a litter out of the paper with good guarantees in a price range that is where you think it should be and buy the dog. Puppies are a [PoorWordUsage] shoot anyway. What you are looking for is a healthy dog that will hunt. Thats what Labs do, they hunt. Don't over think this.

GOOD LUCK with our search.

I know you get what you pay for, but are breeders really getting $900-$1600/lab? With the little bit of research I've done, that seems to be the going rate. While I don't have a huge problem with that, trying to convince the person who controls the checkbook will be tough wink

Puppies today are so over priced it's really a joke. To many people think that because they have a JH, SH or MH in front of their dogs name it is the best dog since sliced bread. NOT!! Field trial dogs are the same way breed a national dog to a MH and ask $4,500? INSANE!!

People who are looking for strictly a good gun dog, my advice would be to find a litter out of the paper with good guarantees in a price range that is where you think it should be and buy the dog. Puppies are a [PoorWordUsage] shoot anyway. What you are looking for is a healthy dog that will hunt. Thats what Labs do, they hunt. Don't over think this.

Not always the case. My best friend has a lab that he bought from a really nice older couple that had a litter of pups. This lab is a big sweetie, but she is NOT a hunting dog. Heck, I'd even question if she's a retriever...lol. My buddy has raised and trained hunting dogs all his life, so I don't think it's because of lack of training.

Swede, you brought up the concern on prices of Labs. They are over priced, can there be a black sheep? Sure there can be. My point was simply that if you are looking for a gun dog then don't over pay for one. Don't get caught up in the "Breeder" thing either.

Not always the case. My best friend has a lab that he bought from a really nice older couple that had a litter of pups. This lab is a big sweetie, but she is NOT a hunting dog. Heck, I'd even question if she's a retriever...lol. My buddy has raised and trained hunting dogs all his life, so I don't think it's because of lack of training.

duck buster. How are pups over priced.Breeders now days have to spend lots of money on testing to produce healthy hunting dogs. Yes you can find some good dogs for under 500 dollars. But did the owners do all the testing hips,eyes,elbows 300.00 eic, 65.00 pra 125.00, cnm 65.00. Now breeding prices progestine test (spelled wrong.test to see how far she is in her heat cycle) 80.00 bucks a test. 2 rounds of shots due claws, health check on pups 300.00 puppy food 60.00, stud fee depends on who you use.then hope nothing happens to yout female during delivery.

So as far as pups being over priced it all goes back to what you want.Some are happy with a dog that cost 100.00. And some will spend a boat load of cash on a dog they want.

I'm not a professional breeder

Swede, you brought up the concern on prices of Labs. They are over priced, can there be a black sheep? Sure there can be. My point was simply that if you are looking for a gun dog then don't over pay for one. Don't get caught up in the "Breeder" thing either.

I get what you are saying. It's been 12 years since I last bought a pup. I bought Kody (our last lab that we put down a month ago) from a couple that just liked breeding dogs, and he was a great dog...a little (ok, maybe a lot) hyper, but a good hunter and a great family dog. This time though, I'm looking for very specific things, so that's why I'm looking at certain kennels. I do appreciate your input though!

Thanks,

duck buster. How are pups over priced.Breeders now days have to spend lots of money on testing to produce healthy hunting dogs. Yes you can find some good dogs for under 500 dollars. But did the owners do all the testing hips,eyes,elbows 300.00 eic, 65.00 pra 125.00, cnm 65.00. Now breeding prices progestine test (spelled wrong.test to see how far she is in her heat cycle) 80.00 bucks a test. 2 rounds of shots due claws, health check on pups 300.00 puppy food 60.00, stud fee depends on who you use.then hope nothing happens to yout female during delivery.

So as far as pups being over priced it all goes back to what you want.Some are happy with a dog that cost 100.00. And some will spend a boat load of cash on a dog they want.

I'm not a professional breeder

I think what Wade DB is trying to say is if money is an issue, and if your looking for a pet/gun dog, not a trial or top end HT dog then find a solid breeding from proven hunting parents, with ALL there health clearences. And that can be done for $500 give or take. Are these people making much on there puppy's nope but thats the going rate for that level of breeding. And don't get hung up on the pick of the litter either Iv'e been wrong with that as well, some of the best dogs end up being the left over.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the British dogs but you are definatly going to pay for the hype that goes along with it, I train with 4 of them at our HRC club, 2 of them are wildrose dogs and the other two are decendents from there, and there no different than any other lab, all 4 are nice gun dogs and family pets, 2 are very noisy at the line and pretty high, the other two are a lot more low key but don't take pressure very well. So there just like any other lab can be. They just paid alot more.

But if you are dead set on a BL you could give Kim at KT British labs a call he's in Elbow lake. Kims a good guy, nice kennel and dogs.

And don't get hung up on the pick of the litter either Iv'e been wrong with that as well, some of the best dogs end up being the left over.

We took third pick out of our last litter. I favored one, the wife favored another. We waited until one was picked and the kept the "leftover". Kind of humorous to see some of the "tests" new buyers use to get the perfect pup. I get some funny looks when I say close your eyes and reach into the pile. That theory is pretty true on a well bred litter.

Knowing what a puppy is like after a buy spends 30 min with them is definitely shooting in the dark compared to a breeder spending the last 7 weeks with the puppies. Typically with a thought out breeding and knowing the parents, separate the color and sex of what you're wanting and grab one. Otherwise I always recommend to people buying a puppy from someone who really knows their dogs, ask them to tell you what puppy they'd take or the one they're wanting to be the last one taken as typically a breeder will either identify puppies for specific types of buyers or push people to take other puppies leaving their personal choice till last in case they end up keeping one.

I know the dollars involved to do a breeding. I paid $1,500 for the stud fee, I paid for an AI procedure, I left my dog with Dr. Rice for 5 days, I did 5 progestrone tests. To comment on the last thing you said there at the end, Really breeders do nothing to make the litter healthy. You do the hips, the elbows, the eyes, the EIC well before you decide it's time to do a breeeding. So before the breeding ever takes place hopefully you have done your due diligence. After that it is in Gods hands.

I say puppies today are over priced because of what I've seen over 30 years in and around the field trial game. 30 years ago we paid $300 for a FC/AFC to FC/AFC breeding. Today that would cost you 4-5 grand.

I will preface what I'm about to say next with this, I mean NO disrepsect to those owners who run the Hunt test arena. With that being said do you have an idea of how easy it is to put a JH or SH title on a dog? The MH title isn't that much tougher. A JH or Sh means your dog can go out and make a 100 yard retrieve. WOW!! The MH can do that and run a 100 yard blind. To those who run that arena god bless them. However that arena is not where I'm at. The dogs where I am are WAY over priced and unfortunately because of that it trickles down to everyone else.

That's why I believe that if you are looking for a gun dog look into litters for sale thru the paper and NOT a kennel where you will surely OVER PAY. Just one man's opinion is all but because I have been around long enough I have seen the evolution of things and where the prices have been and where they are now.

I agree. i'm just throwing out there what it takes to breed a dog. and what breeders have to do to produce healthy dogs.

Some good points but probably wrong forum. I think most of the readers on this forum would be tickled pink to know their hound could consistently nail a 100 yard mark. Vast majority of them would have a real tough time getting a single leg on JH title. Yet the owners are rightfully happy as they have a perfectly good meat dog that smacks everything inside of 50 yards which is realistic to even stretching it in a real world hunting. They talk up the occassional long retrieve and talk off the more numerous unretrieved birds at that range as not realistic and fido tried real hard.

As far as hunt tests being easy. Have you been lately? I was surprised at the difficulty the couple chances I had to watch our young girl this year at an SH event. I'll give you the range factor but at what level of trials do they throw pinched marks or momma/poppa marks? Really two different types of dogs that only the very best can excel at both. Let's take that open dog that gets big excitement out of a 150 yard go bird and throw it in a MH event with a 40 yard flying eraser and see how things go.

That said, our little girl just got confirmation she is through the third series and runs tomorrow for a derby ribbon.

Is she in Louisiana with Tim down on the spillway @ the triple D/Q? I heard Tim was getting out of the HT side and was going to do yound dogs (D & Q) only. Is this true?

I'm not sure I did a real good job there of explaining the OP's question/concern. However, I was trying to point out how puppies today are over priced. Going thru a "kennel" I believe for a gun dog you will over pay.

Good Luck with the finish tomorrow!!

Some good points but probably wrong forum. I think most of the readers on this forum would be tickled pink to know their hound could consistently nail a 100 yard mark. Vast majority of them would have a real tough time getting a single leg on JH title. Yet the owners are rightfully happy as they have a perfectly good meat dog that smacks everything inside of 50 yards which is realistic to even stretching it in a real world hunting. They talk up the occassional long retrieve and talk off the more numerous unretrieved birds at that range as not realistic and fido tried real hard.

As far as hunt tests being easy. Have you been lately? I was surprised at the difficulty the couple chances I had to watch our young girl this year at an SH event. I'll give you the range factor but at what level of trials do they throw pinched marks or momma/poppa marks? Really two different types of dogs that only the very best can excel at both. Let's take that open dog that gets big excitement out of a 150 yard go bird and throw it in a MH event with a 40 yard flying eraser and see how things go.

That said, our little girl just got confirmation she is through the third series and runs tomorrow for a derby ribbon.

Your right, good points but wrong forumn perhaps, but I'll give my input as well, as long as it's free cool

HT were designed for dogs and handlers that could not or did not want to compete at the FT level period. Years ago the 80's most clubs had informals, then came along the HT, the feel good arena according to the old timmers. I run some HT but I personaly hate the pass/fail venue.

I love the competition and would much rather have my dog fail than pass and get a ribbon. Tim'S bread and butter is HT and I don't see him getting away from that, right now.... As long as he has the people and the dogs he will continue.....,...

I am a british lab owner. I have owned several labs in my life, previously all American. I have bred labs as well and had great success producing what the owners called quality dogs in all areas. That said, my experience with Royalty British Kennel was fantastic and actually worth every penny of the price I paid for the dog. Today my dog is 1.5 years old and has been the perfect companion and hunting dog.

It is easy to sit back and talk about Hype and so forth when you have never owned one. While I agree the price is steep, I was provided with piece of mind drink the decision process. John allows you the freedom to meet every dam and sire in his kennel. You get to see pups (of all ages) that came from the various litters he has produced.

When John shows you a dam/sire combination he can tell you all about the characteristics the pair will create. During the decision making process you never know if they are blowing smoke or if they truly know what they are talking about. Everything John told me about my pup came true.

LAst summer I was at a dog jumping competition put on by Cabelas. IF you have ever bee to one of these you know what kind of dogs are there, usually high energy and VERY vocal dogs. The kind of environment that would cause any dog to fall out of line. Well as we watched Auggie sat by me, watching the event, looking at all these dogs barking and going crazy. I did not think anything of it because he is always calm and obedient. Eventually another owner came to me to ask me about Auggie, he could not believe the dog was so calm. I told him all about the auggie and he eventually complimented me on the dog and walked away. Next another guy comes over with another black Lab. They both sat down, he looked over and said," I have to ask you, is that dog from Royalty British Kennels?" I was shocked, I told him it was and asked how he knew.....He said because it is obvious he is a special dog. I looked and his dog was laying next to him as if nothing was going on around. I then said I assume yours is from royalty as we'll? indeed.

I have had coutless (and I mean a lot) of people at summer kids sports activities comment on how well behaved the dog is. I test Auggie by walking in and around people (with and without their own dogs) without a leash on. We play catch, we kill time prior to games training in grass around the paling fields. Never does the dog ever leave me, never does he run off to see other dogs. People see the obedience and comment at how impressed they are. Some have even asked me to train their dogs for them believe it or not.

Training plays a part for sure but this has been the easiest dog to train I have ever had. I have not mentioned his performance in the field but he is as god if not better in the field. Impressive considering his laid back demeanor.

Piece of mind is why i will never buy a dog any place else. I have never felt for one second like I paid too much or regret the purchase for that matter. Hopefully you own a dog for 11-14 years. It is a huge decision. I decided to limit the risk by going with this breed of dog from this breeder. Never regret it and I will be back.

All i can say is go visit and see the dogs. Listen to what John has to say. Can you get a great $300 dog from a backyard breeder? YES. But in my opinion you do take a risk, especially in todays economy where people are trying to make a buck anyway possible.