• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Big Jeff

Any one been on Namakan latly?

Big Jeff

My parents are going to a friend’s cabin out on Namakan this weekend and they are concerned about the ice. I am wondering if anyone has been out lately. I see that they have not staked the trail form Ash River to Crane yet but I am wondering if that is because of the large part of Namakan or what? This weather is divining me nuts!

mark23

I would hope your parents friend would have some common sense to call the resort they go through in the summer and ask them about the ice conditions, if that resort isn't open in the winter they could call another one that is open. Check the ashriver trail web site, Tom the owner thought he heard the park service might have staked namakan but hadn't seen the official posting from the park yet. And remember just because the trail is staked dosen't mean the whole lake is safe, especially if your place is by high current area.

diesel

Jeff:

The park has staked the Green Trail from Ash River to Crane however there is still little to no snow out there. With the warm weather we've had lately I personally would wait for this current cold stretch to make some better ice.

Were suppose to go up in a few weeks but may have to head to the UP if more snow does not show up soon.

Big Jeff

Parents got out to the cabin and back and even road to the tbird and back. Good times had by all. Unfortunately I was at home looking at my sled on the trailer and my ice shack in the garage while the baby’s nursery was being finished. Darn responsibilities creeping in, 6 weeks away…

Mark where are you at on the lake? Not to many places left.

mark23

Jeff, my family is one of the forunated ones that outlasted the parks scare tactics of the 70's and still reside on the U.S. side just southwest of Pat Smith island were the 3 rock reef is. According to the park there are still 42 private properties in the park, this includes rainy. I've been around every inch of shoreline between sandpoint and west Kab and I've only came across about 22, so rainy must have the rest. How about your family.

NBR

Mark are you close to Whiskey Point? I used to come up every year but age and distance have stopped that. Namakan and Sand Point are as close to heaven as I can imagine. My wife has instructions to have my ashes released as fish food at the little harbor at Berger's.

diesel

Mark:

We have a place on the Canadian side and have lost numerous friends over the years due to the park's land recovery process. As for the 42 some odd properties remaining in private control I believe some or many of these may be raw land. I know of a few people that still have land but never built anything on these parcels so this may factor into the equation.

We'll have to meet up sometime. We are located north across the bay from the wolf packs.

JFan02

I am a west end guy, my family has a cabin on State Point on Kab. I agree that the east end of Namakan into Sand Point and Crane is gorgeous! I don't make it up there nearly enough. Someday I will give ice fishing a shot up there!

mark23

Nbr, yes I am whiskey point, there's actually 2 related families that own the land, I have the east side of the point that's in the bay. My dad also wants his ashes spread over the land after he passes, but you have to get a permit from the park and with as much grief he has thrown there way over the years they probably won't give us one. Diesel I think we've talked before on this site, Your right about the undeveloped land I just forgot about it the other day, I think your one of the cabins on blue Island. Jfan I've heard of state point but didn't know exactly were it was so I did a google search and came up with the historicle page, your area is another great history area. There's a family on cranelake that asked all the local cabin owners from crane to namakan to tell there story of being either displaced by the park or just how they aquired there place. there was enough response to fill 2 books. If your ever at nelsons stop in the gift store I think they have both copies people can thumb through. If all the people that own property up there but live in the twin cities got together we could have one heck of a party.

diesel

Mark23

I'm not sure if we have spoken before however our place is not on Blue. We have the small island a few hundred yards west of Blue.

The party sounds like a good idea!