• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pictures of your Furbearers and Varmints

Gordie

It must of caught a northern and had it in its mouth when it swam through my trap. grin So its kind of fishing and trapping at the same time.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ray1

• Gordie

• RangerJack

• K_Josh87

Top Posters In This Topic

When trapping or snaring coyotes or fox what do you look for in picking a specific spot or location?

Once the spot is found, do you bait the spot and place a trap near the bait or what is your preferred method?

Not bad fur on the stretcher and fish on the plate ... Keep the pics coming

I hope to join in the trapping myself next season it's been 25 years since I did it but I really miss stand it's something I would like my kids to experience of course after they complete the safety training course

I look for an area with lots of sign (tracks and scat). Once you find that try and find a pinch point, fence line, tree line, or where different crops meet (once there harvested). Coyotes will take the easiest path available. River edges are also good. The main thing is to be on location.

If your using snares i would set up a bait pile and wait till the yotes establish it and then load up the trails with snares (this tends to work better as the winter and snow progresses). For my foot holds i will dig a hole at about a 70 degree angle and put some bait down the hole. Then bed the trap back about 8-9 inches and i offset my trap to the right about 3 inches. Make sure to have a good 2-3 pounds of pan tension too. Sift dirt over the trap and use a little wisk broom and smooth it all out and make sure that the spot over the pan is the lowest part. Take the wisk broom again and blend the area in. Add a little backing of some sort behind the hole opposite the trap. Collect your coyote grin

Snares I have seen or have been shown are usually put in a trail or run way

I didn't trap to much for fox or totes back then but I would find critter sign then do a dirt hole set most of the time bait under the trap or just in front of it a bit at least that's how I did it.

When I snare, I like to run tight trails in tall grass or occasionally in wooded areas. Cattails usually are good in winter, but this year the dogs aren't in the swamps. Make sure you put a stick, blade of grass, or cattail above the snare so the fox or yote ducks into the snare! Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

6793080377_847827d993.jpg

Eighth fox of the year, a nice looking male. looks skinny in the pic, but he had plenty of fat.

good luck!

This is a pic of my brother, trapped long and hard but he finally got a cat(two actually). His girlfriend's dad showed him the ropes this year. Both cats came from where we deer hunt, we have been seeing a lot of tracks in the past few years and I even saw one in my stand. Both cats weighed in just under 40lbs.

full-39199-17084-img954276.jpg

Ranger, Which part of the state are you getting all the reds. I have trapped only 2 in two years. The yotes are taking over our fox around my area.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Here I am back in the hay days of fur, hound, and traps. Never really took much for pics when I trapped allot I guess. But here is some home control around the bird pen even though I have not been out for a few years.LOL I'll be back out,just had to much work, which is good I guess. LOL

DSCN0518JPGcopy.jpg

P3150156.jpg

P2170127.jpg

P2020100.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

6855742572_ea807d41a3.jpg

connected with this nice 40lber tonight. was out setting my traps for the first time this spring and got this guy about TEN minutes after I set the 330. my castor lure must've smelled lovely because I caught 2 beavers while I was "watching" (setting other traps and I could hear the 330's go off). should have more tomorrow. hopefully a bigger one.

good luck