• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey all, i was just wondering if Reeds lake was a good lake for northerns. I have heard it is good for bass and crappie but not to much about northerns. My friend managed to pick one up the last time we went, just a small guy. Any info would be appreciated!

tried it late last year with 4 tip ups from 9 am till about 4 pm not one flag but had about 30 ice chunks from spearing holes on the ice im guessing it gets speared out early and with spearing its no catch and release.

Ya i heard that they have a good crappie population. My friend and i are going to give it a shot tomorrow morning for awhile. I'll let you guys know how we do!

I wouldn't call it a good crappie population. When we only had 4 inches of ice, i was out in the deeper water and pulled 50 thru the ice in 2 hours...So there are lots of crappies, but the size is quite small. My biggest that day was 8", and you didn't even have to bait the spoon.

There are probably a few 12" fish roaming around, maybe even bigger. I've heard of 17" fish in past years, but very few. But last year i fished this lake hard for a month and my biggest crappie was only 11". Feel free to keep limits of the smaller crappies as it may help the population in the future.

I do enjoy fishing that lake though. It is a great little lake.

any one have any comments about recent pike fishing plan on hitting it up in the morning for tip ups.

Was thinking about going out to Reeds this weekend and try out for crappies! Was wondering the ice conditions there now? Hoping to fish in the deeper water in 30 FOW area. Ice thickness?

full-26433-16439-img_3943.jpg

This was December 17th 2011 in the deep water. 4" of ice. If you walk out there i'm POSITIVE you will have no problems. Don't be driving. Its a small lake. Should be 8"+.

And ya, that big blob of red on the right side of the flasher was all crappies.

TruthWalleyes - Thanks for the info! Dang! That was pretty good slap across my face first time I got out of the house early this morning! COLD! Ice making weather right there!

How is the crappie and Pike bite on reeds lately? Heading out there tomorrow either way if there biting or not just trying to prepare for a day of watching the snow or reeling in the fish.

There are some really nice bass in that lake too. I like to head to the east end of the lake on some rocks about an hour before sunset. Can make for some fun fishing!

i quit bassin it during soft water season. used to be great before so many people got wind of it. small lake with a lot of pressure now =(

isn't it only 5 feet deep on the east end? Typically pike (maybe not bass) move deeper and deeper as the winter goes on typically following bait fish or crappies. How bout the Pike conditions on the lake anyone have any luck?

isn't it only 5 feet deep on the east end? Typically pike (maybe not bass) move deeper and deeper as the winter goes on typically following bait fish or crappies. How bout the Pike conditions on the lake anyone have any luck?

Hmmm...How come i catch bass over there in the winter then shocked

A buddy and I were out on last wed. the 25th and I think that I may have left my rod bag there with three rods in it. It was a glacier bay rod locker. if anyone can help me and they found it please call me at 5072581415. thanks

cause the bass havent moved deep and typicially won't move deeper then 15 feet in the winter on average. There scavengers and just roam.

I went out there tonight in 20fow couldn't keep the small sunfish off got one nice crappie and one hit on the shinner but failed to get a hook set in it.

You can catch pike at different FOW all year but typically pike follow the bait fish and on small lakes they will follow the crappies but won't necessarily stick around that deep. But they will stay closer to the depth of where crappies are so they won't have to travel so far which makes sense of why people will catch pike while crappie fishing. This is from an article from the MN outdoor news

http://www.ice-fishing-source.com/northern-pike-tips-techniques.asp Here is a good article on pike fishing. This is what it says under the Pike location section: (remember every lake is different this is just in general)

During early ice Northern Pike can be found in fairly shallow water accompanied by weed edges, points and bars. Combined with inside turns or other structure is even better.

As winter progresses Northern Pike follow the food and move further out. Start by fishing outside weed edges and offshore humps and bars.

As spring nears Northern Pike begin moving shallower again into pre spawn areas. Besides shoreline points and breaks, look for them near river mouths.

So your telling me that all northern follow just crappies and some dont stay in the shallows where u can find baby gills and smaller fish which are easy prey.

I catch a lot of northerns while crappie fishing....I would not say ALL, and that is generally an ignorant statment, ALL, ALWAYS, etc...

I think we can all agree you can catch bass, crappies, and pike shallow or deep on Reeds. Different strokes for different folks.