• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Who should the Vikes draft?

EBass

After Reiff and Martin, I haven't heard of anyone that could step right in and start at left tackle. We all want to see the Vikings get better and there is more than one way of doing it. Learning from prior mistakes ('98 and '09) shouldn't be forgotten in the rebuilding process.

I stand corrected...Reiff and Martin may not ready to start at left tackle.

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_19785076

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• james_walleye

• YiGGiN4SLoBS

• LMITOUT

• zepman

There has only been 1 DB drafted in the last 20 years early than the 5th pick. I like Claiborne, but #3 is too early for him. If we could trade back a few and get him around 5-8 and pick up another 3rd round pick, that would be great. I can't imagine Blackmon being available after pick #5, but you never know.

Things will change a fair amount after the combine.

Usually, and I stress usually the closest thing to a sure pick in the first round. If they take the best LT available, but I am a big believer in always taking the best player available no matter where you pick. But if I was the Vikings front office I would be looking to trade down in the draft a couple of times to get some extra picks. They have no secondary and playing against GB, Lions! and the Bears 2 times each.... Oh My!

Manning might be available in FA. That fits the Vikings mood of thought. Could be the best FA qb they ever signed. One bridge fixed while they fix the others.

This team has to stop bringing in aging QBs. Even if manning is still good, they have to stick with Ponder and develope him until they believe he can or cannot be a QB in the league.

It would be awesome to get Manning. He's not like the other aging qb's we've brought in. Yes there is a bit of risk with his neck, but this guy is tough and I don't see it affecting him much. He is still one of the best qb's in this league, and would be a great mentor for Ponder.

Good teams don't go out and get people's left overs. Ponder needs to keep playing because the Vikes will have to decide on his contract in a couple years, and to do that they need to see him play. If he's behind Manning and not playing, it's tough to figure his worth. If Manning is healthy, he is going to want some serious coin. That will come at a cost of fewer young FAs that you were previously in the market for. As I said earlier I am a giants fan, but would like to see the Vikes do well so I can go see them in the play offs. The Giants drafting has been good and steady. You don't always need the sexy player all the "fans" want. There are a lot of good players in every draft, the front office just has to find them.

Behind our O-line manning would be dead within a couple games. See Bret Farve, Adrian Peterson, Toby Gerhardt, Christian Ponder injuries.

We tried to bring in Mcnothing for 7 million last year. Look how well that worked. Its time to get young. We have to be one of the oldest teams in the league.

I think it funny that Eli is nearly every bit as good as his brother if not better in my eyes, playing outdoors in the cold, no dome, etc. Let's draft Booger Presley from revenge of the nerds, does it really matter, I guess for the near future it does, but we are o fer superbowls and not ready to battle the elite QB teams in the nfl.

no reason to even look at manning & i dont even think he will be able to play much if at all this next season, & what good is any qb with a swiss cheese o-line, manning certainly is not a running qb. RGIII has talent but not big or solid enuff to hold up to NFL play, especially rookie year. Ponder/Webb/Rosenfels will work, just need to clean up protection on o-line, when qb has time & wr's get open then anything can happen. We first need o-line & d secondary, hopefully FA nets wr's & LB depth

Quote:
RGIII has talent but not big or solid enuff to hold up to NFL play

He's 6'2" 220 lbs. Not Big Ben, but it's not like he's a frail little thing, either.

Behind our O-line manning would be dead within a couple games. See Bret Farve, Adrian Peterson, Toby Gerhardt, Christian Ponder injuries.

Favre, yes. Peterson just got hit at a bad angle with his leg planted - that had NOTHING to do with the line. Nor did Gerhart. Ponder needs to learn to not hang onto the ball so long and he won't absorb as many big hits.

I think Vikes will draft a left tackle(unless coaches think Love can handle it) ,though I'm not sure it will be in the first round . It seems like Spielman likes to move draft picks around(trade back and gain a couple picks) , so he can leverage positions for coveted players...aka Gerhart. I personally wouldn't do that....If I had a player I wanted, with a first round grade, I'd jump when I had the chance. Way too many teams that could jump your spot, if you trade back to get "value". Every team has thier own grades on players....and we don't know what they are.

I do believe we will draft a tackle, wr, db, in the first 3 rounds, and if there is ANY way to squeeze Decastro(Guard) in there also, I'm all for it.

I heard something that to protect getting RG3 and to keep others from trading to #3, that the browns could trade up 1 spot to the vikings. This could possibly be worth the 22nd pick that the browns got from the falcons last year??? Seems pretty steep to me. But imagine the prospects of that. Kalil and then Kirkpatrick at 22? How sweet would that be....

I'd take that deal....I'd even take #4 and #36 for our #3 spot. I've seen several mocks that think St. Louis could take Kalil.....in that case what would you do?? Take Claibourne #4.....speediest, quickest WR that can catch at #35 and best tackle left at #36 (Reiff, Martin, Adams)??I'm not sure I'd take Kirkpatrick til about round 3, with his problems. I'd sure like Decastro squeezed in there someplace too.

One thing I'm quite comfortable in calling....Spielman will take a DT in round 4.

Kalil and then Kirkpatrick at 22? How sweet would that be....

Another doper? Oh let me guess, he has migraines too? Maybe he can share a cell with Cook later down the line...

You're making this too hard, folks! A dart board with 19 names for the 19 positions they need help at and keep throwing till it's over. That's assuming they don't trade all their picks for a fading star. blush

I'd take that deal....I'd even take #4 and #36 for our #3 spot. I've seen several mocks that think St. Louis could take Kalil.....in that case what would you do?? Take Claibourne #4.....speediest, quickest WR that can catch at #35 and best tackle left at #36 (Reiff, Martin, Adams)??I'm not sure I'd take Kirkpatrick til about round 3, with his problems. I'd sure like Decastro squeezed in there someplace too.

One thing I'm quite comfortable in calling....Spielman will take a DT in round 4.

Kitkpatrick will be a first rounder.....

Wonder where pier is hiding these days now that its pretty clear you DO need a defense to win a championship. Name the last team that won a superbowl that had a rotten defense? Answer.....its never happened. Yep Eli is clutch. But why does he have 2 rings to Peytons 1? Pretty easy. Give Peyton a defense like that over his career and he has 5 rings.

To the original question again....no matter where the vikings pick, OL and DB are the priorities imo. A reiever will be brought in VIA FA. If the cards fall right, OL and DB could both be addressed in round 1. It will be fun to see how it all shakes out.

Just reading this makes me think Las Vegas having us at 60-1 odds is a bit too nice. Let's give Peyton a 8 year deal, that would be the fastest way to turn us around, maybe. He likes domes, he has created stud WR's out of the Austin Collie's, Anthony Gonzalez, Pierre Garcon, etc. and Reggie Wayne collected checks this year since he knew running those patterns there was not much chance this year. We are the best at recycling QB's, we can't break tradition now lol. Let's ask Red McComb ? Purple pride baby.

Wonder where pier is hiding these days now that its pretty clear you DO need a defense to win a championship. Name the last team that won a superbowl that had a rotten defense? Answer.....its never happened..

crazy

Um, the answer is the Giants from two days ago.

Their defense was ranked 27th or something. New England (the other team in the Super Bowl this year) was worse.

If you think that is wrong, then you're disagreeing with the various news outlets and analysts who repeated those stats numerous times over the last two weeks, not to mention the Elias Sports Bureau and the NFL itself.

Yes and the vikings were ranked 21st, proving how misleading stats can be. Pretty sure no one would take the vikings defense over the giants......

I'll take the kind of rotten defense they played against arguably the 2 best offenses in the NFL in GB n NE.....

Pretty sure no one would take the vikings defense over the giants......

They would if they had a decent offense to go with it. Hint: see this year's playoff teams:

Offensive Rank:

1. GB

2. NO

3. NE

4. DET

7. ATL

9. NYG

10. HOU

The top four offenses in the league this year were in the playoffs, and 7 of the 10 playoff teams were in the top 10.

Defense wins championships? Not so much.

And, if you'd happen to notice, none of those teams did it with any great rushing game but for Houston.

How much did Minnesota pay Peterson again???

Yeah, good luck with that.

When the giants win the superbowl by only scoring 21 points and hold Tom Brady to 17, I have a hard time buying that defense had nothing to do with winning this championship......

....and yes I understand that its a Qb league. But the notion that defense is meaningless in todays game is garbage. I mean we were 2 plays away from a 49ers vs ravens bowl. Flacco vs Alex Smith? It could have just as easily been 2 teams who run the ball and play phenomenal defense playing that game.