• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Getting Discouraged

mmeyer

Man I'm really starting to get discouraged. I just started spearing this year. I've been out 4 times to places that others have been getting fish but I haven't seen any good fish yet. Just as it was getting dark once I saw 3 little ones but that's it. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. I've only actually been out with someone once so I'm not experienced at all.

I'm hoping someone can give me some tips. I've been using a live decoy about 12" long, I put it down about 3-4 feet while fishing in 6-8 ft of water over weeds. 3 of the times out I used an old mankato that was given to me. There's no holes but the canvas is pretty thin and quite a bit of light comes through when it's bright. Can this be a big problem? The other time I was out I used my new FatFish. I would prefer to use that all of the time but I'm concerned about the lack of floor and clear ice. I used some rugs around the hole to prevent slipping but afterwards I thought maybe the fish could see the odd shapes and movement inside.

Are these things that I should be concerned about or is going out 4 times without seeing anything normal?

Please help, I'm getting very anxious to get my first fish!

Thanks

mix it up get some regular wooden decoys to, if you have only been out 4 times i wouldnt worry about it, its been a slow year for me compared to last year just keep going out and try some new areas.

I agree with mrklean. I don't think its anything your'e doing wrong it just takes time quite often.

Alot of guys use hub or flip over houses with some rugs down and have alot of success.

Yeah it's been pretty bad this year, I think once some snow falls(and stays), if that ever happens...things are going to turn around. Just stick with it.

i would put down some mats. it helps muffles any sounds of your feet on the ice & hides movement. having a house that allows light in can be a problem too since it will look like a beacon of light coming down your hole. also, try going a little deeper. those fish may be real skittish in the shallower water especially if its a pressured lake. good luck to ya & hopefully you stick your first fish soon!

So you're saying that I shouldn't spear my decoy yet? I'm glad to hear that I'm not he only one. My buddy who got me going has been getting a bunch, so that makes it hard. I'll keep at it.

As far as my hub house goes, am I understanding that it's ok that I don't have the entire floor covered, just partially with some mats? My FatFish is much darker than the old Mankato so that would solve that problem.

Thanks again. I'll post pics if I actually stick something other than my decoy. smile

This season has been different then usual. I've been using only the live sucker in the hole and not the wooden one at all, with good results. They are attacking the live decoy and then I spear them. I would move to another spot or another lake if I didn't see any. Years ago I would spear in 6 to 8 feet of water but the last few years I spear in 12 to 14 feet and see many more fish. I used to see 3 or 4 in a weekend and now I usually see 3 or 4 an hour. Sundays usually are the worst days for spearing because of all the comotion on the lakes. I've had very good spearing on weekdays. Good luck.

your not alone MM I have just gotten out Foru times this season and I have speared many, many years and I havent even seen a pike yet. Just keep at it and soon you will be rewarded..

Keep at it you'll have better days to come. Don't know what the lake you have been out on is like so don't know what to tell you but my personal preference is to go deeper. I tend to go for 12 feet if not a little deeper depending on the structure of the area. There will be days of no or very few fish and others of non stop action. It's been a good year for myself so far with seeing good numbers with a good variety of fish(northerns, walleyes, white fish and lake trout). Keep at it and don't give up.

If you're in 12-14 fow how deep are you putting your decoy? I would guess maybe 6ft? Are you working a breakline most times or flats?

Thanks again for the help.

I don't normally run my decoy that deep. Pike see up and they often cruise right under the ice looking for bait fish.

Yep I have speared pike in 20 plus fow and only run the decoy at the most 3 foot down and as close as a foot under the ice

But I do know guys that have chucked a spear to get a pike that deep wink

Ok, you guys are great! This helps tremendously. I have just been learning from my buddy. He's doing well but he said he never spears in more than 6-8 FOW. Good to know.

One more quick question about this if you don't mind. Since you are only fishing 3ft down, are you then not worrying so much about water clarity as long as you can see well enough for your spearing depth?

Yes kinda its always nice to see the bottom but for instance I'm in 5 fow now and can barley see bottom and its like that all over he lake and the guys that are speasring now are doing very well. My decoy is down 2 foot

Alot of guys want it clear and its nice but I like the water a tad dingy I think the pike are not as spooky in those waters. I'm not saying that all pike in clear water are spooky but in my experience thats what I have encountered

With the clarity I still like being able too see bottom,it gets to be a long day just looking at the decoy. My normal depths are 10 to 14 feet and like the others run my decoys 3 feet down and that's were most of my fish are speared,I do have a back weighted spear and can take the ones that like to come thru deep but most come in to play with the decoys.

most of the fish i got this year have been near the bottom,i usually use two decoys one shallow and one deep. one fish friday one fish sat,pretty slow. oh ya red & white seems to my best

That's great info. Thanks everyone! I'll be out on Friday trying these new techniques. If anyone has anymore to share, feel free to throw them out. smile I'll make good use of them.

If I'm in 12-14 ft of water It most likely on a break. I like to run both a live sucker and a decoy. I tend to run the sucker a foot or so deeper than the decoy this keeps the decoy from tangling up with the decoy when he swims as he tends to swim under the decoy and not around the decoy string. And I'll run them from 6-8 feet deep. I also don't move my decoy much, might just take and twist the line in my fingers once in awhile just to make it rotate a little. This it just my way and seems to work for me but you will find what you feel works best for you.

That's great info. Thanks everyone! I'll be out on Friday trying these new techniques. If anyone has anymore to share, feel free to throw them out. smile I'll make good use of them.

You just have to "feel" the fish out. Some days they like it when you jig your artificial fast and frequently, other days its best left untouched. I always run a live sucker and vary my technique with my artificial until I find what they like. On days when its slow and i'm not sure what to do or on days they are charging in full speed i'll throw a spoon combination down and spin it.

Thats the fun part of the sport trying to fool them!

Don't give up. Last year I went 12 time out, never saw a northern, plenty of walleyes no biters though, perch and sunfish. This year first time out, 7 fish, got 3. I had to put the spear out side so I wouldn't do something foolish blush. I look down the hole and thank the man upstairs for the time.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Here's a Q's for you guys. I have not speared in about 20 years are more but still have my spear and decoys. Do most of you pull your block of ice out of the water or push it under the ice? If you push it under do you think it spooks the fish if it's hanging around under the ice only a few feet from your hole? confused

I have always pushed it under the ice and never had an issue with seeing fish or spooking them. My house stays in the same spot pretty much all season. Just clear the snow from around the houseblock it up and let it freeze for a few days before I pull it off.

This friday is the 13th. Maybe M. Meyer shouldn't go spearing. Jason could come up out of the hole and pull him in. Just a thought. If you go, you will probably spear a nice one. P.S. I deer hunt with a M. Meyer, a Jason, and Chucky.

Here's a Q's for you guys. I have not speared in about 20 years are more but still have my spear and decoys. Do most of you pull your block of ice out of the water or push it under the ice? If you push it under do you think it spooks the fish if it's hanging around under the ice only a few feet from your hole? confused

I pull mine out. When you leave a spot it freezes over alot faster with the block back in.

This friday is the 13th. Maybe M. Meyer shouldn't go spearing. Jason could come up out of the hole and pull him in. Just a thought. If you go, you will probably spear a nice one. P.S. I deer hunt with a M. Meyer, a Jason, and Chucky.

That's funny stuff. LOL. About the ice block, I'm very surprised that the vast majority of people leave the block sitting out instead of marking the hole with a stick. Doesn't seem very smart.

I pull mine out. When you leave a spot it freezes over alot faster with the block back in.

+1 they freeze shut a lot faster

That's funny stuff. LOL. About the ice block, I'm very surprised that the vast majority of people leave the block sitting out instead of marking the hole with a stick. Doesn't seem very smart.

Just so i'm explaining myself correctly I pull my block out and put it next to my house. When I move my perm house or take my portable off the lake I put it back in and mark it with sticks.

I would never leave the block sitting on the ice or leave the hole without it being marked and I hope noone else does that either. Its extremely dangerous.

If I find a open hole or block sitting out I push their block in and mark them if the hole is froze up I break it down with my chisel,I couldn't take finding out someone was injured from a situation were I could have changed the outcome by taking a few minutes of my time and correcting others mistakes.